AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do yout think getting angry at work helps you progress?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Do yout think getting angry at work helps you progress? Reply with quote

Do yout think getting angry at work helps you progress up the career ladder?

This appears to be the findings of some recent research. Read more at the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7918622.stm
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can certainly help. John Kotter's process of change model includes as its first stage instilling in people a sense of urgency so it plays on the fear and so called negative emotions to motivate change and action.

There is also much to be said for a candid approach to internal communication. Jack Welch was a big fan of candor in business and made it a cultural thing at GE that people were open with their views.

Quote:
A remarkable absence of candor in the workplace represents one of the most significant obstacles to companies' success, he said. "In a bureaucracy, people are afraid to speak out. This type of environment slows you down, and it doesn't improve the workplace." Instead, Welch called for developing a corporate culture that encourages and rewards honest feedback. "You reinforce the behaviors that you reward," he explained. "If you reward candor, you'll get it."

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/headlines/vftt_welch.shtml
Sparkey
Executive PA
Executive PA

66 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if getting angry, in itself, is helpful, but it makes a lot of sense to me that those who are able to control and channel their anger (& other "negative" emotions) positively are likely to do better than those who either fly off the handle, or, totally suppress their anger.

I agree that being able to speak one's mind in the workplace is definitely a positive thing, from a people, and a business, point of view. Am lucky enough to work in that kind of office at the moment, and the difference it makes, compared to other places I've worked, is very noticable.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that showing your anger can be a weakness sometimes. It's also easier to beat an angry person in any argument or debate because they're not being as rational as they might otherwise be.

If you can control it and channel it (and plot revenge!) then maybe that'll work.
lelah
Temp

6 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: hello.. Reply with quote

I think that being able to speak one's mind in the workplace is definitely a positive thing, from a people, and a business, point of view.
patty1986
Secretary
Secretary

18 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would depend in the way that you show that you are angry.
Jobs in HR
Environmental Jobs
Scootek
Executive PA
Executive PA

65 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channeled anger that can be turned into something positive. Like when someone says you can't do something, and you make it your challenge to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum