AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web design without programming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Design Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rouqger
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Web design without programming Reply with quote

Hi,
I run a retailed garment shop and can afford little money for advertisement. Ive been told that hiring a web designer is a costly affair. Can any one tell me some simple steps to build my website from development to publishing on the web without programming?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered having an eBay shop?

See http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/start.html

You'll pay a monthly fee (and a commission on your sales, I assume) but if you're not expecting to do high volumes, this might be a more cost effective option than hiring a web designer.

Of course, it has its limitations compared to having a professionally designed site, but I suppose it all boils down to how successful a medium you think the internet will be for your business.

Good luck.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an alternative, perhaps you could barter. You could offer to do something you're skilled at in return for someone to provide you with web design services.

I have a contact who has just set up a website especially for the purpose of swapping goods and services. Presumably there are other places where you can barter too.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and another possibility on that front is to find a web designer who is prepared to do you a website for free, but on the assumption that there will be a revenue share arrangement if the site does well.

I know some designers who have worked on those terms before. Problem is, sometimes when the site does well, the owner realises he/she would have done better by paying for a site in the normal manner and sometimes finds he/she wants to move the goalposts as a result. If you do go down that route, you need a very clear agreement between the two parties involved.
pxtechnology
Secretary
Secretary

6 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: REply Reply with quote

you can use blog technology and readymade software and tool which can make easily site for you....

i think blog is best way for you
Cityfan
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is an editor, this will allow you to type in your wording and add pictures, a bit like a word processor, you then save the file and upload it to your domain.

In fact, I started out making webpages in microsoft word. Instead of saving the file with .doc on the end, you change the file type to html and it works fine. Most editors work quite like this, and there are a lot of free ones about. Go to wikipedia.com and type in html editor and it brings up a page that compares them all, with links so that you can look at their sites. The easiest ones to use are WYSIWYG or What You See Is What You Get, and most also have the facility to upload the file too.

The only complicated bit is uploading the finished file, but whoever you have your domain registered with, should have some help pages explaining how to set up your ftp details (these are the details needed to access and upload to you www - domain)
Clever Little Alex
PA
PA

39 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a number of out of the box solutions that you can take advantage of. You can look all of the following up on Google:.

osCommerce
Magento
Zen Cart
Actinic

Of those 4, I'd probably recommend osCommerce first and foremost, although Magento looks very promising. Just needs a little more time to mature - it's a bit unstable at the moment in my experience.

These are basically free shop systems, that don't require any real programming knowledge - they're pretty much point and click management. As cityfan said, the only bit that could pose you problems is uploading the site, but you should be able to sort this out with someone with experience very quickly. An experienced person would be able to get a simple osCommerce installation up and running in an hour or so.
beijinger
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hire someone for 30-100 bucks on sites like getafreelancer, who can help you install readily available eCommerce programs and make things run. You can also hire someone to build things from scratch if you want a simple website.
Clever Little Alex
PA
PA

39 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beijinger wrote:
You can also hire someone to build things from scratch if you want a simple website.

That's true, but I wouldn't advise that people go that route if they're on a budget - relying on someone else to keep your totally bespoke business website up to date can get very expensive, and also take time.

Much better to try and find a solution that you can keep up to date easily yourself, without any technical skills - it'll pay off in the long run.
Techboy
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried Squarespace.com ? - 14 day free trial.
eonic
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Web design without programming Reply with quote

rouqger wrote:
Hi,
I run a retailed garment shop and can afford little money for advertisement. Ive been told that hiring a web designer is a costly affair. Can any one tell me some simple steps to build my website from development to publishing on the web without programming?

You may need to weigh up the costs with how much a website designer costs and how much it costs you in time to build. Also how much would it cost you if the design was wrong and gave the wrong message off?
gosolo
PA
PA

27 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a product called kZoink! that I had just launched recently.

It provides you Website Builder which can help you build more than just a normal website but also a networking community site.

It's a ready-made website that all you have to do is update the content and it's all yours!

You have the control to publish your members posts and articles.

It has a built-in "free business/classifieds listing" (similar to Craigslist) that you can offer your members.

And it has SEO features built-in as well.

As far as eCommerce, you can use PayPal which you can easily integrate with any type of website.

Let me know if you're interested, I can help you out.
alaina
Temp

3 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can develop your website yourself by using the open source platform like Joomla, Prestashop and Word press. you just need to enter the content of your website and its outlay. This platforms done all the coding on the back end. Or the alternatively you can get the Templates like Joomla Templates, E Commerce Templates through different Website Templates. And you need to Install it and your website would be ready.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not an ecommerce site with thousands of pages, you can probably use Wordpress or Joomla. You can buy a premium template, have it installed and customized by the template developer for a small set fee and then load your content and change passwords once it's done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Design Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum