AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Skittles overlay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: The Skittles overlay Reply with quote

Just wondering, from a technical point of view, how did Skittles develop their overlay website?
Sparkey
Executive PA
Executive PA

66 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like a flash site with the background site (in my case Wiki) displayed in an iframe, if that's any help?
Personally I think it's a bloody horrible site, but then I'm not a big fan of Flash. The way it's set up might technically be considered cloaking by the search engines, although it's pretty minor, so I'd be surprised if they'd get hit for it. *shrug*
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking in the source code it seems to be javascript. I agree that for an Internet site it's not something that works for me, but I'm looking at it from an Intranet/internal communications point of view.
Sparkey
Executive PA
Executive PA

66 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definitely JS under the hood, though I couldn't tell you exactly what it's doing. *shrug*
Pretty sure the following line is the one that's creating the overlay effect though, (or at least the bit that's displaying wiki as a background):
<div id="container">
<iframe id="myiframe" name="myiframe" src="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skittles_(confectionery)" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" ></iframe>
</div>

EDIT: Actually I am kind of curious if skittles had to obtain permissions from the sites who they're using as backgrounds; The specific pages they're using are about Skittles, &/or set up by them, but the bottom line is they're still displaying content from someone elses site. Confused

Also have to wonder whether their disclaimer, regarding the content of the background pages, has any real weight, after all, they are choosing to display this content as part of their site, it's not like it's just a featured link, which the visitor has a choice about clicking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Programming Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum