AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are advantages of starting your own business forum?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Starting a Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vortex2000
PA
PA

41 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: What are advantages of starting your own business forum? Reply with quote

What are the advantages of starting your own business forum in relation to your own business? Is it worth the upkeep of one.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a lot of work to create, nurture and maintain. What benefit would having a forum bring to your customers?
Sparkey
Executive PA
Executive PA

66 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much work a forum is to maintain will depend largely on the nature of your business, & the kinds of people who are likely to use your products. I was part of the admin team of a busy (10k+ members) forum for a UK based game developer for about 3 years, and at times, especially around releases, or when a game was waiting for a patch, it was a lot of work to keep things calm & generally as tidy and family-friendly as a corporate site should be.
Still that was the games industry & a large part of our user base were teens, who aren't always the most reasonable or co-operative people. Id imagine that most other areas of business wouldn't have so many unruly customers, so keeping a forum clean and tidy probably wouldn't be as much work.

I'd absolutely say that a forum can be a very useful way for a business to interact with it's customers, but only if a company representative is going to be able to take to the time to keep an eye on things, deal with questions & provide customer feedback. If you don't think you're going to be able to use the forum like that, it might actually be counter-productive to have one, since if you aren't going to have the time to engage with your customers through it you may just come across as if you don't care enough to bother.
Just my tuppence Smile
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums are potential moneymakers if they really take off but the reality is that only a very, very select few truly 'make it'. (Sadly this isn't one of those cases. Razz ) I think what forums do offer, however, is the opportunity to network with others on a first-hand basis. Obviously, you can achieve this by just being a forum member also, though, but the opportunities are perhaps made easier (maybe because you will spend more time there than most) if you are the admin.

As to whether it's worth the work, that's kind of hard to measure really, and answers to that question will no doubt vary from one admin to another.

Aaron
Sourcing Connections
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as with most things, there are pro's and con's. A community forums could be potentially very useful with regard to getting feedback from customers in order to improve your service and many members are often quite outspoken and are not afraid to tell you if something needs improving. So in terms of developing your business and getting feedback in order to guage whether what you are currently doing is working - then yes they can be worth it. The con's would probably relate most to the amount of time it would take to manage your forums, as if you build up a substantial membership number the amount of threads to monitor could become overwelming and you will always have to deal with people either bad mouthing you or trying to make adverts on your site (i.e spam). I think you need to weigh these things up and decide whether the rewards are worth the time you are going to have to invest in this project.

all the best

Sourcing Connections
frdsmth9
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can work for some job all your life, and get fired in one day.

If you are working on Building your business everyday, there is no boss, you can not get fired. And a cool thing, you can pass that business down for generations, generation to generation.

if you work, you can't pass your position down. Even the greatest jobs in the world: Doctors lawyers, Architects

A doctor can't make his son a doctor just cause? Their kids would have to go to college for 10 years just to be eligable to have a similar position. And a business, you can arrange so that it works for you while you are not around.
iamjohns
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advantages: Be your own boss.
Earn your own money, not make other people rich for your work.
You are in control of everything (work hours, etc).

Disadvantages: No vacation time
No sick time
Can lose money
Can turn into a work-a-holic
Sachin
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting your own business from scratch gives you the leeway of doing everything your own way...but you've also got to struggle through all of the decisions regarding products/services to offer, naming, and pricing all on your own.

So, it really all depends on how much business ownership latitude you REALLY want.
iamjohns
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will probably help in letting you advertise well and probably hear alot of points of views about experienced people when it comes to this field which is a great recomendation in order for you get more experience
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamjohns wrote:
Disadvantages: No vacation time

Why should running your own business forum stop you from enjoying vacation time? Now that we are in an age of mobile internet, there's no reason why you can't juggle other responsibilities with things that you enjoy. You need to get along to the Aardvark Travel forum... Wink

Aaron
iamjohns
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well because you run the business and you have to take care of stuff when no one can because your the most person who knows whats right from wrong and the best playmaker in the company
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I don't think that means you have to be at your computer 24/7.

Aaron
beijinger
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I t has many benefits, you will have more traffic from search engines, users will create contents for your, your website will be always fresh with new content.
But, it is very hard to lead a successful forum , usually you would like to cover as many topics as possible in your forum in order to reach broader audience, it is unlikely for you to be expert in each topic, so you have to attract experts to your forum to answer questions, if you can do that you will see the success in short time. Usually that is very hard, thats why people offering pay per post or other benefits like "ants" in this forum. So the real question is how you can attract and benefit experts , active yours on your forum.
footscray
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

advantages

give traffic and backlinks to site
answer the needs of your customer
know their feedbacks
build reputation

disadvantages

hard to maintain or update
takes time to be successful
need to attract more forum members
finvik
Executive PA
Executive PA

53 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beg to differ with all of you around. i think startuing a forum related to your niche is a tough job, the worst part is when you are trying to make your forum stand there would be loads of spammers & bots to kill your forum,, it is huge investment in terms of time and money!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Starting a Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum