AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business Mentors?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Business Mentors? Reply with quote

I was thinking I needed a bit of a kick up the bum so I had a look into the idea of maybe trying to find a business mentor. First stop - Google. I looked at every site, which might be of interest, on the first few pages but found very little of any use.

I now wonder about the quality of many of these so-called mentoring services. One thing that made me laugh was an entry along the lines of "I am currently training to be a business coach. Can anyone mentor me in starting up a business as a business coach?" Shocked

There's also a lot of guff from the get-rich-quick crowd who offer 'mentoring'.

I know it's not realistic to hope for a dragon, but there must be something good out there which doesn't cost the earth.

Any ideas?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you want a physical one that meets you or works in your office?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely online only. I don't have a large budget for this. Ideally I'd like someone to look at some of my sites and give me some ideas of how to take them up a notch or two, but I don't want to do it on a public forum.

I might also need to go through my portfolio and try to offload some of the stuff, but I've next to no experience of selling domains or websites. I could be doing with some hand-holding to get me through that. I did join a domaining forum but got a message from them saying I'd got a lifetime ban. I've really no idea why as I hadn't even made one posting. I was reading the forum rules prior to posting when the ban message came through.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything that offers this off the top of my head. I'm working for a management network though so it's duly noted.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Adi. I'm not really looking for a consultancy company, just a very web savvy person to give me a bit of a boost now and again. Perhaps a few hours would do the trick or maybe even a few hours a month.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm sorted now. But the questions still remain about business mentoring in general.

Has anyone here done business mentoring?
Did anyone here have a business mentor?
Did it help?
Is there too much BS?
Any opinions?
janicepink
PA
PA

22 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre looking for a mentor then i could refer you to businessownersonline.
It's a site who specializes sorts of business coaching and mentoring.
I think they will be of great help in your business.
just visit this http://businessownersonline.com/
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should really know better than to click on a spam link Embarassed
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a good excuse to ban janicepink for her insightful <cough> rubbish.

That one will do me.

Goodbye, Janice. Wave

To Kay... I'm not sure if it's a service he offers, but you might like to drop Old Welsh Guy a note, pointing out this thread. If he can't help you himself, I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul. Good idea re OWG but I'm pretty much sorted for the time being.

Goodbye from me too, Janice. Clap
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with a local business coach (here in Sydney) and found it a real benefit.

I found him via word of mouth. A friend of mine had me with him and had nothing but praise for him.

The key to working with a business coach or a mentor is being prepared to do the work required to make it worthwhile for BOTH parties.

When I was preparing for my online magazine I had it all too much in my head, running circles and starting to do me in. Explaining it to Shane made me focus on the key issues and get more direction while he had two simple and logical ideas that can earn $10,000 each year - all because he had experience from so many other different businesses, he could see how various business models interconnect.

As for the cost of the sessions, we had 3 free visits and then agreed on a price that worked with my budget. Shane does a heap of corporate work so gets paid big dollars there and has just a few small creative clients that keep him sparking.

I think you need to be clear with what you want (which you seem to be) and put the word out there and you'll get the right one. I'd say your BS radar is fairly well tuned so don't be concerned about that - you don't have to deal with someone who is crap.

All the best with it!

Advertise in our Women's Magazine online.
Sachin
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business Mentors focuses on building the foundation of a successful company. Growth and profitability are more easily achieved when the fundamentals are in place.

Business Mentors has the skills to meet the needs of your company.
RobTothDotCom
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt there are "guff" service providers ... don't know if that's from the "get rich quick" crowd or just those who are doing a piss poor job pitching services to those (such as you) who are ready for the mentor.

As you noted... the problem is sorting the credible experts from the wannabes.

Furthermore (and this is a big one for me)... it's also sorting the experts that know how to TEACH and COACH vs just those who are specialized knowledged experts but haven't got a clue of how to properly impart their knowledge on you.

I have done coaching. It has worked out well for clients. 13 pages of testiimonials and all sorts of lead conversion, lead gen, sales increase stats to prove in. Not here to pitch my service though... but I want to make one valid point: the reason I was actually of use to the clients was because "being a business coach" is not my primary business. In fact, it's just a small part of it.

Basically ... with any skill set...

You can learn it and do it.
You can learn it and teach it (ie: sell it but not necessarily have ever done it).
OR... the best ones...
You can learn it, do it and THEN teach it.

There are a good 1001+ things I'm an absolute knob at... but a handful of things that I know based on having done it. THAT is what made me useful to clients.

Again, no link, no pitch... BUT, consider the above when you select. Look into the person's credibility not just on paper, but in terms of the businesses they've actually invested their own time and money into.

And you may get a kick out of this next part but it makes sense when you think about it... I have offered my time for coaching/consulting and will do so in the future, but indeed I'm shopping around for a mentor/coach in one specialized area for a particular business model. It's an area of weakness for me but I see a lot of profit opps in it. But since I have minimal hands on experience with it... I'd rather find a qualified expert for it.

Cheers,
Rob
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few hours my mentoring sort of fell by the wayside, but it was a very worthwhile experience all the same.

It turned out that my mentor is a personal friend and mentee himself of Philip Kotler. (Wow!) I have several Philip Kotler books in the house which had been gathering dust. (I'd only bought them because of a course I was doing.) It gave me the heads up to drag them out again. Very useful!

I believe some people are very good at doing this sort of thing, but too often you get people who are clueless and just see it as an easy way to make money online. By the way, I offered to pay for my mentor's time but he didn't want any money, he was pleased to help.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it mention about branding in those Kotler books Kay? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum