AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our new company site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Website Review Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Our new company site Reply with quote

OK... this is a small, very plain site for our company, and perhaps needs a bit of background explanation first. For several months, we've just had a holding page sitting there saying 'new website coming soon'. In short, we've been too busy.

We used to (and still do) create websites for travel-related businesses, mostly accommodation providers. However, over the years, our emphasis has shifted more towards affiliate marketing. We still create travel sites, but they are in-house projects which we fully own and run, and our revenue comes largely from commissions on accommodation bookings. These sites are very successful and so we wish to place the emphasis of our efforts in this area.

We're not really looking to push our hosting and web design services but at the same time we of course won't turn our back on someone who wants a website. As it's not something we actively sell, the sites that we do nowadays are usually for existing clients wanting a re-design or a new site for another project, or recommendations from existing clients.

In short, what this means is that - strange though it might seem - our own website isn't really trying to sell anything! It feels a bit odd saying that but it's true. In effect, all it needs to be is a basic presence outlining what we do so that we at least look a credible business should someone happen to click through.

With all that in mind, what do you think of the site? ( http://www.dedicate.co.uk )

We know it's very simple but it's kind of deliberately so. Comments good or bad welcomed.

Paul
thamma
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Simple yet powerful site with PR 5. Nice work...
Clever Little Alex
PA
PA

39 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the site achieves it's goal of outlining the company's clients and services well. The information is easy to find and it's not too confusing to find your way around.

The colours are professional and sensible. At first glance the copy on the site appears to be well written and tidy.

Contact details are clearly laid out on each page, which is always important. No phone number though - but I'm guessing that's intentional, and therefore isn't really a website issue.

Possible improvements:
The name of the company/the company logo on each page. It's always important to try and get your business' name into your clients' and potential clients' conciousness.

A menu that showed the structure of the site would be a bonus - the links at the bottom of pages can be a little disorienting on their own. The addition of a simple menu in a fixed place on each page would help users keep their bearings much more easily.

The page as a whole would look better in the center of the viewable area, as opposed to up against the left hand edge - the majority of action should always take place nearer the center of the stage.

The blue curve background doesn't tile downwards - on larger monitors, the tiling of the background looks really broken. With a slightly different background style, tiling issues could be resolved and file sizes brought down too.

The popup contact form is a bit of a no-no. The majority of newer browsers will block popups like these. Much better to incorporate the contact form into an HTML page in the same way as all your other content.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the trouble to look, Alex.

Yes, the omission on the telephone number is deliberate. We'd sooner people contact us by email.

You make a number of other useful points which I need to look at in turn. I don't usually have my monitor set to anything larger than 1024x768 so I need to dabble with the settings some time and see how (bad) it looks at larger resolutions...

Thanks again,

Paul
Cityfan
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have trouble with monitor sizes too. I currently have a large size 1060 x 1680 as I don't think many people use anything this big, and I also check it on a smaller laptop too. Getting everything to stay in place in relation to everything else properly though is a complete pain.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cityfan wrote:
Yeah, I have trouble with monitor sizes too. I currently have a large size 1060 x 1680 as I don't think many people use anything this big, and I also check it on a smaller laptop too. Getting everything to stay in place in relation to everything else properly though is a complete pain.

Are you referring specifically to this particular site, or are you just speaking in general terms?
Cityfan
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just generally. I didn't have quite as much to add as has already been said in the post above, but the screen size issue is something that I have problems with, so it caught my eye.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... but the thread is about a specific site. Are you experiencing problems viewing it with your screen resolutions?
Cityfan
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is on my big monitor full screen, and here it is on my laptop on 800 x 600. Now admittedly these are the extremes, but you get my point.
I do know of people who still use very low screen resolutions, because they like the size of things, and I've noticed a lot of people don't really utilise big monitor acreage. For instance, everyone in our office except me always views everything full screen, rather than having things tiled or overlapping around their screen, (which I think helps a better workflow, but I digress).
What I've found is sometimes it pays to have things positioned in a relative manner instead of absolute.

business-car-insurance.me.uk/images/smallres.jpg
business-car-insurance.me.uk/images/bigres.jpg

Overall though, your site has a very clean design.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. That highlights the need to address the point raised by CLA re: making the background graphic tile downwards.

Paul
gnsn
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

I like that "contact us" is visible from the start. At times I find myself searching for a contact link on other sites for a while. I like that it is simple, but conveys the purpose effectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Website Review Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum