AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me to make website to work with all browers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Design Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriss_harries
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Help me to make website to work with all browers Reply with quote

Hi,

I am freelancer web designer. i have developed some websites to my client. but some of them are showing broken with some of the browsers. no fitting to all browers. anyone can help me? it will be a great helpful for my future carrier.

Thank you for reading my msg,

Thanks,
Chirss
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably help to have an address if you want someone to look into this. Kind of impossible to comment without seeing the site and having a bit more information.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to hire a web designer I would expect them to already be competent at achieving cross-browser compatibility. It's kinda scary that someone is in this business, charging for their services, and doesn't know the basics.

Are you sure you're ready for this career? Presumably that's what you meant when you wrote "carrier".
Clever Little Alex
PA
PA

39 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best advice for this would be to write everything according to the HTML 5 specification, as set out by the W3C (look them up on Google). Make sure you specify this at the top of the HTML document. That'll cause browsers to perform in as similar a way as possible. Firefox is pretty good at conforming, Internet Explorer... less so. But it's standards compliance is getting better.

Another tip is to avoid bells and whistles. Good websites get a user to the information they need quickly (I mean, very quickly) and easily, without slowing them down with crazy graphics, tiny text or a confusing layout.
chrisponpon
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a site that works great on FireFox an looks ugly on IE
Techboy
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use sites such as browsershots.org

Find out what works and what doesn't.

Be aware of common issues with different browsers (XHTML and CSS).
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: website design Reply with quote

Yeh i think its very critical that you get your website working across all browsers, but it can be difficult becuase of the rate that browsers keep changing these days!!!

Just came across WCS browser stats
w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

its quite interesting to see Firefox the most dominant browser. I have to say I quite like Firefox myself!
Techboy
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually FireFox is not the most dominant browser on the Internet. Internet Explorer is (by a big margin). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Most large companies have strict IT policies to only allow IE.

Below the table you looked at, read the text:

Quote:
W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.

Anyway, our data, collected from W3Schools' log-files, over a five year period, clearly shows the long and medium-term trends.
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: browsers Reply with quote

yeh, alot of Companies, It or not, only allow Internet Explorer, i think they can tie it down easier! So internet Explorer would seem the predominant Browser, but its good practice to ensure it works across all other browser.

Best thing to do is add a statistic counter to your website like statcounter.com they generally tell you the browser of your visitors, so you can see for yourself!
Techboy
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever Little Alex wrote:
My best advice for this would be to write everything according to the HTML 5 specification, as set out by the W3C

Bad advice! See http://www.findmebyip.com/litmus#target-selector and http://www.deepbluesky.com/blog/-/browser-support-for-css3-and-html5_72/

Only the latest browsers will have HTML 5 support - and even then it is lacking.

My advice is to ask programming related questions in relevant forums. Try http://www.stackoverflow.com
punita_london
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: office Space New-York Reply with quote

You should take help of w3cschool website.It would be helpful to you.
PitchYourCase
PA
PA

32 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should do some thorough cross browser testing, make some adjustments and test it along all the browsers, it's hard work but shows professionalism and is worth it in the end.

Regards
timpane
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe they can bind it down easier! So internet Explorer would appear the predominant Browser, but its good perform to double-check it works over all other browser.
planetZest
Executive PA
Executive PA

58 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best trick here is IE conditional css statements! easy to find online and covers the problem brosers *cough* from microsoft Smile

Most of the time, what displays well on FF, will display well on Safari, chrome, opera. (reinterate, most of the time) Wink
am
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responsive design. A good example is The Boston Globe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Design Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum