AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best E-Book Tools and Formats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Starting a Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Best E-Book Tools and Formats Reply with quote

I've always liked the concept of selling e-books - write it once, sell it many times - but have been a little confused as what's the best application to write them in.

I'd initially thought I'd just do a pdf but that seems lame. I was at a Writer's Festival and the publishers were saying that they produce online books in 5 different formats - a very expensive method.

There seems to be so many choices and each is very good at promoting themselves as being the best.

Figuring out the delivery method is more daunting at this stage than doing the research and writing the material for the topics I have in mind.

So what do you think are the best ones, what are the worst, what should I look out for?

Thanks for your help.

Advertise in our Women's Magazine online.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I'm a fan of ebooks. I've never bought one and believe that the information in them is invariably (perhaps not always) in the public domain anyway.

As for the medium, I would have thought that anything such as Word or PDF ought to be fine. If you are 'selling' the book based on the file type and not its content, then I think something is awry! Smile
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul you confuse me sometimes with your approach. Of course someone wanting to write an ebook would want to have a good idea of what method of delivery would work best for customers.

When this forum was developed choosing the tool to do it in was an important decision that had nothing to do with the content. The same with any other delivery tool.

paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes... delivery is of some importance. But don't you think 99% of people would be able to handle a Word or PDF file?

I can understand how producing it in Wordperfect (ah, those were the days) might not be appropriate, but so long as you're catering for the vast majority (and I think both Word and PDF ought to do that), then surely you're going to be OK.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the 5 different formats? If you can determine the market share of each format then you have an idea about which are worth persuing and which aren't. For what it's worth, all of the e-books and white papers I've ever downloaded have been in pdf format.
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the publishers didn't say what the 5 various formats are. It was at a Writer's Festival and it came up as a side point to the discussion. I had no idea that they would be publishing one text in so many formats.

I'd only thought in terms of PDF's before but I don't download a heap of e-books and the 5 formats surprised me, I thought I could be out of the loop and should ask.

I'd stay away from a Word format for a few reasons, different versions, ability for viruses to be imbedded too easily, too easy to rip the info off and not everyone has Word.

It was hearing industry people talking that got me seeking to better understand.

Thanks for sharing ideas.

TmasterMind
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of new formats on ebooks lately although haven't tried them yet as I'm really used to PDFs as it gets better reading them. Here are the new formats that I found:

.azw - which is a modified version of Mobipocket or .mobi, having the capability to change the DRM with the serial numbers installed for better security.
turning .azw to .pdb - In here, it says that you'll need to convert the .azw to .mobi through a converter tool Well, first you need to turn the .azw into a .mobi. Then .mobi to .pdb which supports eReader that can look similar with .pdf but with different applications as well upon your convenience.

The need for these change of formats is to have them publicly sold and distributed with secured backups to prevent them from being deleted by affiliate stores.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For creating ebooks I now use Open Office .org writer since it has an inbuilt "save to pdf"
I find it better than Word. It costs nothing.

Are you creating the ebook for free or planning to sell it?

Martyn Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Starting a Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum