AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

False anti-virus declaration as Win32 / Amalum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: False anti-virus declaration as Win32 / Amalum Reply with quote

Anyone who's running CA Anti virus might want to watch out for a glitch in the latest sig file which tries to remove several windows files reported as being infected by Win32 / Amalum virus.

Files like net.exe and similar are mostly affected, but there can be others. This will most likely prompt Windows to then ask for the Service Pack 3 CD which to the best of my knowledge isn't available outside the US (great work Microsoft!).

Best fix seems to be to:

- Click on advanced settings next to CA Anti-virus in CA security centre
- Run an update from the button at the top
- Try going to quaranteen, select the latest files and "restore".
- Don't select the "attempt to clean files" option.

That seemed to work for me although I initially had to tell CA to ignore c:\windows, but after the update it seems to have stopped so suspect they updated the sigs. Sig file i'm using is 6606 (found from Help -> About menu).

With regards the windows message, you can just click cancel then OK away the messages about the world coming to an end etc. Smile

I'm told there's more info on the CA forums, but I can't get that to load currently.

Sidenote - guess they were feeling left out after McAfee's spectacular ability to zap major files on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 recently.

Trev
(borrowing Paul's computer incase anyone's confused)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum