AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accepting reviews on travel websites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Accepting reviews on travel websites Reply with quote

Bit of a legal minefield here, I think, but I'll see if anyone has any comments.

We run a number of travel websites and I know one thing that a customer likes when it comes to travel are first-hand reviews.

It would be a great addition to what we offer but at the same time I'm very wary of the various legal repercussions. Sure, I could have a disclaimer but I don't think that necessarily stops people taking legal action if they're not happy.

And legal repercussions could of course come from two directions: 1) accommodation owners not happy with what someone has said about a place they've stayed in (or not stayed in, in some cases!!!) and 2) consumers who make decisions based on potentially misleading reviews which we happen to publish.

I would have thought that the likes of Tripadvisor have all manner of problems but then they probably also have a big legal department to match. Where does a smaller operate begin with all of this? Or is it all just too risky to even attempt?

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the correct answer to this. But my take on it is: Disclaimer: Reviews are provided for information and entertainment only. We are not responsible for anything you may do or not do based on what you read here...

Dunno if that's good enough, so I looked into getting professional indemnity insurance. Too expensive! The best I can come up with is to have a company that never has any money. The company is the publisher. Sue the company if you want. See you in court! Twisted Evil

As the publisher you're responsible for the content you publish - unless you happen to be Yahoo! or some other giant Evil or Very Mad but that's a different story.
jfslenes
Executive
Executive

193 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reviews May Be Almost Irrelevant? Reply with quote

Paul,

Perhaps folks don't post to nor use reviews as much as one might think. Seems like ma great idea but we have very few reviews.

Using Trip Advisor as the specific site, we have around 100 posts/reviews. How long has TA been around - it's been here 10 years, February 2,000. We've rented 80,000 room nights or more since then. That means 150,000 plus Guests who could have posted. That's less the 7 ten thousanths of 1 percent.

And who most often posts comments? Do both happy and grumpy folks post equally? I'd postulate that the grumpy ones are far more likely to post negative reviews than the happy Guests are.

My end evaluation is those sites are a waste of my time to manage and my time as a travel to read.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I don't agree. I use TA quite a lot and have generally found it useful. Sure, you get some pretty silly reviews. We recently stayed at a resort and one of the TA reviews warned us not to be afraid of the small lizards. Rolling Eyes For heaven's sake anyone who had been anywhere would know that, so I immediately discounted their review as being by someone not very savvy.

On the other hand, we were in KL recently and at a loss for ideas of where to eat. I found a gem of a place via TA. I don't believe all I read on there, but it you can sift out the silly stuff, then I think it is useful.

Personally, I usually only write a review on TA if something was exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. I couldn't be bothered with telling them about everywhere I go - got too many other things to do.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm targetting hotels to add to my internet marketing client base at the moment
My starting point is to check TA, Booking.com & Late Rooms
Often there are conflicting reviews
However the really good places come out with good reviews on all 3, whilst the poor ones come out with 3 bad reviews.
I also pop into their reception to see what literature they have

Rarely do the ones with bad reviews feel attractive when i visit their reception. Its fair to conclude they're hopeless at customer service. I can't help them with marketing if they can't do the basic operations right.

One other point - the reviews appear on Google so if you've had a satisfied customer, give them the url to post a good review.
If you only get your business from local word of mouth people on repeat business then reviews aren't worth that much
But fo anyone coming into your region needing somewhere to stay, the review sites are the first place to go to make a choice.

With the onset of Facebook, Twitter enabling people to continually say what they think, I think the review sites are only going to get more and more important to the hospitality / travel sector. Ignore at your peril.

Martyn
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the OP

Paul
You don't say who is making the review
If it's you then yes I'd imagine you're setting yourself up
If its a 3rd party like on TripAdvisor then I don't see how you can be held accountable for someone elses content though I guess you need the disclaimers.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... to clarify, I had reviews from third parties in mind.

If you're the person publishing the content, then you are responsible for it, even if it's been written by someone else, no?

You can have disclaimers, yes, but I'm not sure how much legal protection they really give you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum