AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Link Building
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidlll
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Link Building Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

We are looking for someone (or company) to do some link building for a couple of websites - ideally someone who is able to get us some effective links from pages with at least a PR3 ranking.

Is there a good link building service anyone here could recommend?

Thanks,
David
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

How about introducing yourself first? How do you expect people to want to help you when we don't even know anything about you?

On the subject of link building, I'd like to give a warning to all Aardvark forum members:

There are a lot of companies (many operating from India and the Philippines) who will offer to do this for you. They are not to be trusted. They'll promise you all sorts of links. And how do they do it? Mostly by spamming blogs and forums. They not only get blacklisted by the search engines but they often get their clients blacklisted too.

I have plenty of info on the subject - if I can be bothered to dig it out.
davidlll
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: links Reply with quote

<<<<<
How about introducing yourself first? How do you expect people to want to help you when we don't even know anything about you?
<<<<
Hmm Delia! I didn't know your cared! By the way, my mother is a great fan of yours - although, I must say that you were a bit of a "hit and miss" affair with the rest of the family. Still, it's not too bad when my mum's efforts turned out to be a total disaster - we then simply phoned for a huge pizza to be delivered! There you go - a little bit of info about myself!

And now back to business:
<<<<<<<
There are a lot of companies (many operating from India and the Philippines) who will offer to do this for you. They are not to be trusted. They'll promise you all sorts of links. And how do they do it? Mostly by spamming blogs and forums. They not only get blacklisted by the search engines but they often get their clients blacklisted too.
<<<<<<
Thanks for this - if you're speaking from your own personal experience ..... and not just repeating the prevailing view out there.
At any rate, we are going to have to rethink our marketing strategies. I am not too sure that a proactive "Link Building" campaign is such a good idea afterall - I have had a quick read of Google's guidelines.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post a reply.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with doing a link building campaign - it could well be a worthwhile thing for you to do. It's just that you need to be very careful about who you hire to do it and how they go about it.

I would expect that most website owners do some sort of link building even if only informally rather than entering into a contract to have it done for them.

Good luck! Feel free to ask if you want any more advice about it.

BTW, my name is NOT Delia. I can't stand the bl**dy woman - but the name is quite handy to have as a keyword. Twisted Evil
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link building is a crucial element of online marketing. The problem comes when short cuts are attempted. That's what Google doesn't like. If you build excellent content that people want to link to then I doubt any search engine will ever have a problem with that.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reinforce my point, try this blog on SEOmoz.

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/why-linkbait-is-a-tactic-the-search-engines-will-always-value
davidlll
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<<<
BTW, my name is NOT Delia. I can't stand the bl**dy woman.
<<<<
I didn't for one minute think you're THE Delia. I was just trying to have some gentle fun with a somewhat hostile and grumpy person who appears to be having a bad Saturday morning. Or maybe it was the night before!

---

Adi, thanks for the link to that SEOmoz article. Randy Fiskin has written some very well researched articles indeed. I remember reading some of his earlier forum posts when he was just getting started in SEO. He has certainly come a long way since.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a poll in the web marketing forum asking for your least favourite online marketing activity and for me it is link building, which is probably why so much of it is outsourced. I guess the problem comes when you don't have a good enough value proposition it comes across as begging or door to door selling. You know? Recently though I've been targeting websites/blogs by writing content for them. Give them something, they give us the link (in the body of text rather than sidebar/footer). Makes it much easier.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, David. Perhaps I was a bit grumpy. (Personal reasons.) Sorry.

In my defence I'd say it looked a bit dodgy to me that your very first posting on here was asking for a recommendation about link building companies. I fully expected you to come back with a different user name and answer your own question. I was wrong, but I think it was a mistake on your part as a person unknown to us to jump in with a first posting like that.

Can we shake and be friends now? Smooch

Back to link building...

What works for me is forum posting and blog commenting. Some people, notably the ones I warned about earlier, make a right hash of this by posting rubbish. But if you do it properly, by joining in discussions and contributing something, then it's invariably welcomed as a win-win. In my guise as Not Delia, I've commented on several food blogs. I've tried to make helpful and positive comments. Not only do I get a link as part of my comment, in many cases I revisit the site and find they've added Not Delia to their blog roll. I've made quite a few friends this way too (despite being a grumpy old git Laughing ).
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider with blog comments, and indeed many forum sig links, is that many are nofollowed. The benefit for me comes in the exposure you get in that environment and the relationships you then build with those authors. Use this to get guest articles etc. on those blogs and the seo benefits arrive from that.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the story on the Indian link builders.

Someone joined our expat forum. They made five pretty useless postings but each one had a link in it. The mod queried it with me on the basis that it didn't look like self promotion as it was five links to five totally different things.

I was immediately suspicious that it might be someone doing a link building campaign by spamming on forums. I was sure I was right but had no evidence. Sure enough, by coincidence (?) that arrived by email the very next day. It was from someone offering to do a link building campaign for us. And you'll never guess what... The sender's email address matched the one of the guy who had been spamming our forum.

Here's the email:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,
Greeting for the Day!
It's our pleasure to share the information that we are offering Reciprocal and One Way Link Building Service in various categories. We are India based SEO company with our main office in Delhi NCR and have a dedicated team of Professional Link Builders who specialize in getting theme based targeted quality links for Client's website.

Our main aim is to provide 100% quality work to all of our estimated clients at very affordable prices and we have very good experience to find the clean and exclusive links from the related sites, therefore our work is very much appreciated by our clients.

We provide you the Reciprocal and One way link building with following essential parameters:

1. We ensure that the page where the webmaster has added our link is cached by Google/Yahoo search engine depending upon the client's requirement.
2. We ensure the committed No of links on that particular link page where we will place your link.
3. We ensure that it should not be a 'FFA' (Free For All) site.
4. We ensure that the sites must be related to the theme of the campaign what we are working for.
5. We ensure the webmaster to use the proper anchor text/description provided to him to place our link at his site.
6. We ensure that no webmaster receives a repeated Link Request Mail for the same campaign.

We strictly work on performance basis and can assure you of getting quality links for your site as well.
Most firms overseas have achieved a significant amount of savings by outsourcing either complete or part of their work to us in India.
We wish you the best of luck for your business and looking forward to a long and healthy business relationship with you and your company.

Waiting for your positive response.
Thanks & Regards
[Name]
Internet Marketing Strategist

Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up on Adi's points:

Quote:
Something to consider with blog comments, and indeed many forum sig links, is that many are nofollowed. The benefit for me comes in the exposure you get in that environment and the relationships you then build with those authors. Use this to get guest articles etc. on those blogs and the seo benefits arrive from that.

Yes, I see what you mean about no-follow, but even though blog comments don't do that much from an SEO point of view, they can still bring in a little extra traffic. As you say, the extra exposure and the relationships forged are invaluable.

I find it all worthwhile anyway. And the best thing is - I enjoy it. Sure, I have it in the back of my mind that I'm doing link building, but for me it's very enjoyable to read other people's blogs and comment on them.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly does no harm to network with the leading bloggers in your niche. If you want to build links then they're going to be key as its a bloody hard job to get anything into the mainstream media (from a linking perspective - why do they never link out???) Evil or Very Mad
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adi, wait for it.... drum roll... I couldn't agree more!

Let's look at the foodie niche as an example. The major broadsheets online (eg Times, Telegraph) quite often do Top Lists. (Paul knows, he's on the Smellygraph's Top List for luxury travel, and good luck to him.) But how they choose these sites is a complete mystery to me.

Several of my mates suggested Not Delia as a site worthy of consideration for the foodie Top List after they'd published last year's one. But not one comment of theirs was ever approved, and they continue to stick with the already in-crowd.

In a couple of months it'll be a whole new round of Top Lists. But will they get off their backsides to look at relative newcomers or will they trot our the same thing? I would bet ants on the latter (and hope to be proved wrong).

Quote:
...its a bloody hard job to get anything into the mainstream media (from a linking perspective...

Rolling Eyes Yeah. I figured - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So I registered for one of their sites thinking that I could make comments which might spark a little interest in Not Delia. What a PITA that was. The registration process was so full of data collection it was unreal. "How old are you? How much do you earn? What size of bra do you wear? Do you enjoy cycling in the nude?". It was very off-putting for me - the site user - to be subjected to this.

Most places simply ask for your name (or username) and email address (will not be published) and, if you're lucky, your website URL. These big mainstream sites have no interest in the user experience, they want your demographics so they can fire their sales crap off at you.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitter can be useful for finding press contacts but it is a major ordeal getting any links from their websites. They don't want folks going elsewhere for anything I guess. Pretty short-termist strategy, which perhaps goes some way to explaining why newspapers are struggling so much right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum