AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between management and leadership?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Difference between management and leadership? Reply with quote

Suppose this old chestnut is a good place to start. What's the difference between management and leadership?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question, Adi.

Leadership isn't the same as management. And often a leader can be doing all kinds of crazy things. It works sometimes.

I've so often thought that a "leader" isn't necessarily a good manager. The leader often isn't the most intelligent person. It's perhaps a silly example, but what about Blake's Seven? Blake was as thick as pig sh!t. Avon was the smart guy. The original Star Trek? Capn Kirk was a ... yeah, you know, and Mr Spock was pretty smart.

You can lead from the front, lead by example, or lead by pushing people from behind. I don't really know. Perhaps you will enlighten us. Smile
Leadership Expert
Executive PA
Executive PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an age-old question.

I tried to give an answer in a blog post a few months ago. I won't link to it in my first ever post for fear of being seen as a spammer though Smile. I'll try and summarise the main points here:

Leaders (In contrast to managers):

Have a long term time horizon to focus on and plan for.

Tend to lean torwards a democratic and inspirational leadership style (at least they're perceived as this anyway)

Have genuine followers as apposed to subordinates by role and title only.

Are more willing to take risks in order to achieve success
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum