AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the key things you'd like to see on a website...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Design Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, that's Kay's posts commented upon. An interesting read.

Returning to the original subject, this is very much a work in progress but I'm having a bit of a dabble with the structure/layout. If you want a sneak preview at a temporary URL, see http://www.kendalcottages.com/temp.htm
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul (as in President Paul Laughing ).

The site is looking good. And the property looks terrific. But it's non-smoking throughout. Urk! Not my kind of place.

I'll have a better look later but, as usual, I'm being dragged away from the computer...
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess people might be able to smoke out on the balcony. I've not given it much thought. Would be difficult to police if they did, in all probability.

The pic that is in place at the moment is actually just a temporary one. It's the balcony of the property next door. Our view is much better and looks down river more.

Paul

PS - You need to kick that ugly habit of yours. Wink
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly habit?

I'll tell Dave you said that about him. Twisted Evil
Techboy
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An off-line recommendation (I don't do too many of these lol).

I stayed here http://www.ullswaterview.co.uk/ in Ullswater 2 years ago and they had a guest book for people to write in before they left. That was a nice touch - reading through peoples comments and adding my own.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've listed "info on facilities". One of the main facilities I'd like to know about is the Internet connection. What's there and is it free? We've had to pay a small fortune for Internet connections in some places we've stayed, so it's a big bonus to get a free Internet connection in the hotel room or property.

For a luxury property, you might also want to put in some travel-size toiletries. Some hotels boast about that sort of thing - it makes the guest feel pampered. (I usually just nick 'em and take them home, but I still like them.)

How about a DVD player? Even if they need to pay extra to rent it for a week.

Umbrellas! Leave a couple of umbrellas in the property for guests to borrow. Or sell them with your logo on them.

I know you're asking about the website rather than the property itself, but I would use the website to talk up all the little extra luxuries that the property has.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This raises an interesting point. When I was previously involved in this business, we felt that sometimes it was nice to 'hold back' on some of the details so people got a pleasant surprise when they arrived. I think that can be handy sometimes, just to give that good first impression on arrival.

We'll provide things like dishwasher tablets, toilet rolls, and possibly some toiletries... but we'll make some of that stuff clear at the onset as it's practical to know some of these things in advance. It would be frustrating for people to have brought loo roll with them if it was already supplied, for instance.

What we might do is something like provide a free bottle of wine on arrival, as a nice surprise - but not mention it beforehand.

My original query was about the site but I'm very happy for the discussion to wander on to issues relating to the property as well. It's all helpful stuff.

For the record, our plan is to provide free WiFi (I think that needs mentioning on the homepage), there will be a DVD player (or a media centre with films on it) and there is a DVD hire place around the corner (we'll probably supply some but I need to check on the regulations there as it sounds like a bit of a minefield); there will be a big flatscreen TV in the lounge/dining/kitchen area (it's all open plan) and smaller ones in each bedroom. Hell, we might even provide a Wii console. Hadn't thought about umbrellas yet but at the last place I was involved in, they were customised and they said "It's fine at [establishment name]" which meant a bit of free advertising when they ventured with them into the Lake District.

Oh, and the plan is to have a comments book in the property and to also, with permission, publish comments on the website.

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of holding back some of the details for that element of surprise and good first impression. As you say, though, it can be frustrating to lug something with you on holiday only to find that it's already been provided.

Definitely mention the WiFi. We stayed at our usual place (above a pub) in Bangkok last week and because they didn't have WiFi before, I didn't even bother taking my computer. I found out when we got there that they had they did now have WiFi. Rolling Eyes I threatened to kill the owner for not telling me, but he just laughed and said it was a tactical move, otherwise I'd spend all day, every day on the computer. I wonder what ever gave him that idea. Laughing
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be useful for this discussion.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/ebusiness/theonlineprofessor/article204910.html
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: facebook Reply with quote

I'd have to highly recommend the company starts using Facebook, that they get a Facebook page, keep it uptdate, well maintained and respond and communicate with their 'Friends' etc.

With so many users on Social Networks these days and over 50% of these people on Facebook, its vitally important that business beome accessible to their potential customers through this network platform!

Also you can now customise your Facebook do it embeds, or contains sections of your own official website. Its fantastic to personalise your Facebook and kep your logo/branding stle throughout your Facebook profile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Design Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum