AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which of these logos do you like?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Graphic Design Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Which of these logos do you like? Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a logo done for a self-catering / holiday cottage business. I'm looking for something 'clean but classy' that will work on a white background. I've trawled some websites and identified some that I think are OK... which of the following do you think work well and why? Or, if you prefer, which ones don't you like and why?

Also, any advice on things to consider when deciding on a new logo welcomed...
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like:

Tullyvar - gives a clear visual message - assuming there are actually deer there

Cottages in seahouses - nice visual appeal and gets the message across

Puffin - very visually appealing - I like this one the best

Neutral

Old Stables - a bit dull, they could have done more to make a visual impact

Kingfisher - quite good - a little bit boring

Cragside - ditto

Hoseasons - you'd think they could afford a better logo with a bit more impact

Burnfoot - where's the visual message?

I don't like:

Quality cottages - rather boring

Clydey - boring and ugly - what's the tree for?

Penquite - ditto

the good life - ditto

(Sometimes it seems as though someone is stuck for an image to represent their business so they'll go "Hey! Let's have a tree!"

Askrigg - too frilly and flowery and too much going on

Lakelovers - a bit messy
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having bought two logos fairly recently (including the one used here as my avatar) I would say to get the best designer you can afford. (Eagle for me!)

I personally wouldn't buy a cheap logo because you'll never be happy with it and it'll be money wasted. Money spent on a good logo can be worth every penny and be very motivating. I know that the new Not Delia logo gave the site a big boost and I think it was money well spent.

But you can't always afford to pay top dollar, especially when you have a lot of sites. In which case I'd go down the DIY route. Have a look at http://www.101genealogy.com

That site got a makeover recently for less than $1 and an afternoon's work. How? A suitable photo from a stock photo site (86 cents) and a free font. See MyGoat.com if you want a list of free or very cheap resources to fix up a site yourself.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kay... FWIW here's my assessment of them:

Tullyvar - stylish; gives a sense of quality

Old Stables - perhaps a bit boring

Kingfisher Barn - I like how the colours of the kingfisher have been incorporated but obviously it's specific to the business name

Quality Cottages - possibly a bit dated now; it says 'quality' but doesn't give me a sense of being truly stylish like the Tullyvar one does

Cottages in Seahouses - does its job well, getting across the coastal location

Puffin Holidays - I can't make up my mind on this one; obviously an image that's specific to them

Clydey - not sure... trying to be too modern?

Penquite - simple and quite effective IMHO

the good life cottage company - not too sure about the logo or the choice of colour

Askrigg Cottage Holidays - I quite like it but perhaps a bit too airy-fairy with the blending of the two scripts

Cragside - possibly my favourite; clean, clear message

Hoseasons - simple and memorable; I guess when you have a recognised brand/logo, there's an argument for not changing it.

Lakelovers - I like how it's got the hills and the lakes across but I think it looks a bit dated now

Burnfoot - looks OK but what is it? A flower?

I should perhaps have stated that I'm looking at this with respect to a company called 'Kendal Cottages'. Kendal is on the edge of the Lake District so hills abound (which is why ones like Cragside and Lakelovers are of particular interest) and maybe that's the image I should be looking to latch on to. Other things Kendal is famous for are mintcake, snuff (not much to work with with both of those) and its castle. The castle is in a ruined state and so I'm not sure it would send the right message if you tried to depict it within the logo of an accommodation provider! So I'm thinking a logo - if indeed it has a graphical element at all - that conveys countryside, hills, lakes or a river (Kendal also has a river running through it), might be the best bet.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the url now but I remember posting up a while ago a site that crowdsourced the process. Basically you gave out your requirements to the design community and lots of attempts were posted back. You pick your fav and pay.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a good quality logo designer is likely to go for that sort of deal. If s/he's got a queue of clients wanting logo designs at their usual fee, whatever that is, then why would they expend their energy and time on such a project?

And what if your fav is less than ideal? You still have to pay?

Designing a logo isn't just about a pretty picture. It's quite a bit more involved than that. It's got to be a visual representation of the business and what the client wants to say about the business.

I would prefer to enter a contract and work 1-to-1 with the designer to get what I want. I wouldn't want people who don't know anything about the business trying to make logos for me. And then what's to stop any competitors pinching the ideas?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowdsourcing is the future man Cool
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing one of these sites a long time back and I was amazed at the quality of the work and how little people were working for.

It does seem a strange approach but it's kind of hard to knock it if the output is as good as I was seeing. I'll have to do some searches to see if I can find what sites are out there now.

I don't know what happens if you don't like any of the work you see. I guess you just don't buy/pay.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... that didn't take long... here are some that I found:

http://www.logomyway.com/
http://www.designcontest.net/
http://99designs.com/
http://www.crowdspring.com/

The quality of the work continues to amaze me...
Boss4
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Craigside Cottage logo.

It look like what I would expect
to see on cottage / cabin rental
site.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this thread. I decided to go down the crowdsourcing route and put the logo out to crowdspring.com. I can't say I've got quite what I'm after yet, but it's getting there slowly. The 'contest' runs until 2nd January. Anyway, if you're interested (or if you'd like a go at it!), here's what the designers have come up with so far:

http://www.crowdspring.com/project/2281212_logo-for-new-luxury-self-catering-vacation-rental-business-in-the-uk/?filter=all&sort=buyer_feedback

What do you think?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some of the better logos that people have come up with so far. I've numbered them to make any discussion easier. Any comments about any of these?

Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. My first thought is that there's not a cottage in sight - other than the hint of one in #7. Also, some of them are remarkably similar to the ones you suggested as examples. (No copyright issues?) They just seem to lack originality somehow.

If I had to pick one I think I'd probably go for #7. It's fresh and clean looking. I'm not sure about the text all being in lower case, though. It doesn't suggest strength and reliability of the brand.

Dave just had a look and the first thing he said was, "I don't like #7. It looks like some kind of weird factory." Then he said that he thought that #5 also looked "industrial"
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Kay... I missed your comments over the Christmas chaos but thought I'd post back with an update.

Here's what we plumped for in the end.

I guess it addresses the industrial concern that Dave had about #5. I'm reasonably happy with it as I think it conveys the message of Kendal pretty well (Kendal is known for its bridges) but at the same time hopefully gives the correct impression that this is a rural town.

Crowdsourcing was an interesting experience. A little frustrating at times but I'm fairly satisfied with the eventual final outcome.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously design is a very subjective thing, and the designer has to deliver what the client wants. Some designers are very clever at pulling the info out of you about what you want and you negotiate till you're happy. Deal done and everyone's happy.

I'm sorry to say that I don't like your new logo a lot. There's too much going on, it's too busy, and it all looks kinda cramped in. Just my opinion.

As a client, I made some stupid suggestions to my designer - I wanted an all singing, all dancing logo - and he was producing designs which were much simpler. He was right!

I think I'm quite "arty" and wanted to be hands on. But I learned that you can do it yourself - but don't hire a dog and then bark yourself. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Graphic Design Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum