AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ted Turner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Ted Turner Reply with quote

A billionaire media baron has taken a step to demonstrate his belief that women should run the world because men have "mucked it up" with too much warfare and military spending. The United Nations Foundation Ted Turner established six years ago to distribute the 1 billion he pledged to UN causes has a new female-dominated board of directors.

"I've said for years and I'm really serious about it, I think men should be barred from holding public office for 100 years. The men have been running the world for too long and they've made a mess of it."

Mr Turner said if women were in control "It would be a much more peaceful, prosperous, equitable world in a very short period of time. You'd have a huge shift away from military budgets and into education and health care," said the CNN founder. "And we're trying to set the example."

There are now six women and five men on the board. Last year, the foundation had five men and five women on its board. The board's newest member is Gro Harlem Brundtland, who completed her term as director-general of the World Health Organisation in July. Brundtland, Norway's first female prime minister, joined earlier this month.

"We cannot find another major organisation in the world that has a majority of its board of directors as women," Mr Turner said.

The foundation is also trying to set an example by arranging partnerships between the United Nations and outside organisations to tackle programmes from eradicating poverty to helping fight AIDS, Mr Turner said.

Aaron
nickc
Executive PA
Executive PA

47 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted Turner Reply with quote

I've got just two words to say to that - Margaret Thatcher.

Nick
TWI
Vice President
Vice President

438 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted Turner Reply with quote

aaron wrote:
A billionaire media baron has taken a step to demonstrate his belief that women should run the world because men have "mucked it up" with too much warfare and military spending.

Laughing How credible is Mr. Turner's judgement in this area? After all, he married Saigon Jane...!
http://25thaviation.org/history/id553.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum