AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British vs American spelling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: British vs American spelling Reply with quote

It's always worth remembering the different spelling when you're buying a domain. Some examples are:

travelling - British
traveling - American

adviser - British
advisor - American

I just bought a domain with the word "adviser" in it. I'd better aim it at the British audience as the Americans will probably think it's a typo.

Oh, go on then, I'll tell you. It's MiserAdviser.com and co.uk - could be great for money saving tips etc. Whaddya think?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually good with spelling but I'd always thought it was just "advisor", whether it be English or American. Embarassed

We did something similar with http://www.ukinformationcentre.com , grabbing the American version 'center' also, and making it redirect to the 'centre' one.

I'm not one for registering deliberately mis-spelled words (eg. acomadation) in a domain, although I know some would do this, but for legitimate differences in spelling I'd say this was generally good practice (or is it 'practise'...? Embarassed )

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna hire a professional and experienced proofreader?

Practice and practise - it's the difference between the noun and the verb.

I don't do this kind of stuff so don't blame me if I make a mistake. I only sometimes have a look at what other people have been doing for my company.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee! Was it really less than a month ago when I bought that domain? I'd completely forgotten about it. Embarassed Maybe I ought to do something with it.

I also bought CanadaMan.com around the same time thinking that it would be quite easy to flip, but I've not had any bites so far. I thought it would be ideal for a blog for someone who lives in or is emigrating to Canada. We fixed it up as a Wordpress blog including a couple of images to get them started.

Please have a look. http://www.canadaman.com

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? I have loads of domains and websites which I'd like to flip but I've had very little success. Can anyone please suggest how I might do better?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think it's that easy.

Take that Canadaman site... $250 isn't a lot for someone to have to pay. But they could instead just go for an alternative available domain for a fraction of the cost. There's also presumably a reason why the likes of canadianman.com and canadaguy.com both haven't sold (currently just parked) also...

I'm not really convinced there's a big market for this kind of thing, and I think it's VERY hit and miss. You could get lucky but more often than not I think you'll find it's a struggle.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right, Paul. Such a lot of bloggers stick to the freebies anyway. If the similar alternative domains are parked, then someone else (presumably another domainer Laughing ) also seems to think there's a market for it.

I thought it would be fairly easy to advertise it on a Canada forum and it would be snapped up. Not so.

I may have to rethink, and monetise the site somehow. The obvious would be to slap AdSense on it. Perhaps there might also be a way to create some user-generated content. I still think it's a really good domain name, so I'm not letting it go without a fight (or 250 bucks).

I was pleased to read that you thought that $250 "isn't a lot" as I was mildly concerned that I'd over-priced it, but I honestly thought it was a good price for the deal offered.
thinkingforward
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when tools tell me that my spelling is wrong! It's not, I'M BRITISH!!!

Smile
toby
PA
PA

26 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi its a really good point which I've never considered when buying a domain, daft really because i guess it could make a massive difference. Thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind next time
toby
PA
PA

26 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point here and one that I hadn't considered before
very relevant if you think your blog/site will get volume traffic from the US
thanks for that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum