AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Rich on the Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussiewell
Temp

6 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Getting Rich on the Internet Reply with quote

Hi
Iíve recently come over from Australia with the intention of staying here a couple of years. My problem is getting a job or earning any money.

At the moment Iíve got a temporary job as a barman but thatís not where I want to be. Pubs in England are closing down fast and I think that after Christmas the place I'm working in may have to either close down or cut down on staff.

Back in Australia, I was working as a marketing manager for a shoe company on quite a good salary and I did expect to find work in a similar field when I came over here but the recession has changed all that.

I had heard it was possible to make some money from a Google work at home scheme but when I did a search on a Google forum, I found out it was just another scam. It seems that so many of the ways to make money on the Internet are in the same league.

But I'm worried if I can't get a job after Christmas if everything goes dolally, I'm going to be in real trouble and I do have some internet skills.

Being an optimistic guy, and not being entirely familiar with what goes on in England, can someone tell me if there is a legit way to make any money on the Internet? Iím not talking about selling my old jeans on Ebay as Iím quite fond of them!

I don't really want to hear from a bunch of whingers or get a lecture from business 'gurus' on how many years it takes to set up a small business on the internet and make money from it and I certainly don't want a load of MLMers bombarding me with ' business opportunities'!

All I want to hear from, if they exist, are people who have used ideas and successfully made some money or even just a decent living from them. Surely the Internet has been around long enough to have developed entrepreneurial ideas which are not for the get rich quick brigade and which can be passed around without a terrible fear that everyone's going to get on the bandwagon and spoil it for you!

I know there are plenty out there like me, so if I do get any success, I will post it up on this forum.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Rich on the Internet Reply with quote

aussiewell wrote:
Being an optimistic guy, and not being entirely familiar with what goes on in England, can someone tell me if there is a legit way to make any money on the Internet? Iím not talking about selling my old jeans on Ebay as Iím quite fond of them!

I don't really want to hear from a bunch of whingers or get a lecture from business 'gurus' on how many years it takes to set up a small business on the internet and make money from it and I certainly don't want a load of MLMers bombarding me with ' business opportunities'!

All I want to hear from, if they exist, are people who have used ideas and successfully made some money or even just a decent living from them.

You can set up a small business on the internet and make money relatively quickly. However, most people will find it takes time before they start to make a decent living. With these kinds of queries, I usually give the following advice:

1. avoid anything that sounds too good to be true, MLM, etc. etc.
2. find a subject area that interests you (it'll make you more likely to persevere)
3. build a site/blog/forum or whatever around that subject area, and look to build a following be it through SEO, Twiter, Facebook, posting on forums or whatever
4. look to make money through direct advertising, Google AdSense and affiliate marketing
5. perservere / keep building

The reality, though, is that it's usually not possible to make good levels of short-term cash using this method (IMHO). It can be very rewarding in the longer term but it usually takes time to build something and get the word out to a successful extent.

Keep us posted with what you do and how you get on... good luck!
aussiewell
Temp

6 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Thank you for yours.

It's the same as all the many other bits of information circulating the internet. Maybe it's shorthand for 'there is nothing worthwhile on the internet'. I'm beginning to think that the internet only works for well established major businesses that have piles of cash to spend on Google, and other advertising schemes, whilst maintaining a strong customer link by mailing catalogues and other goodies directly to customers.

I'm talking abouit earning just the way you would if you were employed, except you'd be self-employed earning on the internet.

I'm still looking for a solid pitch not a bottle of Fairy liquid without a cork!
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted something that gave more immediate rewards, you could try just writing, graphic design or programming for third parties. A lot of businesses out there (ourselves included) hire freelancers for a variety of online and offline tasks. The upside of this kind of work is that it can mean more immediate short-term cash (assuming you don't have problems with payment) but the downside is that you get paid purely for what you do and you therefore don't get to benefit from the potential longer-term recurring revenue that you might get if you were running your own site(s).
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domaining might be a possibility of making money quite quickly. I'd love to be able to say I've had some success with this, but I'm afraid I've had very little success so far. It's all a bit of a gamble anyway as there's never any guarantee of making a sale or even covering your costs. But if you want to give it a try, here's an outline for anyone who doesn't know how to do it.

Check out the places (Sedo, domaining forums etc) which offer domains for sale and pick them up as cheaply as you can or at the price of the registration fee. Plus it's simply not true that all the good .coms are already gone. With a bit of imagination, you can still pick up some good ones, so also check out your usual domain registration service. (I mostly use NameCheap for .coms.)

Put at least a one page site on it. It's better than parking the domain (very little money to be had from that).

Next flip the site, but don't try doing that on a domaining forum - because they're all domainers on there, and will want to pick it up for a rock bottom price.

It's end users you're seeking. Identify end users (the sort of person or business who might want to buy the domain/website) and try to sell the domain to them.

You never know, you might get lucky.
aussiewell
Temp

6 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: getting rich on the internet Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for your gallant efforts. But you haven't given me a leg up just a whistle in the wind.

There either has to be one worthwhile concrete way to work at something on the internet and earn money doing it - or not. As simple as that.

I think all you guys can live with this.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be realistic, unless you get very lucky there are no magic bullets or legs up.

If there was a way to earn instant riches then people who know the secret would keep it to themselves or else everyone would be doing it and the market for whatever it was would be saturated and no use any more.

You have several choices:

- sell your labour

- invest your time to reap longer term rewards

- try your hand at something in the hope you'll find you have a real talent for it

- get really lucky and come up with a brilliant idea that no one has thought of before

Paul and I have both tried to help you with constructive suggestions which you've rejected because we're not able to spoon feed you an instant way to riches. Anyway, why should we give you a leg up? You're looking for something that's incredibly rare to find. If I ever find such a thing I ain't giving the secret away to someone I've just met on a forum.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how people ask for advice and, when you give it, they seemingly know better... Rolling Eyes

Good luck, aussiewell. Do keep us posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum ē Sport Forum ē Travel Forum