AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tweet for the President
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Tweet for the President Reply with quote

An interesting job opening...

http://mashable.com/2010/02/12/president-obama-wants-you-to-twitter-for-him

Smile
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that. Personally I think it stinks that for so long people were following his Twitter account oblivious to the fact it was someone else doing the tweeting. It's tantamount to fraud.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit naiive of anyone to think anything but, isn't it?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
It's a bit naiive of anyone to think anything but, isn't it?

Doesn't make it right. I mean where does it end? If there's an article in a paper attributed to him would you expect him to have written it? It won't have happened, it will be his PR department, but then what's the point of putting your name to something if it's the views of someone else? It's wrong, especially when you're marketing yourself based upon your views.

ps, this was written by my personal PR man.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides which, few of these 'celebs' bother to engage with people, its simply another channel to push their stuff out on. You only have to see how many people they follow back to see they're not really interested.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's quite usual for people to employ others to "speak" for them. When Dave was in employment, part of his job frequently involved writing speeches for high ranking officials (such as Ambassadors), politicians, and even on occasion members of the British Royal Family.

These people don't have time to write all their own speeches, so why wouldn't they have someone else doing it for them?

I think the celeb thing is a bit different. The messages on Twitter are so short you can either do it or not; it doesn't take much effort. I think it's just an ego trip for some of them - "Hey! Look how famous/popular I am with all these followers." Rolling Eyes

Personally, I very rarely bother with Twitter these days - I get Dave to tweet for me. Twisted Evil
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about authenticity. If Dave was writing as 'Dave on behalf of the Queen' then fair enough, but he's writing as the Queen, when he's clearly not the Queen.

If I emailed you saying I'm Richard Branson you'd tell me to do one. Why is this any different?
Dave McM
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
What's the point of putting your name to something if it's the views of someone else? It's wrong, especially when you're marketing yourself based upon your views.

That isn't really how it works, though, Adi. It's not the views of someone else - it's someone else's words articulating your views.

The job of the speechwriter (which for these purposes includes the people who draft articles for a head of government, a minister or other politician to put his or her name to) is to write something that faithfully represents that politician's views. If the politician isn't happy with any part of it, that part gets edited until it says what the person signing it off wants it to say.

The same applies to letters from Government ministers in reply to MPs taking up matters on behalf of members of the public. Ministers don't have time to master all the details of all the issues, so the civil servants in the government department prepare a draft reply based on existing policy - but if the minister doesn't like it, it gets sent back for a redraft.

OK, arguably there's still an element of passing-off - the politicians involved may not always be as articulate as the words of the speechwriters suggest they are. But no politician's going to be happy to have something put out in his name that he doesn't agree with.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise that tweeting took so long that it required farming off to someone else. It would appear to take much longer to dictate your views to someone else to then tweet them on your behalf than to get off your arse and do it yourself.

I had a friend at uni who would send his assignments back to people in China to do for him. He presumably made sure they aligned to his views before signing them and handing them in too. Oh for such a busy life that you're too busy to actually do anything yourself huh.
Dave McM
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
It would appear to take much longer to dictate your views to someone else to then tweet them on your behalf than to get off your arse and do it yourself.

The tweeting bit is just a small part of a larger function, Adi. Whoever gets to write the tweets is part of a machine, all geared up to put across Obama's views in a consistent way. All very artificial, I agree, but it plays well with the more nave voters.

It is ludicrous to have senior politicians supposedly tweeting, though. So why is Boris at it? Twisted Evil
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it goes on, I mean our PR department are no different, but it just doesn't sit right with me.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. To be honest, I don't have any problems with it, really. If Obama was claiming the tweets were being done by him and it materialised that this was not the case, then that would be a different kettle of fish IMHO.

Sure, sending a tweet doesn't take very long. But if you're the President of the United States of America, my guess is that you have one or two other things on your plate.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't having an account in your name suggest they are coming from you though? I mean I'd expect you to be writing the posts attributed to you on here Smile If it transpired Trev was writing them all whilst you sunned it up somewhere I'd feel a bit cheated.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to separate business from personal communications. I think of Paul and you as friends and would be rather disappointed to find out that I'd made friends with someone who doesn't exist or a team of people pretending to be one of you.

On the other hand, if I read a speech by any prominent person, I would pretty much take it for granted that it had been written by someone else.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeches are a bit different though aren't they? I think giving a good speech is a difficult thing to pull off, but it would be odd for someone to achieve a position of prominence without being able to write well, yet the vast majority of articles by people of prominence are written by PR people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum