AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New CMI website
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Website Review Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I LIKE the logo, Adi. I said that already. And I understood the concept of it, although Paul didn't at first.

Quote:
A good deal of money has been spent on the brand...

So, your organisation has spent a lot of money to get a giant Space Hopper clone as its "branding".

It's also not "one individual" (me) saying they don't like the big pink balls/dots/blobs.

Quote:
I mean would you change the Not Delia name if I said it wasn't very good?

No. Not Delia is me. It's a personal blog. It's whatever I want it to be. If you don't like it, then don't look. ND isn't intended to represent a professional organisation. It's just my little place on the Internet, where I can spout my opinions and do what I like. I have no obligations to please any professional body of people.

Quote:
This is a forum for getting website feedback, not branding feedback.

Fair point. In which case, I don't like the look of the website because it's got a lot of stupid big pink balls all over it. Otherwise I like it.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a bit feisty today, aren't you, Adi? Wink

Some more (slightly random) feedback from me (hopefully more helpful than my brief 'looks good' comment before):

- it's a minor thing but on the homepage I think it would look so much tidier if the three boxes across the bottom were all level with each other (ie. allt he same height) - it would just round the page off more neatly, I think.

- "Because it matters to you, it matters to us." Ugh, that's a bit cheesy! Laughing

- the 'about us' page has that same cheesy line in another guise and bits of it don't look very well written. eg. "We are the only body in the UK that awards management and leadership qualifications, we literally set the standards that others must follow." is inappropriately punctuated. I'm being very picky here, but I think something as minor as that could slightly tarnish credibility. Comments such as "When we speak, they listen" also come across as over-pushy and over-confident in my eyes also.

- http://www.managers.org.uk/accessibility - no mention of supporting Chrome?

Overall I think it's a well thought out site. Clean to look at, easy to navigate from the homepage (but not so easy when you get into other area of the site, I feel - think drupal) and, pink blobs or no pink blobs, I'd say pretty well done.

It looks like it's pretty huge, too. How many pages are there, Adi?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
Quote:
This is a forum for getting website feedback, not branding feedback.

Fair point. In which case, I don't like the look of the website because it's got a lot of stupid big pink balls all over it. Otherwise I like it.

Laughing
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it is a big site and there is a lot going on with it at the moment. It's enough to be getting feedback on things I can control without getting feedback on things I cannot.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adi, I can empathise with that.

We're getting close to the end of a major revamp on one of our sites. It's a huge job. (I think we started in October.) Things are progressing well according to plan, and I have complete faith in Kev Jaques, our Project Manager. But sometimes things seem to be beyond my control - invariably because I don't have the knowledge or experience to be able to contribute in a meaningful way. That's hard for me because I own the place, and I'm used to being the boss. But sometimes you just have to let the professionals get on with it. Smile

Specifically, what sort of feedback were you wanting for the CMI site? Usability, navigation, colours, general appearance?

Have you had much feedback from the CMI members?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defence of using blobs for branding, it doesn't appear to have done Google any harm...

Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked on NameCheap and BlobsForBranding.com is available. Smile
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
Specifically, what sort of feedback were you wanting for the CMI site? Usability, navigation, colours, general appearance?

Have you had much feedback from the CMI members?

Anything constructive really. I'm happy to take on board suggestions providing they're things we can realistically change. A big part of the site is that we can setup A/B tests etc. to try out various wording and layouts to determine what works and what doesn't.

We'll be sending out a mailing to our members today advertising the site. Thus far it has just been people that would browse the site anyway that have been using it.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought that it was a site for CMI members. Are you saying you want it to have a wider appeal and audience than that?

Quote:
Thus far it has just been people that would browse the site anyway that have been using it.

Who else are you hoping or expecting to use it?

The forum isn't monetised, yes? Why not make it an intranet (or private forum) for paid up CMI members? That way it's a benefit to the members and you won't have to put up with the hassles of policing it.

If it's not for the CMI members, then I'm not sure who it's for. It would be crazy to start a new business/management forum - too much competition, too much like making a new spam magnet.

I've probably missed the point but I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. Smile
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are parts of the site that are members only but a big part of it, in particular the new interactive elements, are open to all to view, and to registered (free) users to contribute.

So we're appealing to managers rather than just CMI members.

Quote:
I've probably missed the point but I don't understand what you're trying to achieve.

Would you join a forum where you had to pay to see what was on it? Confused
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you join a forum where you had to pay to see what was on it?

No, of course not. But, if I liked a forum, I would (have done before) pay to access content there that wasn't available to the general public.

I thought that we were talking about CMI members who have already paid for their membership, and that access to the forum would simply be an additional benefit for them.

When I said that the forum wasn't monetised, I didn't mean that you should start charging for it - simply that it doesn't make money by plastering ads all over the place (like some people do Embarassed ). In which case, since you're not looking for additional revenue from your forum, then why not keep it a bit more exclusive for members and invited people rather than creating all the extra work of keeping down the spammers and scammers?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't foresee there being an excess of spammers and scammers. As a professional body we need to open our doors. All are in a similar boat. We need more members, especially amongst a younger audience so opening things up is crucial to achieving this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Website Review Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum