AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GIMP vs. Photoshop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Graphic Design Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobel84
Secretary
Secretary

18 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: GIMP vs. Photoshop Reply with quote

I'm a recent-ish Linux Ubuntu convert (about 5 months) and so I've started getting to grips with the features of GIMP - as someone who'd never used Photoshop I'm quite impressed by the number of features it has, especially considering it's free. However, are there any features Photoshop has which justify its pricetag?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big user of each, being as I'm rubbish with graphics, but have used both. I guess it depends how advanced you want to be. I dare say both have some functionality that I'd never dreamt of.
Eagle
President
President

659 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most people, Gimp is more than enough. I'm a professional user of Photoshop and would still be using Photoshop 7 - if it worked on Vista...
AdvertisingGuerrilla
Executive
Executive

156 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GIMP vs. Photoshop Reply with quote

isobel84 wrote:
. However, are there any features Photoshop has which justify its pricetag?

Simply no.

The gimp is an amazing piece of software that will do pretty much everything Photoshop will, but it may take a tiny bit longer (esp if you are used to Photoshop) If you plan on using an image editing software for 3 hrs + a day then buy a pro software. Otherwise you can get amazing results with the Gimp.

Google Gimp image editing to see what some mad people can create.

BTW IMO The Gimp is far more logical and more simple to use.
bizzybee1
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop wins hands down, yes it costs lots of money, but if you want to earn money as a professional, it is the standard software that graphic designers etc use. It is great that Gimp exists and it is a great piece of software. If you only want to crop, maybe change the highlight or contrast, you don't need any more than that. If you want to do more complicated stuff, Photoshop functions way better. Having photoshop coudl improve your business, widen your clientelle and most imporatntly increase your postalgold income.

Last edited by bizzybee1 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
CallCenterMan
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have way more experience with photoshop than I do with GIMP. I've played with it a few times on other people's computers. I'm not a Linux guy at all. But, I feel it's the same as Windows vs. Mac. If you're a serious designer, go with Photoshop. If you're just doing this on the side or whatever, GIMP is more than enough. It's just a bit less user-friendly than Photoshop.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even tried Gimp. I use PhotoShop, but I don't use it for making images or anything like that. I just find it's nice and easy for processing my photos. You can do stuff on PhotoShop in minutes that would take hours in the darkroom - that is assuming that you could do it at all. I love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Graphic Design Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum