AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women entrepreneurs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Women entrepreneurs Reply with quote

You might be interested in this article titled "Women entrepreneurs growing in numbers & importance".

Inter alia, it says that male entrepreneurs are motivated by the potential to earn lots of money, while women start their own companies because they seek greater control over their personal and professional lives.

Does this seem a fair assessment do you think? Or is this just two ways of saying the same thing? Presumably the male looking to "earn lots of money" is doing that with a view to seeking greater control over his personal/professional life... no?

Paul
Cindy
PA
PA

20 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I think that is true, but I still want to see the money down the road.

http://tropi-ties.com
http://entare.com
http://e-merchantassociation.com
twiglet
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Money equals power Reply with quote

Cindy is right - the two are intrinsically linked. Why do you want money? To have more control over your life. How do you get control over your life? Money...

I heard a great expression once - no problem is so big that it won't go away if you throw enough money at it!! I like that Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Janeth
Executive PA
Executive PA

44 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I heard a great expression once - no problem is so big that it won't go away if you throw enough money at it!! I like that

I love that and how true it is. Razz

I think women and men go into business for the same reasons.
suzanne
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's just a matter of women and men perhaps expressing themselves differently, taking control over your own life to me is pretty much the same thing as "I want money" Very Happy
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Suzanne. Wave

If you have a moment, please complete your profile and sign in here.

Great to have you on board! Very Happy

Aaron
suzanne
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aaron, I've already replied to that thread, I just have to fill out my profile next Smile
Moondancer
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it boils down to money as well.. Greater control over their personal and professional lives can translate into: If I'm in charge of my own business people will take me more seriously as a professional business woman and I want to make the money I'm worth(the glass ceiling is still very much a part of corporate life).
Carmen Maranon
Temp

3 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Women entrepreneurs Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Inter alia, it says that male entrepreneurs are motivated by the potential to earn lots of money, while women start their own companies because they seek greater control over their personal and professional lives.

Does this seem a fair assessment do you think? Or is this just two ways of saying the same thing? Presumably the male looking to "earn lots of money" is doing that with a view to seeking greater control over his personal/professional life... no?

... and 6 months later, I join in the conversation Razz

Hmmm... I see it a little differently. I know many women who were 'born' into money, yet, have absolutely no control of their personal/professional lives.

Owning my own company helped build my self confidence, thus, teaching me to take control of both my personal and professional life. I've proven to myself I can manage every aspect of my personal life on my own without having to depend on anyone. Professionally, I don't have to answer to a supervisor, manager, etc., and because I work for myself, I have complete control of the time and effort I invest into my business.

I've always had money... I had to work hard at taking control of my life Smile

~ Carmen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hlcl
PA
PA

30 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is different for everyone. For me I was a single mom working in the real world for 15 years making my own money and bringing up my son. Then I got re-married and have had the opportunity to stay home and start a new family. But what I found was that I did not want to depend on my husband for money, I did not like asking him for money when I needed it, I wanted to be able to make my own money. So yes I wanted greater control of my life.

-Cindy
and Auto Loans
ultipet
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new... and I guess better late than never! Smile

I didn't have squat growing up and I learned very early on to depend on my myself. As I got older, I became more and more motivated to be independant and successful in my career. I guess, in a way, to prove everyone wrong about what I could actually accomplish, having come from not so great beginnings.

So flash forward I'm an coporate accountant for huge IT corp. and I hate it! lol. It is so boring and my creativity and joy for life is so stiffled here it is killing me. It's just not what I want to do. I was really looking for something better. Actually, more meaningful and philanthropic. I was faced with a tough dilemma because actually, I am the bread winner in my house so I can't just up and quit my job. So I decided to try to start a business and make it work no matter what. What I want from that is the freedom to work from home and have time to do charitable things as well. Money I'm afraid is the only thing that will allow that to happen. Wink
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, ultipet... good to have you here! Wave

You might like to make a post in our new members thread. You'll find that on the General Chat Forum.

Hope you enjoy your time on Aardvark... Very Happy

Aaron
hlcl
PA
PA

30 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christine,

I like your Ultipet site, it's nice to have you aboard. How is your new site doing?

-Cindy Laughing
and Auto Loans
ultipet
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cindy!
Thank you so much!!! I am glad to be here! Very Happy

I am still a little "unsure" about how it looks since I did it myself, lol. It's coming along, slowly but surely. We are attempting to launch on August 1st. I'm a bit nervous about that actually! Does everyone get pre-opening jitters or is it just me?
hlcl
PA
PA

30 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christine.

Everyone gets the pre-opening jitters I think. I have some tips for you on Optimizing your site if you want to send me a private message. I'll be happy to talk to you about them.
-Cindy Very Happy
and Auto Loans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum