AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to put my domain online?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frederico Rogeiro
Secretary
Secretary

3 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Is it possible to put my domain online? Reply with quote

I have a domain. He was hosted and put online.
Now, I have a new host and I want to change the domain there (just the name, no files).
I have the login data of the domain and the new host, but not from the old host.

Is it possible to put my domain online in the new host?

Thanks!
Dave McM
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is (or should be) a pretty straightforward process:

1. Find out from your new hosting company what their nameservers are - they will probably look something like ns1.[hosting company domain] and ns2.[hosting company domain]. (There will be at least two nameservers.)

2. Ask the company your domain name is registered at (the domain registrar) to point your domain name at the new company's nameservers instead of the old company's nameservers - or, if you have a control panel for your domain name, you should be able to change the setting yourself.

As I say, it should be a relatively straightforward process. However, if your old hosting company is also the domain registrar, you might possibly find that they'll charge you for making the change. (We got stung by Easyspace for some domain transfer-related process back in the early 2000s.)

Good luck with it, anyhow. Smile
Frederico Rogeiro
Secretary
Secretary

3 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dave.

At the time I posted this question here, the situation was this:
- the domain was in Godaddy, but in my old partner account;
- I thought it was hosted there too;
- I didn't know all about how this things work (I came to think they're very interesting).

Now I understand a little better and the problem is solved. My old partner had activated an authorization for me to transfer the domain to my account, but didn´t told me that, so I only managed to to it almost by chance.
Then I just had to change the nameservers, since I already had new ones.

Of course, I thank you very much for answering!
Eagle
President
President

659 ants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your new host should assist you with the move. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum