AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are managers deluded about their abilities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Are managers deluded about their abilities? Reply with quote

Our CompareTheManager.com quiz has been running for a few months now and thousands of managers have taken part to help them identify their key management strength, with achieving results being the most common 'strength'.

What is interesting however is when these results of actual strengths are compared with the perceived strengths of managers.

In a survey conducted earlier this year we asked managers what their managerial strengths were. In that survey managing people came out top, with nearly 50% of all respondents naming that as their main strength.

However in CompareTheManager, the strength of managing people came out top for just 13% of managers. That's a huge difference in what managers perceive they are good at, and what they actually are.

What do you think has caused such a perception gap?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fun! Apparently my management style is like that of Sir Alex Ferguson. Very Happy

Well, yeah, the gap in perception isn't at all surprising to me. The very worst managers are those who are oblivious to what's going on around them and to what other people think. They're too busy being self-important and smug about how great they are without bothering about stuff like that. Believe me, I've met a few of those in my time. Evil or Very Mad
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a Philip Green myself. He's a billionaire so that'll do me.

Apparently others like him are Richard Branson (I'm OK with that one) and Deborah Meaden (ugh!).
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fall into the most popular category Paul. The question is, are your talents actual or perceived? Razz
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's for me to know, and you to try and find out... Wink
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possible answers are: always, sometimes, or never. I would have liked a usually or mostly option.

There were several questions which I couldn't hand on heart answer with "always" so I had to go for the much weaker "sometimes". I didn't think it reflected what I actually do most of the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum