AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Travel Fund
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Accountancy & Finance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Time Travel Fund Reply with quote

Can you believe that someone can actually be serious about this...?! Shocked

Aaron
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, couldn't the people behind this company be prosecuted for aiding & abbeting in the act of kidnap?

Since there doesn't appear to be any proof that the person who's name is on the certificate is the person who filled out the form, it may transpire that the person who was "beamed up" didn't actually concent to this action.

This means they were effectively kidnapped and the people behind this provided the details for the kidnappers to carry out the crime...

Also, with their calculations, have they taken into account the number of Conservative / Republican governments there will have been on average? We all know what happens to inflation everytime one of those lot gets in therefore the interest earned may be virtually swallowed up by the inflation problems experienced around 2396. Smile

Trev
-=Hero Doug=-
Executive PA
Executive PA

68 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, when I first say the title I thought it had to do with saving money for going on a vacation.

I can't believe that site hasn't been shut down yet. It "appears" to be a huge scam, but it's so tempting to try it out just because I believe anything is possible.

But since the site is horribly unprofessional i won't be giving my money to them any time soon.
TheHeroinesHandbag
Vice President
Vice President

398 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! A genius way to make money without having to do any work, buy any stock, provide support or guarantees or even leave the house. Brilliant, I only wish I had thought of it. Laughing

Sincerely though I hope anyone who joined only did so because it was a great scheme not because they really believed they could travel to the future.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever heard one serious theory about how you could time travel and that didn't actually involve physically going into the future, but more contacting it. I think the idea was to setup a machine at this end and then the people in the future would be able to send a message back and you'd receive it via this machine....can't remember the exact logistics however.

After much careful consideration, myself and my associates (the occupants of the haunted bomb shelter), have come to the conclusion that there might be a few problems with this time travel idea. We would therefore request 5 minutes of your time to outline our concerns and findings relating to this problem.

To make things a little clearer, we've split the problems into a number of areas some of which may be of more interest to some than others.

Physics

Added to this Chaos Theory - assuming Trev's theory (you'll see it in a sec) is flawed and the current you disappears there could be a small unexpected glitch.

As I understand it, when applied to time travel Chaos Theory states that if you change a tiny thing in the past then the seemingly tiny repocusions which occur throughout history will result in a very changed future.

Eg: If you'd been around your pub crawling & darts playing friend might have met a nice girl at your house purely by accident, they get married and 500 years later the continued family produce a brilliant scientist who invents a way to bring people forward through time. However since you've vanished this match will never take place and the brilliant scientist will never be born.

Thus at the exact point when you leave "now time", the future is re-written and the experiment will never happen, therefore you vanish into eternal time limbo which could be even worse than a Monday morning hangover! Shocked

Financial
For those of you who want this on a purely financial point of view there is another problem. The economies of countries work on the basis that theres X amount of money in circulation which sets the value of each note at a specific value, eg: loaf of bread in the UK might be 39p.

However if someone was to suddenly increase the money in a particular country by say $3 trillon that would instantly deflate the value of the currency and cause hyper-inflation. So by the time they use this money to build a time machine, it'll be worth only a fraction of what it was previously and probably not enough to actually build the machine...

Just plain wacky

According to "Trev's Unpublished Theory of Parallel Timelines", travelling into the future is impossible since it wouldn't be the current you that would in fact travel, but the you in the appropriate timeline which you connected to who could be a very different you and probably a you that you wouldn't recognise anyway.

(Bold is the current you and the italics is the other you - in case anyone was confused). Smile

I think I've just solved reincarnation as well! Wink

Conclusion

Whichever way you look at it, time travel is impossible whether it be physical, historical or financial we're just plain stuck here...

Thus endest the lecture by Prof. Trev - head of research at Trev's Wacky Ideas Inc.
-=Hero Doug=-
Executive PA
Executive PA

68 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev wrote:
If you'd been around your pub crawling & darts playing friend might have met a nice girl at your house purely by accident, they get married and 500 years later the continued family produce a brilliant scientist who invents a way to bring people forward through time. However since you've vanished this match will never take place and the brilliant scientist will never be born.

But who is to say were changing the future. We're only modifying the present, not the past.

If I get hit by a car I die, time goes on, if I get taken to the future and live a long and happy life, time still goes on. Who are we to say that these events weren't meant to take place?

I think the only way things would be drastically different is if we went to the very distant past and changed major events, like WW2.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I get hit by a car I die, time goes on, if I get taken to the future and live a long and happy life, time still goes on. Who are we to say that these events weren't meant to take place?

Now this is where my brain goes into meltdown because you start to grapple with the idea of is everything predicted already and thus we have no control over what happens to us or is everything being written therefore the future doesn't exist yet...

Actually (and I'm thinking with my brain turned to "cooking on gas" mode), if the scientist had pressed the start button on the machine and beamed you out just in time to miss the car, this would cause history to be instantly rewritten as you would suddenly vanish from "here".

If this rewriting caused an kind of major impact on the future, then this would be instantly reflected in future events and the scientist wouldn't be in a position to press the button to start the historical rewriting in the first place.

Thus we could conclude that time protects itself against being rewritten if anything more than a very tiny impact were to occur and therefore time travel is indeed totally safe.

That would mean that you disappearing into the future if it happened would be destined to happen as the timelines have been written as such just as you stated above... Idea

Hmmm....does this mean the future can exist already, but at the same time is still dynamic?

Trev
-=Hero Doug=-
Executive PA
Executive PA

68 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
does this mean the future can exist already
The future doesn't exist, only the present exists, it's just in a different frame of reference.

To cavemen we're in the future, but to intergaltic space travilers we're in the past. Once you enter their time period, you're now in the present, just not the one you came from. Wink
TheHeroinesHandbag
Vice President
Vice President

398 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but if you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow...well that's a whole different kettle of denevian slime devils 'innit?
Shandy
Secretary
Secretary

6 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trev...Financial
For those of you who want this on a purely financial point of view there is another problem. The economies of countries work on the basis that theres X amount of money in circulation which sets the value of each note at a specific value, eg: loaf of bread in the UK might be 39p.

However if someone was to suddenly increase the money in a particular country by say $3 trillon that would instantly deflate the value of the currency and cause hyper-inflation. So by the time they use this money to build a time machine, it'll be worth only a fraction of what it was previously and probably not enough to actually build the machine...

Trev, I think you have to look at this whole issue from a different angle. The issue is not somebody from the future coming back with money. Let's just say somebody comes back from the future and knows the lottery numbers from the coming draw. Buys a ticket and bingo...
There we have it again, the future has been altered again.

I strongly believe that there is the possibility of time travelling Silly
in fact I think that we live in parallel universes. And everytime someone comes back and alters history a new universe is created. Much like loosing a word doc on your computer, windows then automaticly creates a recovered copy..
Forget about WWII, boring... let's just assume that the Celts beat the Romans on their second encounter (I believe that the Celts were the only ones that wacked the Romans on their first encounter only becasue they had no idea who the Romans where and thus weren't intimidated) well the second time the Romans came they annihalated them big time. So, what I am saying is, that the universe we live in, is the one where the Romans beat the Celts and the rest is history...
In this parallel universe that got created for some reason (perhaps because one of my Celtic ancestors came back and gave this great diarrhoa potion to the Romans) the Celts actually won and conquered Europe and north Africa....

Could anyone help out please how this story continues and I cannot finish my line of though. I am a bit dizzy now and I think I need to lie down a bit Crazy Eyes
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheHeroinesHandbag wrote:
Yes but if you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow...well that's a whole different kettle of denevian slime devils 'innit?

Got me thinking - if you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, do you need to slow the neutrons down first? I'd imagine if you just flick the switch you're going to end up with the neutrons in the middle of the flow being affected less and therefore you'll get a neutron sandwich as they collide with the outer neutrons which have stopped and turned around...

Actually, if you slam 2 neutrons together, do you get anything more than a big neutron such as heat produced? Just thinking, we could have cold fusion here!

Of course if you slam to denevian slime devils together....is that the catalist required to allow the good doctor to change from one doctor to the next? (Assuming my memory isn't faulty and they don't appear in Star Trek or something).

Oh and while we're worrying about denevian slime devils and neutron flows, was I the only one who didn't want the controller of the Borg to die in that sea of near 0' Kelvin gas? Smile

Trev
Shandy
Secretary
Secretary

6 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this got anything to do with Chinese silk worms???
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's just say somebody comes back from the future and knows the lottery numbers from the coming draw. Buys a ticket and bingo...
There we have it again, the future has been altered again.

Although if the timeline is self-healing as I'm suspecting and is dynamically created, then by buying the ticket they probably won't bother building the time machine in the future and everything will instantly revert back to normal as they can't have come back without the machine....sort of thing. Smile

Quote:
I strongly believe that there is the possibility of time travelling Silly

It partly depends how you define time travel. It's already been proven that the faster you go, the slower time at your destination will appear to go so in theory if you hit the speed of light then you can actually go backwards.

It's just a bit tricky getting to the speed of light and surviving as you need to loose all your mass and thats generally even more dangerous than the Atkins diet.

Quote:
in fact I think that we live in parallel universes. And everytime someone comes back and alters history a new universe is created. Much like loosing a word doc on your computer, windows then automaticly creates a recovered copy..

Shandy, thats probably the best explanation of why parallel universes exist that I've heard yet! Smile

If parallel universes contain every cause & effect pair that could ever exist then I'd guess a recovered copy could well be the answer to getting around the self-healing timelines.

So if that were the case and someone alters history, does that alter our history or create a new parallel universe in which alternate versions of ourselves (assuming we were ever born) exist? Also if you do come back and alter history, would you experience the new history that you've created by switching universes?

Quote:
Could anyone help out please how this story continues and I cannot finish my line of though. I am a bit dizzy now and I think I need to lie down a bit Crazy Eyes

Probably the only person who can official finish the story is yourself as you're creating it as you go along, plus all the other parallel universes which spring up from the alterations you've made to this one...

Trev - suddenly found something interesting on a Friday afternoon
TheHeroinesHandbag
Vice President
Vice President

398 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Of course if you slam to denevian slime devils together....is that the catalist required to allow the good doctor to change from one doctor to the next? (Assuming my memory isn't faulty and they don't appear in Star Trek or something).
Trev[/quote]

Sorry mixed my sci-fi metaphors.

Neutron Flow reversal, Dr Who
Denevian Slime Devils, original Star Trek
-=Hero Doug=-
Executive PA
Executive PA

68 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't reverse the nutron flow man, you need to keep it launched ahead at full speed.

P.S. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Accountancy & Finance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum