AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To go Self employed or Employed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Self-Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natnewb
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: To go Self employed or Employed? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have been offered a job as Senior Project Manager working three days a week where I will be manageing a Team. I asked that I undertake the role as a Freelancer ( could be as a sole trader or limited company) but the Chairman has replied saying that the difficulty is that if my work involves acting as an employee, that is how the Inland Revenue expects you to be seen. That is determined by whether you show up at the office as other employees would, that you attend meetings as directed, etc. She says she would have to hire me on PAYE based on the fact that a true sub-contactor is commissioned on a project or task basis and undertakes the work within their own schedule; they may come into the office, but again on their own time and scheduling. Apparently this is not how she's sees my role.

This is a one year contract. Also, I plan to set up my own garden design business the rest of the week hence the preference to have my own company. I really would like advice as to the best way to approach this. The Employer is clearly going by the book here and I'm wondering if I can convince her otherwise.

Thank you
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's right on the way the Inland Revenue might see it. If you're seen to be doing the majority of the week for this company and working set hours etc. then they'll see you as an employee regardless of what this company protests.

I don't see any reason why you can't be an employee of this company and do your garden design as a separate self-employed job on the side - assuming they don't object which they probably won't as long as it's not competing.

Not sure how that affects things with regards the self-assessment tax stuff at the end of the year, but since you've already paid tax on your earnings from them that shouldn't cause any major issues. Might need a tax advisor or accountant just to sort the paperwork to ensure the Inland Revenue don't try to screw you.

Only thing is, are you sure the two things are compatible with regards time? Eg: if this job requires a few extra hours or the garden design overruns, are they separateable from each other enough?

Trev
Natnewb
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev

That's very useful. I thought maybe if worked different days of the week each week it would be viewed by the IR as freelance work but i don't think that's compatible with my role.

As regards, possible conflict bewteen the two interests, I would just limit my workload with regard to the garden design ..maybe do one design a month. I can live quite easily on the salary I'm being paid in the job so this gives me a chance to test the water wrt to potential Clients.

Many thanks.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome to Aardvark. If you get chance, please drop by in the Introductions Forum up at the top.

Re: employment. I think this is right. If your work is done primarily on site and you are almost exclusively working for one company, then I think IR will regard you as an employee.

Can you not just be a part-time employee and set up your other business on a self-employed basis concurrently? I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to do that...
Marcus
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,,,
Reading the whole story i advice you to better go for this job "I have been offered a job as Senior Project Manager working three days a week where I will be manageing a Team".It shall he helpful to make progress as well it suits your compatibilities.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus wrote:
hi guys,,,
Reading the whole story i advice you to better go for this job "I have been offered a job as Senior Project Manager working three days a week where I will be manageing a Team".It shall he helpful to make progress as well it suits your compatibilities.

Rolling Eyes
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Trev and Paul on this. If you want and need the job at all, just do it as an employee. Three days a week, that's part-time work. Work on your passion (garden design business) the rest of the week. I assume that the job and your own project are related hence your desire to arrange for the company to be your client instead of employer. You can, as an alternative, propose to do the contract for six months and renew work under a different freelancer contract after six months once you have your own company properly set up.
ToAfrica.net
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good job can make me feel happiness i think.
http://www.toafrica.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Self-Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum