AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bizarre email from Play.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Bizarre email from Play.com Reply with quote

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Email Security Message

We are emailing all our customers to let you know that a company that handles part of our marketing communications has had a security breach. Unfortunately this has meant that some customer names and email addresses may have been compromised.

We take privacy and security very seriously and ensure all sensitive customer data is protected. Please be assured this issue has occurred outside of Play.com and no other personal customer information has been involved.

Please be assured we have taken every step to ensure this doesn’t happen again and accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused some of you.

Customer Advice

Please do be vigilant with your email and personal information when using the internet. At Play.com we will never ask you for information such as passwords, bank account details or credit card numbers. If you receive anything suspicious in your email, please do not click on any links and forward the email on to privacy@play.com for us to investigate.

Thank you for continuing to shop at Play.com and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Play.com Customer Service Team

Confidentiality: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error
please notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your
computer without further action. Any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message or any files transmitted with it by an
unauthorised recipient is strictly prohibited.
Viruses: This message has been swept for viruses but we cannot guarantee
that this e-mail or its attachments are virus free nor accept
responsibility for any virus inadvertently transmitted herewith.

Am I reading that correctly?! First they write:

Quote:
We are emailing all our customers to let you know that a company that handles part of our marketing communications has had a security breach. Unfortunately this has meant that some customer names and email addresses may have been compromised.

...and then they have the NERVE to go on and say:

Quote:
Please do be vigilant with your email and personal information when using the internet.

Unbelievable. Rolling Eyes
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk. Rolling Eyes

I'm having a bit of a fight with Nisbets, who was my favourite merchant for catering equipment. Actually that's not entirely true - I'm not having a fight with them, they're just ignoring me.

First they sent email spam to a customer I sent them, and then they spammed on my Spain forum with an advert for their services.

I have tried to resolve this with them for over a month now but the latest response I got (several days ago) was an auto "out of office" reply saying they'd be back on 28th March.

It beggars belief how some otherwise very good companies can be so totally incompetent at using email. Evil or Very Mad
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got a not too dissimilar email from M&S. Here's what they had to say:

Quote:
We have been informed by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails to our customers, that some M&S customer email addresses have been accessed without authorisation.

We would like to reassure you that the only information that may have been accessed is your name and email address. No other personal information, such as your account details, has been accessed or is at risk.

We wanted to bring this to your attention as it is possible that you may receive spam email messages as a result. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

Marks and Spencer plc. Registered office: Waterside House, 35 North Wharf Road, London W2 1NW. Registered number: 214436 (England and Wales)

Obviously not as seriously at they should, otherwise it wouldn't have happened in the first place surely... Rolling Eyes
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're not phishing are they?
i noticed in the Play email they called you "Customer" and didn't use your name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum