AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with content theft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Dealing with content theft Reply with quote

I know it's something we all have to deal with but how best to tackle it? And when exactly is it a breach of copyright? Say someone copies your article but changes a few words, does that mean they've rewritten it?

Here's an example:

The original article is here:

http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/2010/06/07/interview-with-james-grierson-co-owner-of-albion-restaurant-kuala-lumpur/

And the copy - in totally mangled English - is here:

http://luxurious-travel-vacation.blogspot.com/2010/06/interview-with-james-grierson-co-owner.html

What, if anything can be done about this?

PS: The 'English' in the copy is so bad it might almost be amusing, if it weren't so annoying to have my work stolen and mangled like this.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear... oh dear. There's a site that's going nowhere fast. To be honest, I've stopped worrying about sites like this for the most part. Can't see it having too much of a bearing upon ALTB although obviously I'd sooner they didn't do it.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate having my work copied or used without my permission. I can even sometimetimes turn a blind eye if I at least get a link or a credit for it. But in that particular case, I'd not want to have anything to do with it. Imagine if it had my name on it and someone thought that I had written something so absolutely cr@p! Shocked

Google is always talking about improving their algo. I wish they would, and get rid of rubbish like that.

I could have found plenty of examples. I chose that one because it's relevant to Aardvark memebers and what we're doing.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think - although I'm not a lawyer - that if your work has been copied and changed it then becomes a derivative work, which is still covered by copyright law. Proving it, and getting something done about it is rather different though.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil.

I've also had a lot of my work copied on Yahoo! and they make me jump through all sorts of hoops to get the stolen content removed. It takes an awful lot of time and effort to do it.

I mostly turn a blind eye if they say where the original article came from and give a link. But I am really narked to see my work being mangled and used like that.

The original article was unique content, written by me. I don't expect to see it elsewhere.

Paul and I did an article about stolen content a while ago. Maybe we should have another go at that.

I hate content thieves and would be quite happy to see them killed off.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice Wordpress has some guidelines on how to tackle the issue here:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/content-theft-what-to-do/

Problem is, it's missing a few steps at the end.

For example: 6) What to do if the formal notice is ignored

Rolling Eyes
kimsanders
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot these kind of issue online. Though some are wise because they revise a small portion, still it happens. I suggest you contact the site and tell them that they copied your contents otherwise you will report them for plagiarism.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then what? That advice is already there. What if they don't act on those communications?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum