AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is cold calling always annoying?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Is cold calling always annoying? Reply with quote

I'm no good at sales, I'll say that up front to avoid any misunderstanding.

However, I have a new site with a focus on travel for disabled people. We offer free listings to hospitality venues (pubs, restaurants, hotels etc) who have facilities available for disabled people. I have to cold call, usually by email. How else can I tell them about this new resource?

Every email is personalised and hand-picked. We're not trying to sell them anything.

Do you really think we're annoying people by cold calling in this way? What else could we do? Can you think of a better way to go about getting people to want a free listing on our new site?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, that isn't cold calling. Cold calling is a telephone sales pitch to my mind (or a door to door pitch). Much more intrusive. I think what you're doing - if it's personalised and carefully selected - is absolutely fine. Sure, some will ignore it, but if you take the time to tailor something relatively unique to them, you'll probably have a far better chance of success.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsolicited email is far less intrusive than unsolicited telephone calls. I know which I prefer anyway.
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has the potential to annoy me but I find that the ones who are more direct and follow my cue to get to the point fare better. I hate mendacity Smile
planetZest
Executive PA
Executive PA

58 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately emails are better than phone calls, though in a sense it could be considered cold calling by some, but i agree with Paul. If its personalised and without sales pitch, i cant see people taking offence, but we are all used to keeping an eye out for the catch these days.

Though a free listing without any cost is a great deal for any business. Once you start to get people on board, soon as word spreads they will be chasing you for a listing. Who would be your pied piper? Very Happy

Are there any trade magazines you could advertise in? a one page glossy add to get their attention. Though it wont be cheap i am sure.

My father in law is disabled and they never know where to look or if he will be able to travel and if any venues have the necessary facilities.
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cracker today. I get a lot from the Philipines in the name of the lines previous owner (some 2.5 years plus ago). iI asked who it was and I was given a load of bunkum about it being a call on behalf of the UK government. He then called me a liar after I said I wasn't actually MR D and could they take me off the database. his reason was I hadn't diabused him of the notion that I was not the said Mr D.

Priceless.
jennytxtlocal
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get annoyed with people cold calling unless two things-

1- I am interested in the thing they are selling
2- They grab my attention with something other than the usual opening words.

Have you ever considered using a short code for people to actually ASK for information? This would generate hot leads for you to follow up.

A short code is usually a 5 digit number that people text into to express interest in a service/enter a comp/text for a voucher.

They are quick and easy to set up and cost as little as 20 per month.

I can't post links to our website so that you can read more, but if you would like to, then you can PM me. Smile
timjoy
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, pls help them! they need make a living
Clicksor_CS
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a sales person, to shame to say that, but I prefer unsolicited emails. I always email to my potential customers instead of making phone calls..even to those who provide me their phone numbers...I believe that phone calls are for family, friends, or serious conversations not for selling services or products...
leadsgene
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: cold-calling Reply with quote

The results of cold-calling heavily rests on how it is performed. If it is done properly, then you can accomplish your goals. If not, it can ruin your brand. That is why expertise and experience in phone marketing are highly needed. The people you called will appreciate your effort if they understand how your solutions can benefit them.

Thanks,

LedgerLeads | Sales Leads and Appointments for Accounting, Tax and Financial Services
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spoke to a telesales company recently who said they were converting 3 times more calls into appointments 5 years ago. They're having to charge a lot more per appointment to stay in business
PainFreeProfits
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: How To Cold Call Successfully Reply with quote

Hi, I'm hoping to share some expertise on cold calling that you should find valuable.

First, nobody likes to do it. Not even me! But I'm *comfortable* doing it. The reason is that I have a system, so I know where the process is going and what is going to happen next. I'm a consultative sales trainer and I give my clients this expertise frequently.

So how do you start? The "annoyed" reaction to cold calling happens right here. The typical salesperson calls up, the prospect answers, and the salesperson starts talking. And keeps talking. Hurling features & benefits and hoping something sticks. As soon as "How are you today?" is out of the salesperson's mouth, the prospect knows "Oh dear, Here Comes a Salesperson" and it's over. You must interrupt this standard reaction. How?

Ask them.

"Am I calling at a bad time?"

Before you even tell them your name or company. Ask them if it's okay to talk. Don't say "Did I catch you at a bad time?" or use the word 'catch' anywhere in this sentence because it can sound offensive ("Yes, you did catch me with my hand in the cookie jar. Go away!")

If it is a bad time, politely hang up immediately. You don't want to get caught up with whatever bad thing is happening to them--you'll be associated with it forever in their mind.

If it's OK to talk, then you need to let them know they're not going to be stuck on the phone with you forever. This is the #1 fear of prospects. They're going to be captive on the phone for ages while the salesperson tries to "close" them over and over again. Who wants to go through that?

The way to move ahead comfortably is to let them know you'll take a brief moment and tell them why you called, and then they can decide whether it's in their interest to keep talking with you or not. Again, you'll stand out this way.

Questions? Feel free to ask me!

Thanks,
Jason
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Cold Call Successfully Reply with quote

PainFreeProfits wrote:
Before you even tell them your name or company. Ask them if it's okay to talk.

If I was on the receiving end, I would want to know who it is that's calling me first before answering that question. If it's a customer with a query, it's OK to call. If it's someone cold calling, it's not.
PainFreeProfits
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Cold Call Successfully Reply with quote

paul wrote:
PainFreeProfits wrote:
Before you even tell them your name or company. Ask them if it's okay to talk.

If I was on the receiving end, I would want to know who it is that's calling me first before answering that question. If it's a customer with a query, it's OK to call. If it's someone cold calling, it's not.

Thanks for your comment!

You seem to be approaching the question from the prospect side. What I'm sharing is a method for salespeople to use. Yes, people will often say, "No, it's not a bad time--who's this?" and I have an effective method of continuing from that point.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the only way to respond to that is for the caller to give their name/company name.

If they won't answer, I hang up...

If they do answer (and it's not a customer/prospective customer), I hang up...

Yes, you're right. I'm seeing it from the recipient's point of view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum