AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google+ ...yay or nay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Google+ ...yay or nay? Reply with quote

So, folks... it's been around for a while now.

What do you make of it so far?

Is it here to stay?

Will it affect Facebook?

Will it affect Twitter?

Any of you tried hangouts?

What do you think of its marketing potential?

Sorry, lots of questions but I'd be interested to hear opinions...
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I'm spending a lot more time there than I was expecting. I use circles a lot - I have almost 1,000 librarians in one, I have a smaller one just for UK librarians, as well as circles for friends and so on. It's easier to create posts and send to specific groups than Fbook or Twitter.

I think it's probably here to stay - it already has a reasonable user base, and it's positioned to become the backbone of the Google offering and the way that they are redoing search, dropping stuff, getting rid of labs etc really implies to me that they'll be shifting a lot of staff time across to G+. Bottom line - if it makes them money, they'll keep it.

It will affect Twitter and Facebook, I don't think there's a doubt. I'm already shifting my work contacts from Facebook to G+. Fbook will take the bigger hit, because Twitter is just so good for so many different things, but because I can write more indepth stuff to my circles I'll have to decide if it's better to do that rather than tweet. It also raises the question of the value of blogging to, but that's not going away any time soon.

Not tried the hangouts yet. Huddles on my elderly iPhone just don't cut it.

Marketing? Dunno, that's not what I do. However, I'm pushing content to G+ and getting good feedback on it, so if you've chosen your circles wisely, I see no reason why not.

Phil.
georgep
Executive
Executive

221 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate it but there are almost no people on there that i want to hang out with.

But on the other side i rarely use Facebook either.

for web promotions it could help a bit as now we can have +1 button to our sites and i actually noticed that people use them.

Stuff With Animals, Thlog
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's your Google profile, George...? I'll add ya... Wink

Alternatively, you'll find me at http://gplus.to/luxurytravel

Paul
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the use of it at all for what I do (yet). If it's maintaining any kind of momentum by the end of 2011 then it might be time to look again, but Google have a strong back catalogue of social ventures that were supposed to revolutionise things, only to flop badly. It's hard enough maintaining a decent presence across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube et al without chasing every single startup with a bit of positive PR (looking at you Foursquare)
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed... I've not bothered with Foursquare for a good few months now. It's really too much effort for little or no reward IMHO. It perhaps works better in cities but in our town it's pretty limiting, I think.
georgep
Executive
Executive

221 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all those social things cost a lot of time with almost no return.

the only return for me is that if people use the like or 1+ buttons to promote posts on my sites Very Happy

The only thing that is more useful and fun for me is twitter but even there it is mostly a waste of time

paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your sentiment, George... but do you think it will always be a waste of time, or will, say, building a strong Twitter following now, really help the likes of you and I in the future.

In short, I suppose what I'm asking is will social media continue to grow and grow, and so any time invested early on prove to be fruitful in the long term?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...all those social things cost a lot of time with almost no return.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I generally give them a miss because a) I can't be bothered and b) I've got plenty of more interesting things to do.

I really dislike all this tweeting and twitting and facebook and gawd knows what else. I know that some people are probably using it effectively for business but I also see a lot of my less internet savvy acquaintances using it because they don't know much about building websites or doing their own thing.
georgep
Executive
Executive

221 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul i can't really bother about the followers on my private account if people want to read what i have to say fine but i use it mainly to keep up with some people i want if i have time to spare.

my websites all tweet on there own so not much work there and the hashtags bring in some visitors not so much the followers.

transcribe
Temp

3 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google+ will stay for sure. Though it doesn't have features like facebook, still it will be effective.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. G+ is here to stay. I was on Twitter and FB long before these became mainstream. Unfortunately, for every Twitter or FB that succeeds, there were dozens of other promising startups that never delivered and ultimately floundered. G+ will take off but I don't think it will have much impact on Twitter or FB. People are using these sites for different purposes. I may shift all my professional and business contacts to G+ but I'll still be on FB following updates from friends and family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum