AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Calling A Pain In The Neck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashleyam
Secretary
Secretary

38 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Cold Calling A Pain In The Neck Reply with quote

Yes I agree cold calling can be rather nerve racking. But if you can do it without reservations just do it. What's is the difference between email spamming and cold calling anyway? Certianly retraint should be exercised in this practice. Let's face it, the timid sales person won't sell as much as the aggressive sales person. You cannot throw a rock and hold back your hand, and expect to be effective. Cool
searchsouth
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that there is any difference between cold calling and email spamming, but is that a good thing?!

Guess it depends on your industry really, but cold calling isn't the most cost-effective approach in mine and I guess that may be the case for many.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Calling A Pain In The Neck Reply with quote

ashleyam wrote:
What's is the difference between email spamming and cold calling anyway?

Well... I don't like either but I personally loathe cold calling far more than email spam.

Cold calling interrupts me with what I'm doing. Email spam doesn't in the same way - it doesn't break my concentration, it just happens to be there when I check my mail and I quickly delete it and be done (better still, it might get filtered).
leadsgene
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: cold-calling can be useful Reply with quote

Cold-calling has been very useful in lead generation and appointment setting. It is not just about plain advertising and promotional activities. If performed properly by the right people who have the right skills, it can result to successful marketing campaigns and eventually more sales.

Thanks,
searchsouth
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt that cold calling can be successful, especially when carried out in the right manner.

But I would really question whether it's the right approach for many businesses. Especially if you have no previous experience in this area.
DylanBaxendale
PA
PA

45 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Calling A Pain In The Neck Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Well... I don't like either but I personally loathe cold calling far more than email spam.

Cold calling interrupts me with what I'm doing. Email spam doesn't in the same way - it doesn't break my concentration, it just happens to be there when I check my mail and I quickly delete it and be done (better still, it might get filtered).

I agree Paul, if it wasn't for having family living overseas and the costs of international calls being more cost effective on a landline, I would get rid of my landline, because 90% of the time when it rings it is cold callers. it is so much easier to delete a spam email than getting rid of a coldcaller who normally won't take no for an answer. Even worse actually, is now they coldcall and annoy you with recorded messages.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Calling A Pain In The Neck Reply with quote

DylanBaxendale wrote:
Even worse actually, is now they coldcall and annoy you with recorded messages.

Yes, I get quite a few of those on one business landline. It's a line that hardly ever rings because virtually all enquiries are handled online, but I need to offer a telephone number to show that it's a real business, I feel. But almost always when that telephone rings, it's a recorded message. I don't know what they're selling because I never wait to find out, but it's usually the same people and usually starts with something like "This is an important announcement. Do not hang up..." (at which point I hang up Wink).
DylanBaxendale
PA
PA

45 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Calling A Pain In The Neck Reply with quote

paul wrote:
I don't know what they're selling because I never wait to find out, but it's usually the same people and usually starts with something like "This is an important announcement. Do not hang up..." (at which point I hang up Wink).

Spot on Paul!

I also agree with you regarding having a land line number. There are still a large number of people out there that feel more comfortable about knowing that they can talk to a human being if need be!
Eagle
President
President

659 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Calling A Pain In The Neck Reply with quote

ashleyam wrote:
What's is the difference between email spamming and cold calling anyway?

Email spam is hardly intrusive and is solved with a quick 'delete'. F*cking me around on the phone and wasting my time gets my back up. Don't call me - I'll call you if I need something.
PainFreeProfits
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Cold Calling is a Necessary Part of Getting New Business Reply with quote

I see some comments here about how awful cold calling is. I'm pretty certain that's because of *how it's being done*. You must do prospecting in order to find new clients, especially at the startup time of your business, or when things get slow, because you cannot rely on referrals.

Now the first thing to consider about cold calling is your mindset. Are you trying to convert every prospect into a customer? If you are, I have to let you know that this is impossible. Only some of the people you talk to will ever become customers.

The purpose of cold calling/prospecting is to quickly move through a list of prospects, and rapidly screen out those who are not a fit. "No"s are fine! It's not rejection--they just don't need what you're offering *right now*.

You have some expertise. In prospecting, you are finding out whether anyone you're calling needs that expertise. It's a value exchange. Most people aren't going to need it, but those who do will make the effort of prospecting well worth your while.

When calling, the first thing to do is to ask whether you are calling at a bad time. Salespeople who get a prospect on the phone and start talking and don't stop are the ones who are annoying our potential clients. We're going to stand out by not doing that, and by asking permission to tell them why we called.

Questions? Feel free to ask me! I'm a consultative sales trainer and can help.

Thanks,

Jason
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Calling is a Necessary Part of Getting New Business Reply with quote

PainFreeProfits wrote:
I see some comments here about how awful cold calling is. I'm pretty certain that's because of *how it's being done*. You must do prospecting in order to find new clients, especially at the startup time of your business, or when things get slow, because you cannot rely on referrals.

This premise seems to make the assumption that business comes from two sources.

1) referrals
2) cold calling

Any 'prospecting' you do doesn't have to come from cold calling. There are plenty of other ways to get business in.
PainFreeProfits
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Calling is a Necessary Part of Getting New Business Reply with quote

paul wrote:
PainFreeProfits wrote:

This premise seems to make the assumption that business comes from two sources.

1) referrals
2) cold calling

Any 'prospecting' you do doesn't have to come from cold calling. There are plenty of other ways to get business in.

Sure, advertising, promotions, joint ventures, online marketing, PPC, what have you. However, cold calling can still be one of the quickest ways to qualify prospects in or out. Regardless of how you feel about it, it is an effective method when done properly.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe... but not when it's tried on me. Wink
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been targetted by Cumantra which claim your windows software is showing error messages.

I Googled them whilst stll on the call and saw tha tthey a scam oufit who were legit.

The next calls I said I had Mac and the hang up by them was instant.
satti
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cold calling is a bit more effective then wasting time over email spam. however, i would suggest to go for a clean way, via opting an appropriate advertising medium
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum