AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Time management Reply with quote

Who here professes to be good at time management?

I'd like to hear tips for getting the most from your days. In the online world, it feels to me as if we're being pulled in all directions these days. There are blogs to keep on top of (whether it be reading those of others, or writing your own), there's social media to keep abreast of, there's the usual backlog of emails to wade through, there's forums, the latest in SEO and more, and then somewhere amongst all this, there's real work to be done.

What are your tips for managing your time effectively across all these different areas?

I've taken on Netvibes as suggested by Philb in another thread, and I do find that very useful indeed, but there's still wayyyyy too much to get through in a day.

Am I being ineffective with my time? Do I need to delegate more? Or something else?
searchsouth
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that I'm great at time management, but I did read something a while ago that I've subsequently found useful - I wish I could remember where I read it now. Think I may have mentioned my awful memory on another thread today!

Anyway, it was pretty simple, so apologies if you've already heard of this, or already do it.

The basic idea was that you'd start the week (or the period of time in question) by writing out a task list for Monday - you'd write down everything that absolutely has to be done on Monday.

Now, as you work during the week (if you're anything like me), you think about other tasks, receive emails, get phone calls etc. It's easy to get distracted by these. You can end up doing a little bit of Task A, a little of Task B, half of Task C etc. As a result, you never actually concentrate properly on any single task.

So the idea is that when you receive an email (for example) that needs action, you simply put it on your task list for Tuesday (or even Wednesday). You try, at all costs, to avoid adding it to your task list for the current day. After all, you already started with a full task list for Monday - if you add more to it, then you won't achieve everything that you wanted to.

Once you get to the end of Monday, the idea is that you should be able to tick off everything on Monday's list - there should be very little outstanding that needs to be carried forward.

If nothing else, it does give you a real sense of having achieved "something" during the day.

As I say, this may be old hat, but I've found that it works well for me.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard many similar things.

One is, before you go to bed, to write down three things that you really must do the next day.

The next day... the idea is that you focus on those three things, get them done (if you possibly can) and prioritise them ahead of other distractions.

Pretty much the same things as you're describing, I think... I've tried it in the past and it seems reasonably effective if you can stick to it.
creditguard
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@paul! Agree with your points and according to my point of view just plan for important work for the next day and try to complete this work with responsibility and take immediate action
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the online world, it feels to me as if we're being pulled in all directions these days.

Absolutely agree with this. I seem to have tried most of the techniques and tools that are available out there and I was still having totally wasted days mainly for lack of focus and must-do priorities. I've come full circle and these days I'm reapplying the methods I learned from Dr. Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People). I'm now gradually finding balance again and getting my priorities in order.
mojito8
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, get up early, as early as possible, always plan your day and stick to it. I also turn off Facebook or social sites, communicator, mail because it will always distract you from work. It's also important to award oneself, so after some time (let's say after 5 pm) rest and do the things you like!
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across some research on this a few weeks ago. Apparently a good method of making better use of your time, or at least appearing to have more of it, is to volunteer help to others.
Mat34
PA
PA

22 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a to do list app open all day (Wunderlist). I keep it concise and prioritised. This helps me do the right things at the right time. It helps to prevent procrastination and doing bits of tasks then leaving them unfinished. The goal is to get all the tasks done so you can enjoy free time.

Occasionally I spend too much time in front of the computer. When this happens I use a timer app (Nag) to remind me to take breaks every 30 minutes (pomodoro technique).

I just started reading Getting Things Done by David Allen which is supposed to be great for getting you organised and time efficient.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some good advice there. I probably ought to look up that book but fear that I'd never get around to reading it... Smile

Will be interested to hear you get on. (Welcome to Aardvark by the way...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum