AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting ready for Christmas!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Getting ready for Christmas! Reply with quote

I say this every September and then don't get around to doing it. But this year I am really gearing up for Christmas and I'm starting now,

I've bought a new domain and we're building a gifts site on it. No AdSense on this one! Also I will try to get some Christmassy content up on my foodie blog.

What will you be doing for Christmas?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're doing PPC or some form of marketing that's more immediate than organic search, isn't it a bit late for Christmas?

I won't be doing much in the way of website stuff for Christmas. Instead, we'll be working continuing to work on our travel sites and trying to get them bigger and better for the main booking season that runs from January to Easter.

Paul

PS - I notice at least one of our local supermarkets has already starting displaying Christmas stuff...
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point, Paul, and if I was a complete newbie starting from scratch then it's too late for Christmas this year. But I have some quite big sites behind me with some decent traffic. I can get free advertising from these, so I'm fairly optimistic about this.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, wasn't for one moment suggesting you were a newbie! Wink

But even if you have other sites that are quite big on which you can advertise a Christmas gifts site, it's still not going to be as effective as having a Christmas gift site that ranks, surely?

Presumably the traffic you're going to send across will be from miscellaeneous sites that are not necessarily gift/Christmas focussed...?

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not actually a Christmas gifts site. I don't know that I'd want to be in such a seasonal niche. It's a gifts site and of course Christmas is a big gift-giving time so I thought we could get ready for it.

Oh yes, I'll get the site to rank and it'll get its own traffic, but initially it'll help it to be able to tell our existing audience about it. I can put a prominent ad on the homepage of BE in the same way as I did to help kick start our disabled travel site. Also our newspapers site carries advertising and gets several thousand visitors every day. Surely some of them might be interested in gift ideas.

Personally I don't give anyone Christmas gifts but there is a big market there. People reading my foodie blog for Christmas recipes might like to click through to a site with gift ideas. Well, I'm trying it anyway. I'll let you know how I get on and if I see any success or if it's just another failure.

I know you don't think I'm a newbie. LOL! I'm just agreeing that if someone started from scratch right now, then they've already missed the boat for Christmas this year. But I'm not starting from scratch and I have some resources behind me to use a springboard without needing to resort to PPC.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take on board everything you say... the only thing I would question is the effectiveness of sticking banners (or links) for, say, gifts on a site that isn't entirely related in some way (sure, we all buy gifts, but you know what I mean...)

Take this as an example:

Kay wrote:
I can put a prominent ad on the homepage of BE in the same way as I did to help kick start our disabled travel site...

Surely that is quite limited in its potential because BE isn't already in the disabled niche. It's often fairly small percentages that click on banners or links to other sites. The % CTR would surely be particularly low here, as disabled travel presumably wouldn't be of relevance to many BE users...? A link on a disabled site - or even a travel site - would be far more preferable for something like, don't you think?

I know we've put Christmas gift stuff on our UK travel sites in the past. We've generated sales but not in great numbers...
DylanBaxendale
PA
PA

45 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck!

I understand the importance of starting early for the Christmas season from a business point of view, but I shudder from a personal point of view already seeing Christmas decorations and marketing at this time of the year. Always makes me wonder where the year has gone.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good wishes, Dylan.

Paul, OK, my suggestions aren't the best in the world but it's still a way to get a new site picked up by G and to get eyeballs on it. I'm simply trying to use what I've got.

You might be surprised about the link between BE and disabled travel. A lot of expats are retirees and, as people age, they become less able. So there IS a demand on BE for info about disabled access when travelling. The disabled travel site has benefited from having BE as its promoter.

As for the gifts site, well... everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon for the Christmas buying spree. Your local supermarket isn't in the 'gifts niche' but they're doing it. You'll see gifts and gift ideas being offered everywhere for the next few months. I see no reason why a newspapers site can't send some traffic to a gifts site.

I refute your assumption that "we all buy gifts" - did you forget that I'm Scottish? Twisted Evil
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair points, Kay...

But when I said "we all buy gifts...", maybe I was referring to "us English"... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum