AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Google+ dead?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Is Google+ dead? Reply with quote

After a great deal of fanfare, G+ seems to have died a death a little. What do you think? Is it here to stay? Can it rival Facebook or Twitter at all? Or will it just be another Google Wave scenario?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it is Smile
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent figures:
July 4th 1.7 million users
July 9th 4.5 million users
July 12 10 million users
September 9th 28.7 million users
September 22nd 43.4 million users
And since the beta launch of Google+, the user base has increased a dramatic 30%.
(http://plusheadlines.com/43-million-people-on-google-as-of-this-morning-massive-growth-continues/2301/)

Since it's a Google based product I almost do hope that it crashes and burns. However, the fight between them and Facebook over the cattle (ie. us) is proving very interesting. I don't think G+ is going to fail because this time around Google isn't launching it as a standalone product, it's closely meshed into the rest of their offering, and it won't be long before it's tightly into search and Google financials; the black ribbon along the the top of the screen is illustrative of that.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those stats, Phil... do we have any numbers for active users, do you know?

And that's a good point about its integration. There's a lot of Gmail users out there nowadays (I'm assuming) and having the +YourName link in the top left hand corner whenever you're on Gmail, as well as the alerts in the top right, has surely got to have an impact in getting people to remain active.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active numbers is harder to estimate I'd guess - though some basic data programming would get a good number fairly quickly I imagine. It's still very minor in comparison to Facebook, but comparisons of the growth at similar periods of development shows G+ way out in front.

I think the major difference between G+ and Wave/Buzz is the integration, and this is going to be particularly key when search really starts getting social - we haven't seen hardly anything yet. The whole +1 button thing, G+ circles and so on will become a really useful relevance ranking criteria, and in order to get a good SERP these are going to be important criteria... people will have to use G+, like it or not. That's the advantage that Google has got over Facebook.

Facebook now has to fight on two fronts - it's got to try and deliver a better social networking experience, but given the current debacle they've achieved the exact opposite and that's going to push people towards G+, and they've got to fight back on the search engine front. Either do it themselves, or work much more tightly with Bing and other engines like Blekko for example. They're going to have to try and bring them into the facebook garden in some way if they're to compete with Big G.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After a great deal of fanfare, G+ seems to have died a death a little.

Completely disagree with this. As the stats above show, it's growing faster than say Twitter during the same stage. It'll probably take ages for G+ to catch up with FB and Twitter but my bet is it will get there or at least close enough.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure G+ and Facebook can ever be comparable sizes at the same time. The very nature of social networking means one player becomes dominant at the expense of others. So for G+ to gain that sort of size they'd need to do so at the expense of Facebook. I just can't see that happening.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me provide you with a speculation on exactly how that could happen Adi.

Google continues to ramp up G+ by adding in more functionality, and really starts to play up the mobile element, which Facebook has always failed to capitalise on properly. Google starts to require a G+ account - or at least works with other companies that require it, in the same way that Spotify and Facebook have thrown in together.

Google continues to integrate search, and changes the +1 button to give much more weight than it does with anything else - specifically the Like button. That's going to make a quite radical change to SEO and could start to pull companies away from the Facebook walled garden. Meanwhile, they start to change the way in which search works, and moves to the idea of ranking via social media. We've already seen links to author images in the search results - it's not going to be hard to continue to do this. Google can use its strength in search to leverage itself in social media - Facebook can't do that. Facebook has its walled garden, which is great, but is very limited in terms of search.

Google is already pushing the Google wallet, and it's not going to be long before they further push finance at it - you'll be able to buy products from companies that are advertising by/in G+, and this again is something that Facebook can't really do. G+ then adds games into the mix and offers Zynga a preferential rate, migrates across to G+ taking games data with it. Lots of people would whine about that, but they would follow their game. Push this concept even further towards the Google bank (why do you think we have to use 'real names' in G+) and things start to get serious. G+ becomes a 'proper' social and financial network - Facebook gets left with not a great deal.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the fact that Google continually stumbles when it comes to social media, but then, the dogs dinner that Facebook is making over their changes doesn't inspire me either.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine if Google start requiring G+ for access, and using it to influence search results then Facebook would justifiably throw a major antitrust suit at them as that is a major abuse of their market position.

Remember Microsoft got hit with an enormous fine for trying to do a similar thing with IE and Windows.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
I'd imagine if Google start requiring G+ for access, and using it to influence search results then Facebook would justifiably throw a major antitrust suit at them as that is a major abuse of their market position.

Remember Microsoft got hit with an enormous fine for trying to do a similar thing with IE and Windows.

Spotify now require Facebook to access their service. It's not uncommon. And if you're correct - and I have no reason to think otherwise - it's still going to be very easy to encourage other organisations to do something similar which stays just this side of the law. There's also nothing to stop Google deciding which methods to use to rank searches, and it would be simple to do so within their own G+ garden under the guise of 'better personalisation for you' - 'original' Google search still being available.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there was nothing to stop MS installing IE on every Windows computer either but it was still anti-competitive to any other type of browser because MS were abusing their dominant position in one market to influence another market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Microsoft_competition_case
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr - I'm not trying to have an argument with you Adi - you asked a question, and I provided a potential scenario.

I think it's probably best if I withdraw from this discussion.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument from my end Smile I'd be amazed if Facebook didn't kick up an almighty stink if Google tried that kind of tactic though.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philb wrote:
...G+ then adds games into the mix and offers Zynga a preferential rate, migrates across to G+ taking games data with it. Lots of people would whine about that, but they would follow their game...

I notice for the first time today (but maybe it's been there longer and I've missed it) that there's a section for 'Games' on the right hand side of G+ now...
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update re: Google+

http://siliconfilter.com/report-the-rumors-of-googles-death-have-been-greatly-exaggerated/

The message would appear to be 'ignore at your peril'.... maybe. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum