AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you post for ideas or sales?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Do you post for ideas or sales? Reply with quote

I wrote an article a week or so ago comparing the act of networking for ideas vs networking to gain resources (usually making sales). Thought it works equally well with posting on forums. The best posters (imo) are the ones that come here to share ideas, learn new things and generally contribute to the debates. The worst posters are the ones that come here purely to try and make money.

Do you post for ideas or sales?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Adi. I'd never try to use a forum to generate sales. It's like barging into a group of friends and trying to flog them something. That's a pretty good way of alienating people.

If you exchange info and ideas, you can often find that people do want to do business with you. That's been my experience anyway. Nearly all the people I do business with these days, whether they're buying my services or I'm buying theirs, invariably it's someone I met on a forum and got to know them.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it, and it's one of the reasons I've never really got on with 'networking' events, as they're so often attended by sole traders looking to sell things. Not really my idea of fun.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i only post on a forum when inspired by an idea

i've cut down my networking to a few select events but when i go, generally i've got an attendance list & i home in on certain individuals then basically have a good chat & laugh with them... but always getting them to tell me about them first.
So far its generated a ton of work..so something is working
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to butt in, but does anyone want to buy some cheap Nike trainers from me? Wink
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's just what it's like!
wadeinni
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just published an article regarding this very topic yesterday. It's always better to post on forums or blogs for inspiration and ideas. In addition to that what desperate-to-sell posters don't realize is that, helping others with great suggestions and ideas help build their own reputation and trust among their online acquaintances. Your very own business and personal brand get a boost because of the relationships you foster in these forums. Hawking products and services in people faces who barely know you is a sure and easy way to get people hating your brand, not to mention they might start badmouthing your tactics to others, you wouldn't want that now would you?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on.

I think a big problem with many people who don't get it is that they're looking for a quick fix. They want to see results from their activities straight away and, to be honest, it just doesn't normally happen that way.

If you take this forum, for example, a huge proportion have a very low post count. They've coming along, posted a few messages and got nowhere because they never really became known by the rest of the community. Worse still, some got desperate for 'results' and spammed the board and got banned. Even worse, some did that with their very first post(s). Evil or Very Mad

Hope you don't mind, Wade, but I'm going to use you as an example of someone who's bucking that trend. You've registered on here, introduced yourself properly, been courteous and offered a number of helpful replies. You've not sought anything in return, you've not tried to sell us anything and you haven't asked the usual 'how do I add a signature' with one of your very first posts. (Between you and me [and the rest of Aardvark, I guess!], your presence has been noted on the moderators forum as a refreshing change from what we normally get!)

Other members (and particularly the established) are, as a consequence, immediately more receptive to you, more interested in what you do and more willing to listen to what you have to say. It's obvious, really, I suppose, but seems to get overlooked by so many.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I do it to interact with people as I get bored stupid, and it is a break from work.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Wade, of course. It's easy to spot a good new member.

A lot of the problem that forums like this face is people with poor English language skills. They're not able to contribute and communicate in this medium, but they want to get their message out so they try anyway.

Some of it is just blatant spam, some do it by trying to say something "interesting" by copying and pasting from elsewhere. The bottom line is that most of these guys are only here building up their post counts so they can get sig links. Either they want to sell us something or they're working on their link building quotas. None of that kind of stuff helps the forum to be a place for useful discussion.

So, going back to Adi's point, it's not a good idea to use forums to sell. And my point - forums are good for doing business.

Last edited by Kay on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but you'd also acknowledge that it can be a help to your work at the same time, wouldn't you OWG?
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, there have been times when I was stuck on something i know nothing about, and turned to a forum for help. Mostly though i do it to 'get out' and speak to people, exchanging knowledge.

I think the biggest 'payback' I get is knowledge exchange.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have assumed your biggest benefit would be from helping others. I don't often see you asking questions, normally just answering them and being generally helpful to people! Smile
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjy helping people, it gets me out (virtually) I do believe though that the more you give the more you get, not that I give to get, but whenever I have been really stuck, there have always been people who have offered to help me, which is really nice.

Life is good at the moment, daughter in yr8 she is a 'big girl' now died red hair, more phones than T Mobile, more elctronic equipment than Comet, but she has her own sites and is making decent money so what can I say Smile
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year 8...?! Woah... where did that time go?

Our two are quite a few years behind her, but still the time seems to fly by so fast.

They definitely have a keen computer interest, but more for the likes of Club Penguin, Moshi Monsters, Friv and Panfu (I've discovered a whole new internet world out there! Laughing )

Hopefully one day they will channel their enthusiasm into something a little more productive! Smile

Last edited by paul on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum