AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dupe content - does it matter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Dupe content - does it matter? Reply with quote

Ever since G's Panda update there's been quite a lot of talk about how using duplicated content can be bad for your sites.

Well, I do take good info on board but I don't have to believe everything I read. I get a lot of press releases and it occurred to me that this is a heap of content which is just going to waste because I mostly don't use dupe content on any of my sites.

So, I've decided to start a new site for the dupe content, ie the press releases. It's been done before, I know. But it'll be interesting to see what, if anything I can make of it.

I'll be sure to let you know.

Disclaimer: if it makes me very, very rich, I'll be on my yacht and not bothering to post on forums.

Do you use dupe content? What do you think about it?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid it like the plague. Whilst I don't think there's anything in Google guidelines to say it's categorically not allowed, it certainly seems clear that it isn't going to be ranked favourably any time soon (unless you're the original source).

I would imagine that the time and effort put into creating a site that is nothing but duplicate content would be better spent on creating a much smaller site that has unique content. The latter would surely be an easier proposition when it comes to bringing traffic in.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going off the idea now, even though I've already bought a domain for it. I'm not particularly worried about building traffic or even monetising it. As you say, it's the work involved and I've got more than enough things to do already.

If I could find some way of making it more of a UGC type of thing - on WordPress where the users have their own accounts, and write their own postings, which only have to be approved for publication by owner - that might be a different matter. But I don't know how difficult it might be to teach all these PR people how to do that.

Also it's a chicken and egg thing, the PR people probably would want to wait until the site is successful before they get involved. And I'm a bit late to market with this one.

I do wonder, though, what happens to all these press releases that are churned out all the time. Does everyone just bin them? There must be some way to use them to keep people informed about what's happening in the industry.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
I'm not particularly worried about building traffic or even monetising it.

So - from a business point of view, at least - what would be the purpose?

Kay wrote:
If I could find some way of making it more of a UGC type of thing - on WordPress where the users have their own accounts, and write their own postings, which only have to be approved for publication by owner - that might be a different matter. But I don't know how difficult it might be to teach all these PR people how to do that.

Again, I think this kind of already exists. Actually, now you mention it at that way, I have actually wondered about doing this kind of thing before, specifically for the UK tourist industry, but I've never prioritised it (because I'm not convinced of its revenue potential, I guess) so it's not yet happened.

Kay wrote:
Also it's a chicken and egg thing, the PR people probably would want to wait until the site is successful before they get involved.

Yep, definitely. To get them to submit in volume, there probably needs to be a big carrot for them (ie. decent traffic).

Kay wrote:
I do wonder, though, what happens to all these press releases that are churned out all the time. Does everyone just bin them? There must be some way to use them to keep people informed about what's happening in the industry.

I think either a) they get thrown on to the kinds of sites you're describing, or b) they get binned. I get sent a lot, and they just get a quick reply saying 'don't send me press releases, please' and a link to how to submit to us if they want inclusion.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kay wrote:

I didn't express myself very well. Embarassed I meant that it's not a problem for me to build traffic or figure out how to monetise it, so I'm not worried about doing that side of things.

Re UGC, I have a few people with contributor accounts on my expat site (just like you have on some of yours). They can submit their own content for us to publish, but I'm not sure how many PR people would be able to get their heads around using WordPress. If I'm right about that, then it's back to the emailed press releases and a copy'n'paste job for us.

I think it does have some revenue making potential but, like you, I'm not so sure that my time wouldn't be better spent elsewhere. I suppose I could outsource some of the initial work to get the place going.

I dunno. I'm undecided now and we're off to Cambodia next week so I won't be starting it in the immediate future.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
Quote:
Kay wrote:

I didn't express myself very well. Embarassed I meant that it's not a problem for me to build traffic or figure out how to monetise it, so I'm not worried about doing that side of things.

Ah, I see. Smile I'm sure you could, but possibly not as easily as you could by other means.

Kay wrote:
Re UGC, I have a few people with contributor accounts on my expat site (just like you have on some of yours). They can submit their own content for us to publish, but I'm not sure how many PR people would be able to get their heads around using WordPress. If I'm right about that, then it's back to the emailed press releases and a copy'n'paste job for us.

...which at the end of the day would mean you'd be offering something that's not too dissimilar to a scraping site, only you'd be doing the work of inputting all the content by hand rather than automating it.

Have fun in Cambodia... Smile
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You're probably right. It's another of my bright ideas that I didn't think through properly before jumping in.

Maybe I'll just head over to one of the domaining sites and try to flog the domain.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it can't work... just that it's probably easier to make other things work. Smile
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to the OP about whether dupe content matters or not, could it not be the case that some dupe content doesn't matter on a site with mostly original content? If that was the case, then I could slot these press releases onto one of my other sites.

Why would I do that? More info for the visitor, more pages for the SEs to find us with, and more pages for us to slap adverts on.

Also, what about syndicated content? Our CAN site (link in sig) gets syndicated content, which we pay for, from a news service. There's only, say, a dozen other sites using it legitimately, although it does frequently get stolen. Rolling Eyes The syndicated content brings traffic and raises our profile, so I see it as an asset to the site. But it's still dupe content.

I dunno, maybe it's just that sites with no original content which are attracting penalties. It's too difficult to predict what G might do next.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but as I understand it, you don't get penalised (in the sense that you get a Google penalty) if you display duplicate content. Indeed, there can be legitimate reasons for dupe content sometimes (such as a mobile friendly version of a website). But you can find it's harder to get good rankings for duplicate content if you are not the original source.

I don't see a problem with occasional press releases in a blog that's predominantly dupe content, but then I'm not Google so I don't have the final say in these matters... Wink
wileyparksons
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the beam turns red when the website with dupe content also has a questionable backlinking pattern or sources. You know, the results of unskillful use of xrumer and scrapebox.

If you find value in a dupe content for your readers, you can still have it on your site, but by incorporating rel=canonical or, much better, noindex nofollow to it to be safe. Dr. Pete @ SEOmoz explained it very well at seomoz.org/blog/duplicate-content-in-a-post-panda-world
DeniseTaylor
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I try very hard not to dupe content anywhere and am probably overboard-cautious about it.

I hope you get your yacht! But since we're nice, can we be invited? Very Happy
michaelK
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its matter a lot dear don't ever use duplicate content on your site. Google will definitely punish you
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelK wrote:
Google will definitely punish you

Not necessarily.

There are plenty of instances where duplicate content can be legitimate or you can ask Google not to crawl certain pages. So dupe content does not "'definitely' result in being punished by Google.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wileyparksons wrote:
I think the beam turns red when the website with dupe content also has a questionable backlinking pattern or sources. You know, the results of unskillful use of xrumer and scrapebox.

If you find value in a dupe content for your readers, you can still have it on your site, but by incorporating rel=canonical or, much better, noindex nofollow to it to be safe. Dr. Pete @ SEOmoz explained it very well at seomoz.org/blog/duplicate-content-in-a-post-panda-world

This kinda sums it up for me I think. If the BBC have dupe conent it'll be handled differently to some crappy blogspot site with no credibility (in Google's eyes).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum