AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple accuse TripAdvisor of ruining their business
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Couple accuse TripAdvisor of ruining their business Reply with quote

There's an interesting article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16501967

It's debatable whether a bad review can ruin your business, but there have been other negative claims made about TA before, such as you're more likely to get on their top lists if you pay them.

I usually find TA to be a good source of info but also know of malicious reviews by people trying to put their competitors out of business. I guess, like anything on the internet, it's open to abuse.

What do you think of TA?

Last edited by Kay on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In essence, it's a great concept but...

The reality is how harmful it can be on a business. TA doesn't have a means of verifying whether a person has or hasn't stayed, and I think this is crucial. Some sites (with far few reviews admittedly) do have a means. I know of hotels that have had problems with bad reviews, for instance, because they sacked their chef, and he then exacted revenge.

How Steve Kaufer can say there aren't malicious reviews posted, I don't know. He doesn't
properly address the question as to how you know a review is genuine, other than saying they're "very good at it". That's not really enough IMHO.

All that said, I still think it's a useful resource but you need to read reviews with the knowledge that they might not all be genuine. Non-genuine reviews can be obvious sometimes, but not always.
Mar
Executive PA
Executive PA

44 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Paul - I'd agree that Trip Advisor can be a great resource; but I have experienced a dubious review where our experience of a B&B seemed much more favourable than a review by someone else after our visit.

We stayed in a budget B&B the night before a ferry crossing to the Scottish islands and didn't want to spend too much money. For the amount we paid, the place was basic but clean, the breakfast very nice and the hospitality warm and friendly.

The tone of the poor review was vitriolic - it was unnecessary and unfair. I hope it hasn't deterred people from staying at this B&B but fear that it might.

Mar
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mar, as you say, it's important to remember how much you're paying to eat or stay in a place. If I'm staying in a room above a bar, my expectations would be quite different from if it was a five star hotel. I think some of the people who write reviews on TA don't 'get' that and they complain because everything wasn't top-notch.

Also, their are cultural differences between the reviewers depending on what country they come from. Some might have different expectations from others.

I know everyone has to start with their first review but I am always more suspicious of someone with only one review under their belt. If it's good, I wonder if it's a shill promotional piece, and if it's bad it could be a competitor.

Do you post much on TA? I rarely bother. I think I've done about eight fairly short reviews after a few years of membership.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a similar number, Kay, over probably a decade. Whilst I find TA a helpful resource, I have other things to do with my time. That's obviously not the case for everyone, as they still clearly attract a good number of reviews. I agree about your comment about those people with only one or two reviews.

A couple of years back, I spotted a review of a hotel I'm familiar with. I recognised the username of the reviewer - it was used for owner responses by another hotel in the same location. And I just happened to be in the know that the two hotels were under the same ownership. Needless to say, the reviewing was glowingly positive. Rolling Eyes
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never believe one review in isolation. I'd look for a similar pattern of response in a number of reviews. Not just TA but also Amazon etc

I don't think I'm alone. Most review readers are initially sceptical given the amount of rubbish on the web
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martynh wrote:
Most review readers are initially sceptical...

I'd like to think you're right there, Martyn. My fear is that most review readers probably aren't as sceptical as perhaps they should be.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been proven that negative reviews can actually help because it helps create an air of authenticity. I think this has mostly been tried on the products own website mind you so not sure how it applies when the reviews are on 3rd party sites.
Mark Pickering
PA
PA

24 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big believer in the fact that cream will always rise to the top, however TripAdvisor is without doubt open to abuse. A Paul mentions above, there is absolutely no method of ensuring that the reviewer has in fact stayed at the venue in question and I believe that this is regularly abused with some hotels paying for positive reviews and others leaving negative reviews for competitors.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So called crowdturfing is on the rise

http://www.adigaskell.org/blog/2012/01/13/how-big-a-problem-is-crowdturfing/

This is people being paid to inflate a companies social media love.
Mark Pickering
PA
PA

24 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is most certainly on the increase - but that's what makes TripAdvisor so dangerous to small businesses.
smokdarecki
PA
PA

34 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I remember that booking.com allow reviews about particular hotel, only for registered customers who have recently got reservation at this hotel and stayed there.
No one can post review if not have been there.
It seems a fair situation. Don't you think so?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... much fairer. This was the point I was making in my first post in this thread.
Drachsi
Executive PA
Executive PA

136 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: From a TA reviewer Reply with quote

I have been a contributor for a number of years, and currently have 63 reviews. I don't use this for any serious marketing, but you can, including a link to your website.

The point is, it is just a strangers opinion, some are more believable than others, consider the writing style, does seem like a normal everyday person?

Drachsi
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: From a TA reviewer Reply with quote

Drachsi wrote:
The point is, it is just a strangers opinion...

Less so nowadays. In many cases now you can see whether friends have stayed and reviewed, or friends of friends... quite a useful addition, I think, if you have friends that do that sort of thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum