AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How best to tackle Google AdWords?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: How best to tackle Google AdWords? Reply with quote

Over the years, Google AdWords has become increasingly complex. In the early days, it was so straightforward. You bid $0.20 a click and someone else came along and bid more than you, so you no longer had the top position.

Alas, it's no longer quite so simple for would-be advertisers. In fact, it's become extremely complex as Google AdWords has become more intelligent and intuitive. For your average advertiser, this presents a significant problem. Does he/she spend copious amounts of time trying to decipher it all? This could be the detriment or running his/her business, of course.

But the other option is to hire a professional in the field. The problem with that is there are a lot of cowboys out there who don't have the same interest at heart in ensuring your advertising spend is well placed. On the contrary, it's actually in their interests in many cases to convince you to spend as much as possible on AdWords as it'll mean they're earning more.

I recently found myself dissuading someone from signing up to an AdWords company (successfully eventually, I think!). It was going to cost them something like 500 a month, with no guarantee or a return (and to my mind, no likelihood of a return). The company don't even to appear to have advised the advertiser to improve some aspects of his site before starting the campaigns - something that looked very necessary to my mind. They simply wanted to get spending and would no doubt use the "your site's not very good" line of argument at a later date when the campaigns failed to deliver.

So... for a small business, what would you say is the best way to tackle AdWords? Ignore it altogether, try to run your own campaigns or hire someone?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens, higher positions don't correlate to higher profits anyway - http://www.adigaskell.org/blog/2012/01/20/adwords-higher-ad-positions-does-not-equal-higher-profits/

As for Adwords though, for me you really need to take a holistic (sorry couldn't think of another word) approach that includes good keyword research, experimentation with ad copy and of course extensive landing page optimisation.

A good start point will be to get any company working for you to operate based on revenue for you. I suspect that many will think if they get good click through rates that there work is done, even if those people don't convert. Get everyone focusing on conversions though and it's better all round.
anthonyzlinks
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Optimized keywords/phrases and exact match Reply with quote

Use exact keywords and exact match. This way you only are paying for exactly what you want. It cuts the budgets down to reasonable.

Best regards,

Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum