AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There are some pretty strange people in Cumbria!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: There are some pretty strange people in Cumbria! Reply with quote

I've just been reading a story from the "Funny Old World" section in Private Eye No. 1305.

Apparently people have been finding some kind of mysterious jelly. That's not so strange to me as people's reaction to it. Some people seemed to think it was an alien life-form.. The guy who owns the village shop collected some and put it in a tub in his freezer. Someone sent a sample to a scientist at the Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh (that seemed quite sensible).

Anyway, the scientist managed to find out that it was sperm from rutting stags which reacted to water in the puddles where it was found. Seems like a reasonable explanation.

What I don't understand is that stags must have been rutting in the area for hundreds of years, and it must have rained during some of the rutting seasons before, so how come everyone was so mystified by this "jelly".

Maybe it's a publicity stunt to get Cumbria in the news. But I can think of much better ways to attract people to an area than shouting about big lumps of stag sperm floating in the puddles.

Paul, was it a big news item in the UK?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, Kay, no... but I have read about it before. I recall reading about it once on some paranormal forum (or something like that... not a place I frequent!) and numerous people in the discussion were giving the rutting stags explanation as a plausible theory.

Anyway... Cumbria found a different way of making the news today... this is currently the most read story on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wear-16952926

The conditions have been *really* bad. I don't recall it ever being like this before.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. I hope things improve soon.

I had an email from one of my aff managers earlier this week, who wished me well on "this fine frosty morning". I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt at the time. I don't envy you the British winters. I wonder how my pal is all the way up there in Caithness. Smile
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got a bit better as the day has progressed. I think the conditions here were just such that we had freezing rain (I don't know if you were able to watch the video on that BBC link)... basically rain falls on frozen ground and instantly freezes to make a very icy sheet on the ground.

I was out gritting our communal ramp (shared by 10 houses) at home this morning, but it was a struggle just to get to the grit bin. Smile
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, interesting video, thanks. The Beeb is often quite funny about letting people in other countries watch their vids, but that one was available.

With freezing rain being such a rare occurrence in the UK, I guess people just don't know how to cope with it. Better to stay at home if you possibly can.

Stay safe!
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... we left it an hour before taking our children to school. It gave the main roads a bit of time to thaw. Then I walked to work (along the main road, not the pavement... too treacherous!).
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's another related story today on the BBC, about flood prevention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16965241

Sometime the weather really does seem to be out of control.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think by now that the UK would be better equipped at dealing with it all, wouldn't you?

We seem to be especially inept at handling snow/ice. We grind to a halt where other countries seems to carry on regardless.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scots have been dealing fine with snow and ice for decades. We're used to it and have the infrastructure (snow poles for guidance and snow gates to close the roads if necessary) and the machinery (snow ploughs) to react quickly to the situation. Snow is normal for the Scots. It seems to be less so for those further south in England, so they've not invested in dealing with it in the same way.

Therefore, if a road is blocked in Scotland, there's a team onto it quickly to sort it, but in England it's still seen as being something "unusual" so they don't have the task force to put into action straight away. That said, Cumbria is more like the Highlands than the Scottish Central Belt. Somehow the English always seem to be surprised by snow. As well as thinking that stag sperm is an alien life-form. Very weird people the English.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz

Well... if it be known... we've had just one set of guests who have had to cancel a stay at our holiday let, and it happened to be due to snow. And guess where they were from? Wink

I'm sure the Scots are far better equipped than the English, but they're still probably pitifully equipped relative to other parts of the world. Some seem to keep the roads clear and open no matter how much snow...

Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey! That is a LOT of snow. But the photo doesn't look real. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum