AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European City Guide, SL - beware!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: European City Guide, SL - beware! Reply with quote

Just received a form in the post with our business details on, from European City Guide, SL (aka ECG, SL), with an envelope addressed to

E.C.G., S.L.
c/Martínez Cubells n° 6, 4°,pta 8
E-46002 Valencia

On first glance, it looks like they just want to confirm your details are correct in order to update their database and, should you not do this in time, "it could be erased in their next update".

Goodness knows what benefit (if any) there is in being there database anyhow but that's not my reason for writing - this is:

Towards the bottom of the form, where you write your "Legal Signature", it says that basically, by filling out and returning the form, you are going to incur a cost. You are basically agreeing to be "in the next and following two editions of the Industry and Commerce (CD-ROM-Internet), arranged according to cities, countries, trade or professional activity, in the form of an advertisement. The cost per edition is Euro 997.00 plus corresponding V.A.T. if applicable. One CD-ROM for each edition will be delivered to the advertiser at no extra cost..." etc. and then there a whole load of terms and conditions printed on the reverse.

In short, don't get caught out by signing and returning this form, thinking that it's good to be listed on all the directories that are out there. Doing this with this particular form could make you liable for a bill of 3 lots of 997 euros!!!!

And I seriously doubt you'd see any return on that "investment". Rolling Eyes
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more information, you might want to also read http://stopecg.org/ which appears to be a campaign to stop these people.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary! Thanks for warning people about it. I've not received one of these yet but it's probably only a matter of time.

Or maybe I have received one and haven't noticed it yet. I'm being swamped by people who have approved my loan applications or those who are trying to sell me Ford cars. Or redecorate my office. Or trying to flog me wooden floors. Oh well, I suppose it makes a change from the penis enlargement stuff. Rolling Eyes
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're talking about email there, Kay...?

This particular item comes via snail mail (or at least it did with us).
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was mostly referring to email. The only snail mail spam we've had has been about renewing domain names.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes... Domain Registry of America by any chance?

Got one of those a couple of days ago, too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum