AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple results from the same domain in the Google SERPs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Multiple results from the same domain in the Google SERPs Reply with quote

Do any of you feel you're seeing an increase in how much Google seems to repeatedly show the same domains in succession in its search results?

Previously they used to indent a second result, or maybe show a link saying 'more from this domain' (or similar), or you'll sometimes see half a dozen pages across two columns indented.

But increasingly I'm seeing the same domain occur three or four times in a row, without any indentation. Surely this isn't good for the user yet I've read that Google thinks otherwise. What do you think?
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Google's returned to this approach. I think it's dreadful. But then, everything that Google does these days is dreadful. I was running a course for business folks the other day, and the thing that most of them said, in one form or another was 'Give me alternatives to Google, because I hate it' - and of course I was only too happy to oblige! :)
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be your recommended alternatives, Phil...?

And does anyone know if we're seeing any kind of backlash as a result of Google taking their eye off the ball? Are people changing their choice of search engine in any significant numbers that Google should be worried?
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the engines which are currently getting good press are DuckDuckGo and Blekko Paul. However, as usual it depends on what you're after - there's a variety of social media engines that work really well, such as Socialmention or Icerocket.

The problem that Google has got is that they've really nailed their colours to the G+ mast, and if it doesn't work they're going to lose a lot of credibility (and quite right in my opinion) and we'll have the continued rampant rise of Facebook. Rock and a hard place anyone?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil. Was aware of Blekko and have liked using it a little in the past but for some reason it's never made me convert. DuckDuckGo I was less familiar with, but it does vaguely ring a bell.

Taken a fresh look at each of them. Speaking not-so-impartially (ie. with our own sites in mind), I like the DDG results, but less keen on Blekko.

For example, for a search for 'uk travel blog'

I'd like to see our site at http://www.ukseries.com/blog - there aren't many blogs out there specific to UK travel and tourism and ours fairly prominent and updated regularly.

On Google, we are 4th (under my results, at least), on DDG 3rd, but on Blekko nowhere to be seen in the first 50 results.

Similarly, a search for 'uk hotels', we'd like to see our http://www.ukhotel.com site come up.

Google 4th, DDG 1st, Blekko nowhere.

'uk cottages' ( http://www.ukcottage.com )

Google 3rd, DDG 2nd, Blekko 2nd (hurrah!)

Maybe I'm not using Blekko right. I know it has one or two quirks. But are people going to change to these other search engines? Not in vast numbers yet, as far as I can foresee...

I also don't see G+ making major inroads into market share from Facebook. I know I've got a little bored of using it and have a tendency to disregard the red number at the top right of my Gmail...
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - a good way to try out Blekko is to run a search and use the /monte slashtag after it - you'll then see 3 disguised sets of results and you can pick the one that you like the best. You might also want to create your own slashtag(s) as well, such as /travel perhaps or /cottages and choose a range of sites that get searched - it may make a bit of a difference if anyone tries them out.

Phil.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Phil... missed your post but catching up now. Yes, I must look at Blekko again and look a little closer. I do recall using it a few years back and, the more I used it, the more I got the hang of it and liked some of the things it could do.

Worryingly for me, though, I still see no great improvement in Google's tackling of the issue raised in this thread. If anything it seems to be getting worse, and the problem further exacerbated by the SERPs being dominated not only by results from recurring domains but also by a whole stack of Google Local results.

Let's say I search for 'edinburgh attractions'
https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=edinburgh+attractions

The first chunk (and almost to the fold of the page on my laptop screen) is AdWords.

Then the next four results are all from one domain (edinburgh.org) - fair enough for them to be first if they're the most authoritative source of information, but why four times?!

Then I get a whole bank of Google Local / Maps stuff (7 in all)

Then waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the page, I'm getting a few results, including big brands such as TimeOut and Tripadvisor (not so easy for us little fish to compete against).

Before finally getting yet more AdWords.

So much for Google saying your site shouldn't be ad-heavy or, for that matter, them actually delivering helpful results.

I don't mean this to sound like sour grapes, but we have some really useful, unique content in this regard ( http://www.ukattraction.com/edinburgh+lothian/edinburgh.html ) but as long as Google continues to do this kind of thing, we're just not getting a look in (we don't appear in the top 100 for this search term).

For more specific search terms, we do better, but not as well as we used to because of sites such as Tripadvisor and others getting replicated again and again within the same search. (eg. https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=windermere+attractions - we make it to the first page, in 7th place, but it's well down the page once you take the Google Local stuff into consideration).

Sorry... I know this is the same point as in my first post... I'm just venting!

The point is... these alternative search engines that are out there. Who's using them? I don't see any evidence that people are turning their back on Google in any serious numbers. I'm not doing (as yet) myself and I'd like to think I'm more than savvy than most users. But as long as Google remains in people's mindset, as long as people don't realise that the results could be so much better, and as long as the alternatives aren't doing enough to attractive users away from Google, I don't see the situation changing.

So really I'm left hoping that Google sees the error of its ways and starting returning more useful results. Is there any hope of that, do you think?
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - I understand exactly what you mean, and you've articulated the problem perfectly. The problem is that Google really doesn't care that much about search any longer. It's going down the route of personalisation at a tremendous rate and isn't really thinking about the consequences. When it's not doing that it's emphasising its own G+ content. My feeling is that the more you can do in G+ to raise your profile the more highly you'll rank. It's very frustrating.

Certainly in the UK Google is way out in front of everything else, although not so much in the US - which may be good news if you get a lot of customers from there.

We're beginning to see a real change now in the way that ranking works (IMO) as the value of websites/pages drops, and social media results with +1 and Like buttons becomes more important.

My advice is that it's going to be necessary to do more on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and the other social media sites, increase the likes etc that you can get, and focus on Google+ - still doing SEO but of a rather different type now, and looking for a different outcome.

Phil.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil... unfortunately most of our paying customers are indeed from the UK.

I've been thinking about this a lot today and was concluding that, even if we were to get much more favourable rankings in Google than we are doing currently, it still probably wouldn't be enough to get us the #1, #2 and #3 positions that we used to regularly enjoy for a lot of different search terms. Not when certain domains get linked to repeatedly.

So I arrived at the same conclusion as you - that I can't place as much reliance on Google search results, and that that means social media.

Problem is, I don't see it lending itself quite as well to what we're doing. I see it that if someone wants a hotel in Manchester, say, they'll search (on a search engine) for 'manchester hotel', rather than make a chance encounter via a post on a Facebook page or a tweet.

We have a reasonable degree of exposure on the likes of Facebook (not just http://www.facebook.com/ukseries but also the likes of http://www.facebook.com/londontourism and http://www.facebook.com/lakedistrict ), Twitter ( @ukseries and @uktraveloffers ) and Google+ ( http://gplus.to/luxurytravel ) but probably not as much engagement as we should have.

More work required, methinks...

Paul

PS - Another example of how the results truly are getting terrible:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=wettest+places+in+britain

8 results linking to The Telegraph, followed by 2 linking to us. Rolling Eyes

I've told Matt Cutts... feel free to RT. Wink

https://twitter.com/#!/ukseries/status/194798156637147136
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Another example of how the results truly are getting terrible:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=wettest+places+in+britain

8 results linking to The Telegraph, followed by 2 linking to us. Rolling Eyes

Ah now you see, this isn't what I get at all as my results. The first two are Telegraph, then yours, and then a bunch of other stuff.

Phil.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I'm getting the first two me and then the next 8 from the Telegraph. I suppose at least that's an improvement. Just goes to show that personal search is such a factor nowadays, too, and there's no longer any point to people claiming to be top on Google...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum