AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best way of saying "no" to phone calls?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: What's the best way of saying "no" to phone calls? Reply with quote

I handle a lot of emails in a day, across multiple different accounts.

Every so often people will email and say they want to speak to me on the phone. For example, the latest one is:

"Still keen to chat blogging, what's the best number to get you on?"

In short, call me grumpy but I don't want to "chat" to people. In all probability, it'd probably be a waste of my time anyway because they want to put a widget on my blog for $10 or something (no, thanks). I find it far more efficient to handle everything by email. It's then on my terms and I can reply/ignore as I please. I can say a simple "no, thank you" to people if it's not something I like, and not have to listen to them try to convince me otherwise. I can also take time to reflect on the best response if I so wish.

What's the best way of saying to these people "sorry, I don't do the phone"...? Smile
DeniseTaylor
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read your post, it really resonated with me. Email is so much more flexible than phones. I actually know people who don't even use email yet. They act like I'm from outer space or something because I don't depend upon the phone or use it much.

What I would do is just say, "My preference is email, actually," or "Email works much better for me," or "Telephone! Who uses telephones anymore?" (kidding.)
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denise and welcome to the forums (if I haven't already said as much!)

Think I'll give the first two a shot, and see what response they get. Not sure about the third - sometimes humour doesn't always translate over the internet as it's intended. Wink

Paul
Azolla
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes email is definitely best for a lot of purposes. There's no point wasting time every day being on the phone to people that you don't need to be or want to be.
I do prefer being on the phone though if you want to have a proper dialogue with somebody that you are already doing business with, working with, etc. It's sometimes better and clearer communication since some people aren't clear with exactly what they mean with their emails.
smokdarecki
PA
PA

34 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Once friend of mine got girl-friend. She loved to talk by mobile phone by hours.
Once, my friend got the call from her. She was talking and talking and my friend was afraid to say that, he wants to close this "one-way" conversation.
He got angry and put his mobile phone into the trouser's pocket. (she was still talking !!)
It was so funny, we were walking on the busy street in the centre of our city, with "talking" pocket ! Laughing
And people on the street noticed, there is something wrong with this trousers !! Laughing
Mat34
PA
PA

22 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm abroad on a different time zone and have a really bad reception on my cheap mobile phone". It works because it is true most of the time Razz
Epiphany
Secretary
Secretary

23 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used that my business line was done and can't provide my private line. It usually works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum