AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A job crisis on the horizon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: A job crisis on the horizon? Reply with quote

Apparently in just 10 years there's going to be 1.2 billion looking for work, but only 300 million jobs available.

A scary statistic.

Read more at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17855240

What would you do to solve the problem?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything one person or a government can do. The economy is far too complex for governments to manage now. They're bystanders now like the rest of us. The only difference is that they haven't accepted this position yet.
John Ashtone
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised at Lucy Kellaway falling for that made up statistic, where do they get their figures, how do they know there will only be 300 million jobs for 1.2 billion people. Sad

The 1,2 billion is not a given, if the current trends continue then there could well only be 800 Million looking for a job as the birth figures are currently starting to plummet. Shocked

And how was the future jobs figure arrived at, again as they have no knowledge of future inventions or develpments it is guesswork of the most guesstimate type. Very Happy

I think Lucy should have had a word with fellow FT contibutor Tim Harford the Undercover Economist, I feel fairly certain he would pull those figures apart. Twisted Evil

However there would be one less job then and so Lucy would be self fulfilling the future statistic and I wouldn't want that. Embarassed

So I think Ms. Kellaway is going to be wrong because she is right, or perhaps the other way around Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum