AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Introductions Forum     <<<   If you're new, post here first!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadadave
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Hello, Hello! Reply with quote

My name is David Hanner, I live in Buffalo, am married and have 2 little boys, age 6 and 2.

I had a carreer as composer in Europe, where I spent most of my life. I came to the US (I am American, btw) to get a PhD degree in music composition, which I have since 2009. - Thanks for the applause, but the sad truth is, that in order to make a living you need a job- which you need a PhD for in my 'niche,'- long story short: no job openings in my field since then, and if there are any, you compete with 700 to 1000 other applicants.

So,
I started my journey of building my own home business 4 months ago, and although I am nearly broke I am still optimistic that I will get there, and that most of my investments will pay off at some point…
Well, you could say that I HAVE to stay optimistic after throwing so much money out the window! - Well, to some degree I would have to agree but the point is, that I don’t want to stop trying to reach my goals, no matter what!- Well, we all learn from our mistakes!
One ting that I learn right now (and get to appreciate the more I do follow this principle:) is, that the more of value you exchange with others, the richer your life becomes;
That’s why we all are here, right?
See you soon,
David
P.S.I have learned already a lot just by following some threads I have discovered here, and believe me: whenever I feel compelled to write a post, I do not intend to spam but try to contribute in the spirit I have touched upon
I hope that this my approach does not obstruct the forum rules, but in case I seem to slip of this fine line between posting an advice and promoting something, please send me a message and I will adjust!

Thank you,
David
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, David.

When you say "home business", can you clarify (without links) what it is that you are doing?

I'm worried that you could be wasting your time... Confused
gadadave
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: heloo - reply Reply with quote

Hi Paul, thank you for your welcome!
I do internet marketing. Now in the early stages and new in the field, I am simply trying to get traffic to my landing page. Since there is a web marketing forum (among others), I would simply practise my reading/ understaning/ learning, and communication skills.
I am not here to sneak in some links, because THAT would really be a waste of time..
Ahoi Smile
David
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

What is it that you're marketing?

From what little you've said so far, I'm thinking/fearing it's probably some MLM scheme of some kind...

Paul
gadadave
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Hello, Hello! Reply with quote

I don't understand, - scheme? - Why would you think that?

Anyway: Right now I provide information about list building , blogging ect. - things that might be valuable for people who would like to make their own campaigns more effective, by reaching out to customers. content rich and valuable to others who need and search for this kind of resources.

It was helpful for me to reflect on what I am actually doing, for I am - as I said before- new in the business world.
I thank you for this opportunity; - especially because it helps me to make things clear for myself, and to address myself clearly.
From introducing myself up to this reply everything I said is true.

I registered a company name and try nothing else than to reinvent myself, and to learn from others who are successful. That, and nothing else!, is why I registered to become a member of this discussion forum.

But if you think that I do not fit in your circle, - no hard feelings. and if you like music you might check out my website and go to the audio files page (David B Hanner, Composer...)

David
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. How does this work? It sounds like you're selling an online marketing product (ebook?), but are here asking for advice on online marketing.

Why would a potential customer buy this thing from you?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David

Certainly no hard feelings and maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. I'm just trying to ascertain what it is you do (precisely), and the vagueness and references to things like directing traffic to your landing page and list building for some reason have me thinking you've enrolled on some tiered marketing scheme or other.

Perhaps you could clarify further if that is not the case. I, for example, provide online marketing services to the tourist industry, covering everything from web design and marketing through to SEO, social media and blogging. Do you cater for a particular niche, do you have specific clients that your services are best suited to?

I looked up your composer page but that didn't tell me anything about your internet marketing activities. Perhaps now is the time to tell us a link where we can find more about that, for the sake of clarification.

Paul
gadadave
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you provide these services? - Are you a web designer? Do you blog and tweet do make a living? Or are you just traveling and make notes?

With no word did I mention that you would get any information about my IM activities on my composer page ( - that wouldn't make any sense, would it?)

I try to set foot in the affiliate marketing business, - I thought that was clear.

My goodness.
(Don't bother- I'll sign out)

best,
David
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadadave wrote:
How do you provide these services? - Are you a web designer? Do you blog and tweet do make a living? Or are you just traveling and make notes?

I'm not sure what you mean by "how do I provide these services?". I do do web design and that's how I started out, but less so nowadays as I find it's increasingly competitive with far more people with a design background doing it who have grown up with the technical skills whereas once upon a time it was the technical skills that were a stumbling block for many. I do also blog to make a living, yes... increasingly so as I believe affiliate marketing (which is how we've made much of our money over the last decade) is - to some extent - a dying industry. I am not just travelling and making notes, though this does sometimes form part of my work.

gadadave wrote:
With no word did I mention that you would get any information about my IM activities on my composer page ( - that wouldn't make any sense, would it?)

Dave, calm down... I never said you did. I just went to that page (because it's all I had to go on) in the hope that there might be a link across to another site that might tell me more. I'm genuinely interested to hear more about what you are doing - you never know, maybe I or others can even help.

gadadave wrote:
I try to set foot in the affiliate marketing business, - I thought that was clear.

My goodness.
(Don't bother- I'll sign out)

Not quite sure why you're being so sensitive. That certainly wasn't clear because it's the first time you've even mentioned affiliate marketing in this thread.

Care to tell us more? What are you trying to sell? Which merchant(s)/network(s) are you working with? Are you focussing on any particular niche? I do have quite a lot of affiliate marketing experience - we used to make over £100,000 of sales per month for one merchant alone.

People can help more, the more you offer. The more you refuse to offer information, the more I end up suspecting (perhaps quite wrongly) that you're involved in MLM of some kind. If you are, I want to help you and others avoid that pitfall.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, it may not necessarily be the case that David is involved with, or even interested in, MLM schemes. Many people who talk in this way are involved in MMO schemes. (MMO - make money online)

MMO used to mean earning a living online. Now the term is mostly used to make money online by purporting to teach others to make money online. Apart from the "gurus" at the top of the tree, it's mostly newbies teaching newbies. The only people who make money from such activities are the gurus themselves. And they have all kinds of cartels and tactics that most people would never even imagine could happen.

Similarly, IM, Internet Marketing used to just mean using the Internet as a means of selling your (or your merchants') goods and services. (Just like we do.) Now it has come to mean selling MMO stuff.

Most people who aren't steeped in the industry don't realise these subtle shifts which have taken place over the years.

I was going to say that I could write a book on this subject. Actually, I did! Laughing (Paul, if you want to read it and have an Amazon account I'll send it to you as a "gift".)

Part of the problem with the MMO brigade is that they suck people into what's like a cult of believers. The believers want to believe. It's very difficult to get them to discuss anything other than their blind faith in the teachings of the guru they're following. And it's just about impossible to get them to explain why they think it works. They tend to get defensive rather than being willing to participate in any rational debate about it.

I'm not saying that's what happening in this particular case, but it really would be nice if David could tell us a bit more detail about what, specifically, he's interested in with his online business.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kay

Haven't come across the acronym MMO before. To be honest, that sounds like a form of MLM to me.

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it is MLM in a way. It's certainly about the guys at the top building "reverse sales funnels" and all that kind of jargon. They sell a blueprint, or recipe, to teach people how to make money online. But the thing is that they don't actually make money online themselves by following their own recipes - they make money online by telling other people how to do it and getting them to sell their MMO products as affiliates.

Really, if you don't know about this stuff, then you should read my book. The title is "Snake Oil!", that should give you some idea of what this business is about.

In the MMO industry, there are many gurus. And many of them are in various cartels. There are also many cult followers. And every time a guru launches a new MMO product, the cult followers queue up to buy it. It's quite scary.

No one ever seems to ask these questions:

- How come if your make money online product is so good you're spending your time selling it rather than making money?

- If your first MMO product worked, then I'd be rich by now and not queueing up for the next one, no?

Really, people do buy these things. I don't know why. I did try some just to see what they're like. You know me, I try (almost) anything at least once. But I did try them - I've even written about some of my attempts with them - they never worked for various reasons. I was too cynical to follow the cult, I wasn't very easy to brainwash, I couldn't be convinced by something which even a high school drop out could become a millionaire with. It just didn't work for me. But it does work for a lot of people. (I mean the belief works, not the reality of making money.) And that's why I published the Snake Oil book. I expect that the people who would benefit most from it won't read it because it's not what they want to hear.

I'm surprised you've not heard of MMO before. It's a HUGE industry. That said, you run a decent online business so there's no need for you to know about that. I'd never heard of it either until a couple of years ago when I landed a writing job which required me to delve into it. Boy, did I get my eyes opened. It's a very murky industry indeed. Interesting, though. I've continued to keep an eye on it and even have my own personal blog now which mentions that kind of stuff fairly often.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of 'making money online' schemes before, just wasn't aware of the acronym. As you say, it's something I wouldn't give a second look which is probably why I'm not very au fait.

Of course, all this may well not be something that David is involved with, I want to make that clear (and I've stressed that all along). Only the way it's been described so far, and without details being seemingly forthcoming, I'm just a little sceptical...
Epiphany
Secretary
Secretary

23 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum David Smile Sorry to hear about the job search, hope it goes better soon.
Farrey82
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm new to the forum also and I was reading all your comments so I wanna know is the MMO a scam then? Also Kay wanna know more bout that book "snake oil". Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Introductions Forum     <<<   If you're new, post here first! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum