AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do women work better in teams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldctrsteve
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Do women work better in teams? Reply with quote

Yes, I am a man who is gate-crashing the 'Women in Business' forum; however, I do have a reason for doing so. If I may, let me provide some background information to explain the context of this message.

After 20 years of working in international business, I went back to school to obtain my MBA. Like me, most participants in the program were mature students. The ratio of men to women was about 2:1. The program was cohort-based, and most courses required significant team activity. It soon became clear that women in the class were more driven and obtained better grades; they contributed more to class discussions and seemed more at ease working in teams. Interestingly, I noticed a clear correlation: The more teamwork required in a course, the more the women in the class excelled.

During that 2-year program, I found that I worked very well with one of my teammates, one of the women in the class. We graduated in May 2004, founded our own company in June 2004, and have spent the last 12 months creating and perfecting our product. I really respect her natural communication skills, her work ethic, and her plain good sense.

During the first four months of this year, we ran a comprehensive beta trial of our interactive online courses in business communication. We advertised for participants from around the world and managed to attract a core group of about 20 people. The remarkable thing is that women outnumbered men 3:1. By the end of the trial, the women in the class were so enthused about our courses that they were asking to sell them, inviting us to attend trade shows, and so on. We couldn't have asked for more!

As I consider my MBA experience and the results of our beta trial, I am led to an obvious conclusion: Women work better in team settings while men prefer to work as lone rangers. The social aspect of our courses - we really stress class interaction - is what enthused the women participating in our beta trial.

What do others think about this? Are women more effective team players than men? Do women prefer working in teams than working alone? If so, what are the implications to today's business world?

Bringing the question closer to home, should my business partner and I be targeting women as a primary audience for our interactive online courses?

"Excellence in communication!"
Lorraine Bowness Wedding
Secretary
Secretary

23 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a new web business I have found that other women have been most helpful and we have bounced ideas off each other to each others benefit - open ing up new areas of thought.

I am hetrosexual but linked with a lesibian B+B as they found their couples wanted photos together but were too shy to go to a "normal" photographer. Now they are thinking of doing same sex weddings and I can get access to their mailing list to promote my services in this area.

I think women just get on and do things - either alone or in teams in a whatever it takes kind of way but I think we are best in teams.

Lorraine
vortex2000
PA
PA

41 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think women do work well together. Why? Back in the pioneer days women use to gather up at one place and do the cooking, sewing,etc Thay had each other for support while the men worked all day in the fields.
In today's society women that stay home to raise their kids while their husbands work do have the tendency to become lonely. They just don't have the adult conversation they need. In the pioneer days they had everyone to talk to for moral support. I think women really work well together and as a result they accomplish alot. Just my opinion for what it is worth.
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think women can work easily in teams together and I would expect targetting training that focuses on team work to women would be a wise thing to do.

Women tend to be better communicators because that's acceptable for us, so that would be useful for you too.

From my experience most trainers are women as well and are good at it.

Men in the corporate world are encouraged to exercise their ego more while women get ahead by getting things done - ego tends to get in the way of delivering on projects.

I wish you all the best with your business.

Advertise in our Women's Magazine online.
gumihomiho
PA
PA

32 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, women are more responsible in anything that she wanna do. Specially, in business, a woman is a multitasking person. Whatever activity she faces, she did her job with her best as to be equal in man. Even so, man and woman are both have negative and positive side indeed. It depends to the person on how he/she handle a business. Smile
sabsaddie
Secretary
Secretary

6 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really quite sure if it follows.

That is because in my case, I have a team of virtual workers both men and women from all over the world and as I have observed, performance isn't really affected at all by gender.

Through monitoring them, I realized that the only factor that affects us in our performance is the work environment. You just have to make sure that they enjoy and are comfortable with their work.

I have both men and women that excel in their work and we are all in one team.
FelixBrown
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabsaddie wrote:
I am not really quite sure if it follows.
That is because in my case, I have a team of virtual workers both men and women from all over the world and as I have observed, performance isn't really affected at all by gender.
Through monitoring them, I realized that the only factor that affects us in our performance is the work environment. You just have to make sure that they enjoy and are comfortable with their work. I have both men and women that excel in their work and we are all in one team.

Virtual environment is different, and it also entails working solo. The question at hand is whether women work better in a social environment, in teams. It is a strange phenomenon, s in all other areas, men like to form gangs and do things together, like in sports, or any leisure activity, but it seems that when it comes to professional activities, they rather not have anyone tell them what to do, or ruin their chances by being "not as good". It really is an interesting topic, we should tell about it to our friends with a degree in psychology. I'd be interested in their findings.
mojito8
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think women are better because they are less competitive in general. Men, on the other hand, usually fight for leadership. This is nature, We cannot do much about it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum