AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-Postcards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other AardvarkBusiness.net Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul25
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: E-Postcards Reply with quote

I have a question for Aaron, and anyone else. We were thinking of adding an e-postcard function on our website and I had a couple of questions.

(1) generally do you think they add anything of marketing value - i.e. bringing in new customers - or are they just a nice feature (which would not be bad in itself)

(2) Aaron - I remember reading somewhere that you were going to offer some kind of function through Aardvark but I can't find the thread again

If anyone else has some recommendations about a good place to get this function for our site it would be appreciated.
TheHeroinesHandbag
Vice President
Vice President

398 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this belongs in webmarketing?

But yes they are a nice feature. I couldn't say as to whether they will pull in new customers, I think it's somethting more to offer existing customers as something they might neat to use and by placing your advertising (even subtle) on it is just that much more advertising and makes the customer do the advertising for you.

For instance I was a Head Admin at a community site where we implemented using e-cards, they became immensely popular and we even offered a feature for the members of the site to make their own and win points for doing so. Not too mention that everytime someone sent their friend an e-card we were potentially reaching a new visitor who would come and visit our site and hopefully join up and not only be a member but then purchase items we were selling and get involved with other activities.

I think it depends on the kind of site you have and the kind of customer base but I think in many instances it's a relatively easy, and often free gimmick that works for all parties concerned.
paul25
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... I put the post here because of the question to Aaron about whether Aardvark would offer this feature - but they can move it wherever they like!

The idea about people making their own is interesting...especially with a travel site such as ours! I wasn't really thinking of heavy marketing, just a nice feature that might bring in a few more visitors. Did you get a lot of new members when you had them?
TheHeroinesHandbag
Vice President
Vice President

398 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't give you a figure but I think it did get people to at least visit the site once as to whether that caused them to join I couldn't say but definitely the existing members loved it.

Mind you we did put a lot of effort into it. I designed about a hundred cards for all kinds of holidays to get us started and then we opened it to the membership and just one admin would accept or reject the submissions.

Doing it that way was good because then the stock didn't get stale. However, our site was/is a very interactive community site with lots of creative activities so it fit really well.
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. The thread you were looking for is here. We are planning to release both the mailing list script and the password script in the next two to three weeks... sooner if we can. They will be the culmination of many weeks of hard work, and we feel sure you'll be pleased with what we're piecing together. The emphasis will be upon the ease of implementation for website owners. We will have separate forums for each of these items (on a separate Aardvark board), but more on that later. Your post here is fine for now.

As for whether they add anything to the site, I think they can do. They can also be an unncessary gimmick. It all depends on the nature of your site IMO. I'm not just saying this but I think travel is ideally suited to a postcard script. We come from a travel background ourselves which is why the postcard script will be one of the first to be released.

Regards

Aaron
paul25
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks THH and Aaron for all the information!

I'll keep an eye out for the Aardvark feature when its ready
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to remember to drop a note in here when it is. Smile

Aaron
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone thought of offering a video postcard service? It would basically let people record their own video message and works in the same way as an e-postcard (create the message -> send to recipitent -> they click on hyperlink back to your site -> view message)

Could prove something different to the standard e-card system.
paul25
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw something similar as this from, I think the Flying pig Hostel in Amsterdam. Friends of mine were there and they has a webcam in the bar and my friends sent me the video from a special 'Pig mail' (or something) terminal in the bar
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the idea. Beats a normal postcard don't you think?
paul25
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a great idea if you have a hostel, or a nightclub or something...but I originally asked the question for our website which is a hostel booking/backpacker site and I was wondering how the guests could enter their video clips? The same way as with a photo? I know a lot of digital cameras now have video function so i guess they could do it...

If it could work it would be an excellent service, particularly for people travelling around who want to send their parents/friends a little click of themselves in front of the Trevi Fountain or the eiffel tower!
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul25 wrote:
I think its a great idea if you have a hostel, or a nightclub or something...but I originally asked the question for our website which is a hostel booking/backpacker site and I was wondering how the guests could enter their video clips? The same way as with a photo? I know a lot of digital cameras now have video function so i guess they could do it...

If it could work it would be an excellent service, particularly for people travelling around who want to send their parents/friends a little click of themselves in front of the Trevi Fountain or the eiffel tower!

Yeah, sure it could be done like that. Failing that it could be done via a webcam in an Internet cafe, hotel, hostel etc. and all users come to your site to view the video.
paul25
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips!...I'll pass it all on to our technical boffins and we see what we can come up with
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're stuck then we can provide you a video messaging application. Have a look at www.webvideo4u.co.uk/products/video_messaging.html for a few more details.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Has anyone thought of offering a video postcard service?

You mean as in the one mentioned on your web site? Wink

It would certainly be a nice idea, although most digi cameras that I've seen save in AVI format which is really bad news for bandwidth and disk space (admittidly they could be zipped).

If we could guarantee to make serious Adsense money from it, using that Flash based system combined with the existing Aardvark Internet frontend would be one alternative, but I doubt we could afford the prices...

Btw, anyone else got any freebie tool ideas they want on their sites? So far this week we've had a vote for postcards and one for mailing list. Do we have a mole in our office or has the Aardvark been talking in his sleep...? Smile

Oh and as for launch date - erm, yes. It got put back slightly again today after Aaron came up with a better idea when theres an error although I don't think it's too far off.

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other AardvarkBusiness.net Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum