AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World's cleverest woman can't get work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: World's cleverest woman can't get work Reply with quote

A Bulgarian woman rated the world's cleverest wants a British firm to give her a job after spending two years on the dole.

Bulgarian Daniela Simidchieva, a mother of three, has five Masters Degrees and an IQ of almost 200. She's listed by the country's Mensa office as the world's cleverest but despite sending off hundreds of applications she still hasn't found a job. Her IQ is the same as that of chemist Marie Curie who was the first person to win the Noble Prize twice but cannot even get a cleaning job.

Daniela said: "I love learning, but I also want to work. In the last 44 years I have studied economics, education and sociology at universities in Bulgaria and Britain. I am qualified as an industrial engineer, as an English teacher and as an electrical engineer as well as having my five Masters degrees. "But in Bulgaria I have found that employers do not want clever employees. Even when I had a job, the largest salary I ever managed was just £90 a month."

Aaron
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a case of bosses not wanted employees to be smarter than them do you think?
Thais
President
President

0 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!!
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess it's partly a case of being a little over qualified for many jobs outside of Universities and research type placements - another reason never to go to uni.

I can't imagine she'll get a job as a cleaner or similar as everyone is going to assume she'll get bored within 5 minutes. Also brains ain't everything - the right personality for the work place is a definite requirement.

Trev
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she can just hide her background. I did once.

For number of reasons, I never actually worked for this organization (to put it politely), but as I walked into the office and talked to one of representatives, I knew that it's not a place where everyone has college diploma and has descent education. I hesitated to put the name of the university that I got my degree from (which is not Harvard but all right school, in US West Coast, anyway). I think you need to make some adjustment to get a job from time to time, as long as you are not lying.

Here's another example; when I got my first job as a software engineer, I stretched my experience and education a lot, I mean a lot, in retrospect. Otherwise, I would not have gotten the job. Adjustment, at least in appearance.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd guess it's partly a case of being a little over qualified for many jobs outside of Universities and research type placements - another reason never to go to uni.

This is something often said that I've never really understood. How can you possibly be overqualified for something? To use a footballing analogy Ronaldo would be overqualified for Altringham (sorry Aaron Wink ) but he'd still do a much better job than the existing people who are perhaps more adequately qualified.

In my eyes you can never have anyone that is overqualified for a post, only employers not skilled enough to exploit an individuals obvious talents.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's one potential problem. Let's say that the business has fixed revenue and looks for someone who fits into that revenue/budget. If over-qualified candidate takes the job, he/she will probably not be satisfied with it. Kind of responsibility he has, kind of money he makes, etc. There is great chance that he will just look for another job and leave the position soon. If that happens, you'll have to look for someone else again. It's important that you find someone who fits in.
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a perfect description of overqualified:

A while back I was looking for a job after being laid of from my last place of employment. My employers contract got canceled over night, and he laid me off the next day. Me and 20 other guys working on the same project.

So, out I went to look for work. As a computer tech (the job I got laid off from was installing high speed cable modems to non-commercial clients), I was told I would easily get into a computer sales position in the local PC stores. Nope, didn't even get an interview.

In hindsight, many people are telling me that I am over qualified. A) I would probably get bored easily and they would have to go through the rehiring process B) I'd be selling people machines that they NEED, not the ones that the store wants sold ($3,000 PC that no human ever needs at home).

I guess overqualified makes a lil sense, although it can be frustrating. I suppose in the future I should downplay my abilities and bump into a few walls or something... maybe then I'll be "average enough". lol Very Happy

Anyway, not looking for a job now. Never found one, so I created my own and run my own company full steam ahead. Maybe it's swell that none of those jerks ever called me back. Not a SINGLE interview. Sigh. Was I ever bummed out back then.
overweightnomore
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Adigaskell, sometimes bosses feel intimidated when hiring people with better qualifications than temselves. About the football analogy with Ronaldo being overqualified for some teams, well, I want him for AC MILAN!
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overweightnomore wrote:
About the football analogy with Ronaldo being overqualified for some teams, well, I want him for AC MILAN!

What's wrong with Shevchenko? He's injured and all, but should recover in time.
overweightnomore
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao Author Message foundThroughAdminSig !!

Nothing is wrong with SHEVAAAA. He is not for sale either... he belongs to MILAN. Glad to know that Inzaghi is coming back too... It will be a dream to see RONALDINHO with AC MILAN! awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
rachel
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being intelligent and knowledgeable does not necessarily mean you are skilled or experienced though - as many graduates without jobs and many successful business leaders without O-Levels will testify.

Being employable is (most of the time) surely not just about how much you know about a subject? I guess it depends if she can demonstrate ability and commitment to the kind of work she is going after.
nRG
Executive
Executive

172 ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bytech wrote:
I think I have a perfect description of overqualified:

Too True, I guess you need to find a middle ground between average and overqualified..so i guess..above average? LOL..

storys unfortunate. I doubt she would have a problem findind a well paying job in N.America. :S

Management probably plays a role in the fact that she can't get a job..how much would you hire the Worlds Smartest Woman for?

Confused
nRG
#1 in Weight Loss-FREE! 30 Day Supply
www.FitnessHealthPro.com
Worlds #1 SuccessBook
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
snanny
Executive
Executive

212 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry -this is just my opinion but there must be other possibilities for her and she is not using them. Starting a company doesn't cost much. I think that person has some personal issues why she doesn't find work. Rolling Eyes
Thais
President
President

0 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to work in an office, the HR dept explained to me that if they hire over-qualified people, they stay in the job only so long & if they get passed over for promotion, they get cross, frustrated & bored & move on. This is an expense to the company..having to go through the process of finding someone else. So that's why bosses are so loathe to hire people who are far too good for the job on offer. It makes sense, doesn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum