AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow Server Responses from Aardvarkbusiness.net

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other AardvarkBusiness.net Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Slow Server Responses from Aardvarkbusiness.net Reply with quote

Not sure if there is anyone else this is happening to, that is why I thought I'd post public. Since I returned to the forums here, seems that the response to my click usually takes 5-8 seconds. Maybe more. Never noticed it before. Aaron, any idea on the server load? Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case this is something that needs to be looked into...
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This server load is quite high from time to time, caused largely by Teoma trying to follow every link in the SERPs, I think. I'm not getting noticing the kinds of delays you're describing, though.

Anyone else?

Aaron
DarrenC
Vice President
Vice President

439 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem here Aaron.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a combination of MSNbot although thats slowed a bit recently, Teoma as mentioned which is facinated with our search results pages and Googlebot although that one does behave.

This would probably work fine except the search engine runs on a combo of Perl CGI script and Berkeley Database, neither of which is anything like as fast as PHP & MySQL so when Teoma does 3+ requests a second things get a little interesting... Smile

A final thing that might not be helping is that you'll be accessing things a bit when we're asleep which is the time the server also does its housework with everything from log files to other CRON stuff running throughout the night.

It's not exactly a slow server - P4 2.8, 1GB from memory with about half a dozen sites on it, but it appears we're just too darn popular... Wink

Trev
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a tracert and while I get a few 200+ms towards the end (the end seems to be pretty clean with 100-140ms responses), the biggest problems seems to be... MY END? Hmmm... First hop screws up which is weird because I am only noticing this problem with you guys. Did you guys just change DNS addresses or anything like that? Maybe bumping into some old table somewhere? Weird. In any case does not seem to be yer side after all... should have done the tracert before opening my yap/this thread. Smile
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing's been changed at our end. Members may have experienced slightly slower response times for a couple of hours earlier today as we did a mailing to notify all members of the Aardvark Business search engine of one of the free website tools we're launching. Other than that, it's been business as usual. Smile

Aaron
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. first hop - that might depend which route the traffic is taking out. For example if it's heading to the US then it might use a different pipe to any data heading for us.

In theory though you should get the same problem with any site in the UK as virtually all UK traffic seems to flow through Lynx in London where the big pipe pops out the ground and we're in Global Crossing which is about 100 yards away.

If you traceroute www.aardvarksport.net do you also get problems? Thats on a different server which is generally less loaded situated about 3' from the one hosting Aardvark Business and Aardvark Travel.

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other AardvarkBusiness.net Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum