AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using celebrities for advertising
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Using celebrities for advertising Reply with quote

Picking a celebrity to front your campaign is always tempting. But there's a serious risk it will backfire. There's loads of examples... Tiger Woods turned from Nike back to his original brand when his performance dipped. Jamie Oliver admitted his restaurant wasn't supplied by Sainsbury's. Britney Spears drank Coke whilst endorsing Pepsi. The list goes on and on... so why is it that advertisers and agencies persist with using celebrities, do you think? Surely they think it is a risk that's still worth taking?

Aaron
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the main reason is that there is still a fairly large group, like in reality probably most of the population. That will see a celebrity doing somthing or here them endorse somthing and that is enough for them. To add to this i think many people cannot tell the difference between an endorsement and just ordinary use. Sorry i am not saying that they are dumb or stupid.

But many of the people that the advertising influences are not going to go out of there way to go and check if jamie oliver actully uses what he promotes. Or if Britney Does drink Pepsi all the time. They are swayed by the TV power of advertising. To add to this i dont know but i would imagine that a celebrity talking aboout your product is going to greatly increase you immediate sales, the people who are highly influenced arnt going to wait around in case somthing comes out why they shouldnt do what the celebrity says they will see the ad and do it.

Ok a cele may be bad in the long run to counter what they are advertising but in the short term they can be a real good addition to a campaign i think.
satisfaction GUARANTEED
PA
PA

30 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think celebritys can be powerful marketing tools simply because specific celebrities serve as "niche" figures. Britney Spears, for example, is used by Pepsi because youth (and older perverts) will associate their product with someone who portray's a type of glamorous lifestyle that girls want to mimic and guys want to affiliate with - in other words, girls wanna be like Britney and guys wanna do Britney.

Celebrity endorsers can backfire, as was mentioned. Look at Kobe Bryant. Perfect example of a celebrity gone bad. Most of his endorsments were cancelled and ditched him, fearing being labeled as a "corporate support of something society labels bad." This is why companies who pay celebrity figures to promote their product usually apply strict behaviour restrictions before any type of agreement is ever made.

To reiterate, celebrities merely serve as a niche. Celebrities that are "powerful" mothers that openly support various humanistic-causes will most likely be approached by a company seeking to sell sanitary products or mother services/products. Buff, "powerful" celebrities will be used to market some type of gym machine or supplement product. As long as that influence of "He uses it so it must be good/cool/useful/whatever" is established, the company is happy.
ani
Executive
Executive

119 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a celebrity use your product will deffinately benefite your sales but what if a celebrity that you hate from the bottom of your hart uses your product - somebody you cannot stand for a moment - somebody like Rambo Paris Hilton
richkid
Executive PA
Executive PA

46 ants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd have to be very careful having a celebrity fronting your company, cause they not only go waward etc....they also go in and out of fashion quickly....
nRG
Executive
Executive

172 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Consider the fact Reply with quote

that you need to notice celeb attributes..each product could have a positive or negative collaboration effect with its celeb endorsor.

ie) Paris Hilton + Trojan condom endorsement
ie) Tiger Woords + Basket Ball Equipment

Larger coroporations presumbly still use celeb endorsors because of the fact that whether that celeb's identity falls, rises or flatlines for that matter..people recognize the celeb, giving the consumers product/service knowledge and even credibility

nRG
#1 in Weight Loss-FREE! 30 Day Supply
www.FitnessHealthPro.com
Worlds #1 SuccessBook
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should get Natalie Portman to promote us Very Happy
nRG
Executive
Executive

172 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

Even more ideally, Her with an Aardvark. Smile
#1 in Weight Loss-FREE! 30 Day Supply
www.FitnessHealthPro.com
Worlds #1 SuccessBook
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL Reply with quote

nRG wrote:
Even more ideally, Her with an Aardvark. Smile

He's got a wife, musn't get greedy Wink
petertdavis
Executive
Executive

235 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie Portman would make a far nicer looking company mascot than what I'm seeing on the top of the screen now. Laughing
Train Forum
Travel Forum
setcorp
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: celeb status.... Reply with quote

While I tend to agree with the above - I think that the "user" here really are the celebs and not the product they pitch. But, as to who's using who here - the perspective truly is in the eye of the beholder. Funny, I can't see us putting a famous nurse or doctor into our advertising though... seems unethical for our type of service. Products on the other hand, well there you have a playing field like no other. And as long as the endorsements carry huge sums of money there will be celebs to carry their product to the screen. It can work in reverse too. The product can make the person famous.. I will let you think about that....
Providing Workplace Examinations and More!
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Glitter is apparently on Twitter now.

Someone tweeted this ad as a reminder of how using celebrities for your advertising campaign can come back to haunt you!

Mark Pickering
PA
PA

24 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. One of the hotels I used to do marketing for had a photo of Gary Glitter performing at a local venue in it. No matter how hard I tried, I could never convince them that this was a bit of a faux pas and that the leaflets should be reprinted!
printbucket
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using celebrities for promotion gives a business the advantage of easy recognition. People get to know about a product through its link with the celebrity endorser. That's basically how it works. Though I think it's kind of nave to think that celebrities will use only the products that they promote.
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it backfires very often in reality. There are plenty of lower rung celebs doing their bit regularly and helping the marketing without any scandal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum