AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Google still be number 1 by the end of 2005?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Will Google still be number 1 by the end of 2005? Reply with quote

Alot of website owners were very annoyed at the Google update in the weeks leading up to Christmas. The results still seem a bit odd for many keywords.

If Google carry on down this road will they continue to be top of the search engine charts by the end of 2005 or will Yahoo and MSN close the gap?
bbott
Executive PA
Executive PA

84 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanna mention Google's stock price is $204.00 before I start this.. Laughing

I don't think Google will disappear from our sights anytime soon or in the far future!! Hopefully the new MSN will launch soon and give google a run for their money.

Webmasters nearly worship google following their PR updates and monthly backlink updates. Think about it... Yahoo updates their database not very often so webmasters deal with it. Google on the other hand is always on the go doing something and getting webmasters all worked up. They may be pissing some webmasters off - they're also keeping the "GOOGLE" name in their heads - and this creates brand awareness. Wink
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wanna mention Google's stock price is $204.00 before I start this..

This means nothing. Companies like Global Crossing had good share prices once Wink

Quote:
Webmasters nearly worship google following their PR updates and monthly backlink updates. Think about it... Yahoo updates their database not very often so webmasters deal with it. Google on the other hand is always on the go doing something and getting webmasters all worked up. They may be pissing some webmasters off - they're also keeping the "GOOGLE" name in their heads - and this creates brand awareness.

I don't think webmasters matter as much as the users. If Google continues to serve odd results in its serps then the users will move to Yahoo or MSN. If that happens and sites start to get more traffic from either Yahoo/MSN than Google then they will start to care more about Yahoo/MSN than they do about Google.

Google need to remember that it was great search results that got them where they are and not fall into the trap that befell Alta Vista.
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With innovation comes disruption...

Google will cater more and more to the end user, vs. the web master. I think we are begining to see that more with things like significantly reduced updates to the PR bar (just to give you an example).

As Google gets more powerful as a search tool, more and more people will realise its power and try to harness it. Google will be forced into more and more drastic measures to counter that. At the end of the day I think Google will prevail.

It is sort of like web design: anyone can learn "web design" and make a website in 15 minutes. Same goes for building search engines. The real test is time, and Google has more time on its side than companies like M$. Those who have been at it for a long time do have a better product than those that picked up an HTML book and copied some code.

Sure, M$ will turn up the heat with its marketing and deep pockets. This is no different than someone selling an inferior product but selling a lot of it due to agressive marketing. M$ is famous for that... having significantly inferior products dominating the market. If they do dominate the market it will once again be with an inferior product that the masses use "because it is right on their desktop", and the average user won't bother to look for alternatives.

I think M$ forgot a long time ago what it is like to compete in the market with a good product. For too long have they depended on their gorilla tactics to gain market share and when it comes to making a quality product and competing on those basis, they wouldn't know black from white, up from down, and day from night.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually wondering if it would matter to Google if they dropped off the top spot, as long as they do something reasonably good.

Since they promote Adsense a bit more these days, I'm sure any shift towards MSN would be more than compensated by the continuing revenue increases from Adsense for Google, especially with the new Adsense for Search facility.

Also, as more people become reliant on Adsense, the more they'll stick with and promote Google to their friends therefore Adsense itself could eventually turn any shift to MSN back in Google's favour (in theory).

Now if MSN brought out an Adsense system, then things might get very interesting... Smile

Trev
Business Advancement
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Google will cater more and more to the end user, vs. the web master"

Google is big because of its consumer base and thats fact.

In addition I would like to point out that the only reason that googles add sence is so popular with business owners or webmaster is due to this fact that google holds more market share than any SE.

Google has plenty to be worried about but they have lined things up fairly well when it comes to a war with with msn or yahoo.because msn or yahoo would have to try what google does to even compete and then google could change again and hold its take.

google has its spiders on the end user. Makeing it easy to find up to date content with lots of links of high quality. You cant just kick back with google and thats how it is but dare I ask if this is a bad thing without this some people would not be employed..

Antthing not ethical or lazy google knows about kinda like santa guys.

Not every person in business should be able to compete.

Google is just keepin it real

Last edited by Business Advancement on Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:46 am; edited 4 times in total
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Will Google still be number 1 by the end of 2005? Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
If Google carry on down this road will they continue to be top of the search engine charts by the end of 2005 or will Yahoo and MSN close the gap?

It is possible that Yahoo or MSN will bring up the quality of their search engine so that it delivers better SERP than Google over all. It's possible. But even if that will happen by the end of 05, we are looking at 2nd quarter 05 or even 3rd quarter. That only gives Yahoo or MSN 6 months or so to convert users from Google. Not enough time.

Back in 1999, 2000, it was quite clear that Google delivered so much better SERP than AltaVista, previous king of search; however, it took them quite a while to get #1 market share. It took longer than a year, I'm sure of it. So, given that, I don't think Google will lose #1 position by the end of 05.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent newsletter from Search Engine Watch suggested that Googles lead is being cut by Yahoo and MSN. You heard it here first folks Wink
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it provide market share? Like how many percent of the market do Google, Yahoo and MSN hold respectively?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foundThroughAdminSig wrote:
Does it provide market share? Like how many percent of the market do Google, Yahoo and MSN hold respectively?

http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3458351 is the article.

Quote:
Since the last study, Yahoo! has boosted the number of users who said they would consider the site as their primary search engine by more than 20% and MSN by almost 30%.

Perhaps the most significant finding in the study is that searchers are more fickle than many people think. Even though 75% of users say they have a favorite search engine that they turn to first, 50% will turn to another search engine as an alternative if they don't get satisfactory results.

foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I still think Google has strong market share; if I remember correctly, Google has much stronger market share outside of US, which includes English speaking countries like UK, Australia and Canada. Personally, I'd like Yahoo and MSN to get more market share, but ...
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Google still has a strong market share but for the past few years there hasn't really been much of an alternative. Now Yahoo have improved their organic search results and MSN have launched their new search engine web users have three decent search engines to use + some of the smaller players such as Ask Jeeves.

The competition should be good for all concerned.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
I agree that Google still has a strong market share but for the past few years there hasn't really been much of an alternative.

This is true. Additionally, Yahoo was using Google as well.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Google still be number 1 by the end of 2005? IMO, a resounding yes.

Google have such a lead on the competition right now that I think they'd have to do a lot wrong to get people to stop using them within the period of just 12 months. They have a much stronger ad inventory in the form of AdWords than any of their competitors, a better search engine, and the best contextual ad service for Web publishers by a mile.

Even if something better does come along, it takes time for that news to filter throughout the global internet community, so it's a gradual process and will take time. People might not change even if there's something out there that's better, if they're already happy with what they're using. I still see Google being number 1 by the end of 2006 right now...

Paul
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lead they have will be eroded but they will stay on top for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum