AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google IPO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Accountancy & Finance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Google IPO Reply with quote

Google is expected to make its stock market debut during the first half of 2004, creating a level of excitement rarely seen since the dot-com gold rush.

After three years of fear and loathing, are investors ready to embrace the initial public offerings of start-ups again? As they do with many other things in life, lots of people are counting on Google to supply the answer.

Paul
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortune Magazine article regarding Google and possible IPO:

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,548765,00.html
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed a good article until I clicked on the 'more' link and they asked me to register. Evil or Very Mad (Sorry, just having a moan, but I feel that publications that do this are shooting themselves in the foot when they do that kind of thing.)

Anyway, returning to the topic, reports emerged yesterday that two investment banks, Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs Group, had been hired to conduct the Initial Public Offering of shares in the company.

No confirmation has been received yet of an IPO date, although speculation at present seems to be centred around a date in April.

Paul
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

The full article was available for free when it was first posted. Sorry about that. The article is worth registration if you feel inclined to invest in Google, IMO. It offers a glimpse of what is happening within the company.
toddieg
PA
PA

36 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely going to buy shares of Google! Very Happy
southern oregon real estate
PhilC
PA
PA

26 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely not buy into Google at the IPO. My reasoning is that the nomal life of a major search engine is that is becomes big and then fades away (AV, Lycos, Infoseek, Excite, etc). IMO, Google has already peaked but people don't realise it yet, and they will buy shares at a price that is unrealistically high. But all it takes is for webmasters to decide that another engine is better, the world will move to the other engine, and Google will go into decline. That's how Google made it to the top. It's possible that Google coiuld break the mould, but it's not a gimme.

In the height of the .com boom websites were grossly overvalued, and all the shares dropped greatly in price. I can see the same thing happening with Google share prices although, unusally, Google is profitable at the present time. But, as I said, all it takes is for webmasters to decide that another engine is better and that'll be the end of Google as we know it.

http://www.webworkshop.net/
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PPC / trademark issue may also bite into Google's current revenue stream.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BernardErtl wrote:
Paul,

The full article was available for free when it was first posted. Sorry about that.

Not a problem, Bernard. I haven't registered as yet, but will do some time soon. Before reading (and perhaps being influenced by) the article, I'd just like to say a few words (and I am hope I'm not repeating the article content in doing so). As Phil points out, Google may have already peaked. I think AdSense was a 'stroke of genius' but, aside from that, you could say that Google has been in a state of slow decline for some time. It was in October, 2002 when Yahoo! was set to renew a deal paying Google to provide Web search results. In 2001, Yahoo! paid Google $7.1 million for an exclusive deal.

Yahoo! renewed its deal with Google, agreeing to pay a defined rate per number of search queries served and it dropped the exclusivity, meaning that Yahoo! could turn to alternative providers. In November and December 2002 Overture won a series of key contracts in paid-advertising - in particular with CNN and associated sites, which receive more than 30 million unique visitors each month, on paid searches. The balance of power is shifting ever so slightly - it might take a long time for Google not to be the search engine of choice, but it will surely happen eventually.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Accountancy & Finance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum